LJ SYE needed? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 103617
LJ SYE needed?

I recently bought an '06 LJ that's lifted 3". I'm planning to go up to a 4.5" lift. At what point does the SYE become a necessity on the LJ? At 4.5" I've heard both that I'll be fine and that at absolutely need one
I'd like to hear some real world experience here.
While we're on the topic, after installing a SYE and CV driveshaft, I'm aware that the rear axle needs to be rotated to obtain proper u-joint angle. I've heard that this will necessitate relocating the spring mounts, relocating the track bar mount, and can cause shock interference. What's the real story here as well?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Southtowns27; 04-03-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Southtowns27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 864176
My 05 LJ has an SYE with a 4" suspension lift and a 1" deep (UCF) tummy tuck. Pinion angle is about 16 degrees off horizontal. I have shock extender/relocators on the axle, and a track bar relocation bracket. If you don't have an SYE and a CV (Double Cardan) shaft you are going to eat up over half your potential down travel in the driveshaft before binding (16 degrees out of about 30 with a 1310 u joint) just lining the Driveshaft up. The SYE and CV shaft also let you point your pinion up, ramping it towards your rock/obstacle a little. The stock transfer case output is also a huge lever arm with a small diameter. The SYE also upgrades your output from a 27 spline to a 32 spline, and reduces that lever's length hanging off the back of your tcase. It's not just about getting more driveshaft length and a better driveshaft angle - it gets you more girth on your output shaft.
Coils are no more crooked than any lifted TJ without relocating the buckets. Maybe down the road if it bothers you, you can scoot the buckets back on the frame and put in some outboarded shocks.

Last edited by Aggie01; 05-22-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 119189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie01 View Post
My 05 LJ has an SYE with a 4" suspension lift and a 1" deep (UCF) tummy tuck. Pinion angle is about 16 degrees off horizontal. I have shock extender/relocators on the axle, and a track bar relocation bracket. If you don't have an SYE and a CV (Double Cardan) shaft you are going to eat up over half your potential down travel in the driveshaft before binding (16 degrees out of about 30 with a 1310 u joint) just lining the Driveshaft up. The SYE and CV shaft also let you point your pinion up, ramping it towards your rock/obstacle a little. The stock transfer case output is also a huge lever arm with a small diameter. The SYE also upgrades your output from a 27 spline to a 32 spline, and reduces that lever's length hanging off the back of your tcase. It's not just about getting more driveshaft length and a better driveshaft angle - it gets you more girth on your output shaft.
Coils are no more crooked than any lifted TJ without relocating the buckets. Maybe down the road if it bothers you, you can scoot the buckets back on the frame and put in some outboarded shocks.
What did you do to get the UCF to fit on your LJ? I am thinking about going with one on my 05, I also am going with 6 bolt dana 44's front and rear and possibly an atlas. I already have a 4" lift, adjustable control arms and the stuff to outboard the rears and 12" fox shocks. I live a mile from Tom Woods, so drive shafts are not an issue for me. Tim
astjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
What did you do to get the UCF to fit on your LJ? I am thinking about going with one on my 05, I also am going with 6 bolt dana 44's front and rear and possibly an atlas. I already have a 4" lift, adjustable control arms and the stuff to outboard the rears and 12" fox shocks. I live a mile from Tom Woods, so drive shafts are not an issue for me. Tim
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...08-victim.html

I put the AEV belly-up skid on my '06 LJ. I added a 1" body lift and a 1" motor mount lift. I also rotated the Atlas II almost flat.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in