School me on Fuel Cell's - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21893
School me on Fuel Cell's

Okay I was never going to run one and said it more than once. I was sticking with a GenRight tank and just going to get one of the stretch versions. I am currently running a GenRight 24.5 gal tank and hate to give it up but to be able to stretch the rear it has to go.

Then my other issue was always that the ones I could find were 15 gallon or smaller. I wanted to stay at 19 gallons or more.

I found this one by Motobuilt: https://www.motobilt.com/product/jee..._tjtj_unlimite

https://genright.com/products/20-gallon-fuel-cell.html

So what does it involve to put one in my TJ and plumb it? What are the drawbacks to running a fuel cell? What about fuel starvation on sidehills or steep climbs or decents? Do you need a remote filler neck? What about fuel smells? I don't run a top but have heard some say it can still be bad.
What about not being street legal? Anyone ever have issues?

I know NOTHING about fuel cells so school me. My only criteria is it has to be 19 gallons or dang close.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Scars are just to remind you of where you have been, Not where you're going.
wildman4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2019, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 690690
GR has a stock location 23 gal. that will allow the strech your looking for, I run the 19 gal. version and a frien runs this, they fit very well.

HOMEPRODUCTSGAS TANKSTJ/LJ (1997-2006)JEEP TJ/LJ CRAWLER™ COMP23 GAS TANK & SKID PLATE (23 GAL)
TJ/LJ Crawler™ COMP Gas Tank & Skid Plate (23 Gal)

Here you can see the indentation to clear the rear differential
GenRight COMP Tank installed, gives you 1" more ground clearance
Top view of the COMP tank installed in the Jeep TJ frame
Front view of the COMP tank installed in the Jeep TJ frame
You can see good departure angle from this side view of the COMP tank in the frame
TJ/LJ Crawler™ COMP Gas Tank & Skid Plate (23 Gal) Dimensions
Reference dimensions to see if it will fit your build
Save
JEEP TJ/LJ CRAWLER™ COMP23 GAS TANK & SKID PLATE (23 GAL)

Brand: GenRight
$1,399.99
SKU: GST-2053
bkh98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2019, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Yes but I am thinking about going back more than the tank would allow. And GenRight has recommended that I use the 20 gal tank instead of the 23 gal tank because of the AiRock system.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 322985
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman4x4nut View Post
Okay I was never going to run one and said it more than once. I was sticking with a GenRight tank and just going to get one of the stretch versions. I am currently running a GenRight 24.5 gal tank and hate to give it up but to be able to stretch the rear it has to go.

Then my other issue was always that the ones I could find were 15 gallon or smaller. I wanted to stay at 19 gallons or more.

I found this one by Motobuilt: https://www.motobilt.com/product/jee..._tjtj_unlimite

https://genright.com/products/20-gallon-fuel-cell.html

So what does it involve to put one in my TJ and plumb it? What are the drawbacks to running a fuel cell? What about fuel starvation on sidehills or steep climbs or decents? Do you need a remote filler neck? What about fuel smells? I don't run a top but have heard some say it can still be bad.

I know NOTHING about fuel cells so school me. My only criteria is it has to be 19 gallons or dang close.

I've been in your shoes- the first time we stretched my TJ, I was dead-set on keeping the fuel tank under the Jeep. So I found one that was similar to GR, but a few hundred $$$ cheaper. It worked pretty well, until I decided that I wanted even more wheelbase. At that point, I jumped from 103" wheelbase to 110". Well, to do that, I obviously had to put a cell behind the seat.

I bought an RCI tank, even though the reviews were luke-warm. Then I heard about Motobilt working on a new tank. So I waited...and I'm glad that I did. I've been running it since early 2017, and I have no complaints at all. It's listed at 15 gallons, but I don't think it holds a true 15 gallons. It re-uses the stock pump/ sending unit. I've never had a fuel starvation issue, and I wheel mine pretty hard.....ups, downs, sidehills, etc.

Can you smell fuel? Yes, sometimes.
Do you need a remote filler neck? No. In my case, we just installed one a few weeks ago, but that's because I've chosen to build a rack over the fuel tank to hold a cooler bag, or tool bag, or power tank.

My kids ride in the back seat of my Jeep on a regular basis, and I'm not afraid of having the fuel right behind them.

I hope this helps. If you want to see pics, I'm happy to share.
beaureed445 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 690690
In your other post you said a 4-5" rear stretch, either tank will get you there, 19.5 gal. 4-5" and the 23 gal. up to 6-7" stretch with a 44 or RJ70, in another post you were talking about a tub stretch for more interior room and now you're considering a cell?
Seems your all over the place, decision, decisions
bkh98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
Quote:
I had a feeling you were going to end up going this way sooner or later. lol

Quote:

That is a nice looking cell, however it wont fit behind the TJ seat. If you want to keep the back seat you need to use one that is 9" wide at the top or it won't fit between the seat and the tail gate

Quote:
Holy Flappin' Gas Bags Batman that's expensive. I doubt I have that much in my entire system. lol However, it has the same issue as the one above.

Quote:
Here is the listing of what I used to install the RCI 2161A into my TJ.

