TJ steering box replacement - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 723778
TJ steering box replacement

Just picked up a 2001 TJ for my son's first car. Steering box is leaking...looking to slap a reman unit in there from RockAuto. Is ACDelco a good unit or should I be looking at something else? This is pretty much for a street application - no need for anything upgraded at this time.

Thanks!
chad0429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 245961
Get a Durango box

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
cmecha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 56430
Buying rebuilt steering boxes is a pig-in-a-poke. You never know which is good, until after installing.

I've had far better luck with buying a used OEM box.

That typed, I'm still fond of the PSC units. I've had good luck, and good customer service there.

The 'Durango' box was a two year run, where the Durango box was a 'bigger' unit that was a direct replacement for the TJ box. The mounting brackets, and everything interchange, but, the actual gears inside were bigger, making it more robust.

The new PSC units utilize this larger case / gears.

There are many aftermarket vendors selling 'reman' and 'new' steering boxes, and debating which is best is like the Toyota -v- Jeep debate. Nobody wins.. however, I still like PSC best, and think AGR is least.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 182743
Something else about a used “Durango” box is that there are 2 different boxes, and you won’t know which one you have until you have it in your hands. West Texas offroad told me there is a Saginaw box and a “china brand” box. I do not know the differences other than their kit for the china box was ridiculously expensive because of the bearing on the sector shaft.

So if you are after a Durango box, try to find the Saginaw version, it should have the Saginaw logo on it somewhere.

S10 boxes are very similar internally, possibly the same, to a yj box, but I don’t know how similar they are to a tj box. Main difference between s10 and yj is 3 vs 4 mounting tabs.
_Stucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2019, 06:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 97171
just be sure to stay away from anything from A1-Cardone. A1-cardone is sold thru most major auto parts stores such as NAPA, CARQUEST. Absolute junk.
I believe you can pick up a reman box by LARES for about 100.00 off rockauto.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 193413
You could send your box to West Texas Offroad and they will fully rebuild it.
jeepson33s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Anyone know what it takes to rebuild???
Machining??? Or just seals and such???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 111998
If your box is still tight you could pull it off and put new seals in the input shaft and pitman shaft in less than an hour. Order a seal kit from rockauto for about $14. No need to pull the big piston with all the ball bearings or any of that. Just mark the input, unscrew it, replace both seals and put it back the way you found it. Then take off the 4 bolts from the pitman adjuster, pull the shaft and replace both output seals and the gasket. Back off the adjuster put it together and use pliers to move the box while adjusting the screw back in until you get it as tight as you can without binding. Most slop I’ve seen in TJs is from worn steering joints or the mad design of the linkage itself. I think ruffstuff makes a nylon spacer for the linkage that helps keep it from rolling and takes out slop. They call it “the cure”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler76010 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 182208
Same here, I recently bought a 99 TJ with a leaky box. I replaced it with a Redhead box. I can not say enough good about their customer service. Great service great product all at a great price. Zero regrets
GunslingerFab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 191442
No need to disassemble the Saginaw box to remove the pitman seals!

Remove the pitman arm.

Remove the large internal snap ring that holds in the seals with snap ring pliers.

Put the pitman arm back on very loosely with the nut (This is to catch the old seals)

Put a large drain pan under the steering gear to catch what's coming!

Start the engine and turn the steering wheel full left to the limit, the old seals will blow out of the box!

Remove the pitman arm and note the arrangement of the washers and seals.

Clean off the seal surfaces with brake cleaner.

Put some electrical tape over the splines on the pitman shaft to protect the new seals. Grease the new seals and install them into the gear box using a section of pipe or a deep socket that clears the pitman shaft.

Reinstall the snap ring and pitman arm. The torque is 185 ft/lbs. on the pitman arm nut, be sure to use a torque wrench, not an impact gun to install it. Usually a 1-5/16" socket for the nut.

Hope this helps!
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in