Transmission Issues - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 123044
Transmission Issues

Quick back story, I have a 97 Tj that I swapped in a 5.2L and 44RE out of a 99 Dodge Durango a few years back. The transmission now feels like I am in 3rd gear when I start out, sometimes it shifts and sometimes it doesn't. I will be driving down the road and all is well when I notice the engine reving because the damn transmission kicked out of gear.
So took it to the shop knowing it is probably toast. I got a quote for $2,800 to replace it . So I am off to pick it up from the shop and take it home to hopefully find a used one to swap into it before I leave for EJS. I guess what I am asking is this, would you buy a used one from a junk yard or what route would you take? I am just looking for some ideas to decide the best route to take.
Thanks in advance
Slangy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2019, 01:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 21893
How soon do you need a transmission? How much do you want to spend?

I had the same setup in my 97 TJ. A 44RE can be built VERY strong using some 46RE parts. Or you can just put a 46RE in it. You can get a rebuilt one off Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A500-42RE-4...UAAOSwM4xXYvzV

Or a used one with 192,000 miles on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-DODGE-...wAAOSw6qpahQsL

If you have the funds and the time I would go rebuilt. If you have the funds and time I would get a rebuilt performance transmission. I had Martin Saine
MSaine Performance
951-907-0434
build me a 46RE that can handle 600HP as I am building a 5.9 stroked to 6.7 for my TJ right now. Can't wait to try this thing out.
He is a Dodge transmission expert and builds a lot of transmissions for the Dakota guys who are drag racing their trucks. He can do either the 44RE or a 46RE.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Scars are just to remind you of where you have been, Not where you're going.
wildman4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2019, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 191442
In limp mode that trans will start out in second gear.

Have you checked for codes?

Might be something as simple as a bad governor pressure solenoid or pressure sensor (Pretty common). A relatively easy fix not much harder than changing the fluid and filter. Adjusting the bands is often neglected and should be done every 30k.

Check this site:
https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ch...-an-overhaul-2

If hardened seals are causing the intermittent slip (You will have gear ratio error codes). Use of a chemical trans additive often will cure it. KW Trans-X or Motor Purr "Tune Up" work really well.

Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in