Jeep TJ Fuel Cell Relocation

As for smelling fuel, use the PTFE hoses in my spreadsheet or actual AEROQUIP rubber hoses and you shouldn't get any fuel smells.

For stalling, I've had mine in my cargo area for 4 years and made multiple runs up Sledge Hammer in Johnson's valley and had no issues with stalling.

Quote:
In California, while not "Illegal" to install, sometimes you find Smog techs that will not pass it due to it being not "OEM".

I know NOTHING about fuel cells so school me. My only criteria is it has to be 19 gallons or dang close.[/QUOTE]

If it HAS to be 19gallons or more, then lose the backseat and get a wider one, or get a taller skinnier one and sink it into the floor.

I have a thread that I followed bookmarked at home, I'll see about getting the URL and post it up for you.

[Edited 2019-04-02 @ 11:01am] Here is the thread, it's basically the same for any cell [/Edit]

Joel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DriverJC; 04-02-2019 at 11:02 AM.
DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 21893
I know I have been all over the place. I was set on wanting to keep the tank but get the longer WB so I was going to stretch the frame/tub to get there. But before I start dropping any coin I am trying to look at all my options. So I am rethinking refusing to use a fuel cell. If I use a fuel cell how far back can I go and keep some type of wheel well? I don't want to comp cut my TJ but am thinking of pushing it back as far as I can. I'm going to guess that would but me around a 102-104" WB?

Don't mean to be bouncing all over the place. Just want to get all my ideas figured out.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaureed445 View Post
I've been in your shoes- the first time we stretched my TJ, I was dead-set on keeping the fuel tank under the Jeep. So I found one that was similar to GR, but a few hundred $$$ cheaper. It worked pretty well, until I decided that I wanted even more wheelbase. At that point, I jumped from 103" wheelbase to 110". Well, to do that, I obviously had to put a cell behind the seat.

I bought an RCI tank, even though the reviews were luke-warm. Then I heard about Motobilt working on a new tank. So I waited...and I'm glad that I did. I've been running it since early 2017, and I have no complaints at all. It's listed at 15 gallons, but I don't think it holds a true 15 gallons. It re-uses the stock pump/ sending unit. I've never had a fuel starvation issue, and I wheel mine pretty hard.....ups, downs, sidehills, etc.

Can you smell fuel? Yes, sometimes.
Do you need a remote filler neck? No. In my case, we just installed one a few weeks ago, but that's because I've chosen to build a rack over the fuel tank to hold a cooler bag, or tool bag, or power tank.

My kids ride in the back seat of my Jeep on a regular basis, and I'm not afraid of having the fuel right behind them.

I hope this helps. If you want to see pics, I'm happy to share.
Yes please post some pic's as that would give me a better idea of how it looks. I'd also like to keep my rear storage box so I am thinking I would have to set the tank thru the floor a little.

I'm not going to be running a rear seat as my daughter has her own TJ now. So the underseat drawer is going. If I can fit a tank under that storage box then I can build a rack for stuff where the seat use to be. Or mount the tank in front of the storage box. And have storage in front of the tank? I have 10 1/2" clearance under the box but I could move it up about 1 1/2" so the Motobuilt 19 gal tank would barely fit. So I either recess it or put it in front of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh98 View Post
In your other post you said a 4-5" rear stretch, either tank will get you there, 19.5 gal. 4-5" and the 23 gal. up to 6-7" stretch with a 44 or RJ70, in another post you were talking about a tub stretch for more interior room and now you're considering a cell?
Seems your all over the place, decision, decisions
Yes I am as I am trying to explore all my options. I was dead set on not using a fuel cell but am trying to open my mind to other options. I want as much WB as I can without comp cutting the back.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by wildman4x4nut; 04-02-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 192976
I just installed the 15 gallon Motobilt back in December. Been fairly please with it, my only gripe is I'm not exactly sure where the 15 gallons come from. Been meaning to measure it and figure out what true capacity is but my comfortable wheeling usage is 10 Gallons. Never had any issues with starvation, even when I had my Jeep on it's side at AOP. If I do end up running into issue's then I'll just add the Walboro pickup's at each end of the tank. I will say the stock pump does not touch the bottom of the tank just fyi. If you properly seal and vent the tank you will not have any fuel smell, only time I get fuel smell is when I fill up.

I did a rough install write up for reference here: Click Here
Old 04-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
Quote:
I'm not going to be running a rear seat as my daughter has her own TJ now. So the underseat drawer is going. If I can fit a tank under that storage box then I can build a rack for stuff where the seat use to be. Or mount the tank in front of the storage box. And have storage in front of the tank? I have 10 1/2" clearance under the box but I could move it up about 1 1/2" so the Motobuilt 19 gal tank would barely fit. So I either recess it or put it in front of the box.
If you aren't running a back seat you can almost get as big of a tank as you can find.

I'd measure the area, then find a tank to fit those dimension. However, remember that a tank that is taller will keep fuel around the pickup longer than one that is shorter.

Joel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019, 07:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Motobilt and goatbuilt would get my nod...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in