Best clutch to get for a NV3550? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Best clutch to get for a NV3550?

I need a clutch for a NV3550 out of a TJ. It's not going into a TJ, but whatever, and it will be subject to more torque than the stock 4.0 put out. Will be used for mild wheeling and maybe snow, plus street driven.

Normally I just buy a Luk HD unit. Not sure I'm happy with their quality anymore. I actually have a regular Luk sitting on the shelf too, but really not that into running it...

Basically anything off Rockauto is my options.

M-Pact offers a steel-backed high performance one they list as being for "off road" applications, plus other things. They also sell a couple other higher end ones, including a ceramic option. Would any of those be a decent idea?

AMS also offers two, one is a hybrid organic kevlar (whateverthefuck that means) and the other is a kevlar.

Sachs has a ceramic as well. Generally I believe Sachs/ZF to be good quality... They don't carry the Sachs mid range (kevlar) clutch though, just the ceramic ones. Sachs says the ceramic one is grabby.

Also open to ideas on a flywheel. I think I have a Luk one, but probably just going to order one because I don't want to gamble on that and I pay 2-3X more locally VS Rockauto.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9587
Centerforce 2
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 191442
An 11" or 12" might be possible instead of the 10.5" Jeep clutch. They came in Dodges with the NV3500 and NV4500. Same input spline size and same throw out bearing. The flywheel will need to be re-drilled for the larger bolt pattern of the cover. Clearances in the bell housing will need to be verified.

Also the 10.95" diameter diaphram type clutch from a mid-late 70's SJ or J20 with the 360 or 401 will fit the 10.5" clutch bolt pattern and have the same 1-1/8"- 10 spline input. It gives a lot more surface area on the disc, same ID as the materiel on the 10.5" clutch disc, but 10.92" on the larger diameter. The cover will clear inside most bell housings, too. Maybe ask Centerforce about getting one.

These 10.95" "Scalloped" clutch sets were also used in '70 up Mopars, including Hemis so they hold up well. I found an old Mopar Direct Connection bulletin, section 2 cover's clutches:
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/DC_...e_Bulletin.pdf

Last edited by Marty, SoCal; 05-12-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyridgerunner View Post
Centerforce 2
I don't know if I can source one for a sort of even half decent price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty, SoCal View Post
An 11" or 12" might be possible instead of the 10.5" Jeep clutch. They came in Dodges with the NV3500 and NV4500. Same input spline size and same throw out bearing. The flywheel will need to be re-drilled for the larger bolt pattern of the cover. Clearances in the bell housing will need to be verified.

Also the 10.95" diameter diaphram type clutch from a mid-late 70's SJ or J20 with the 360 or 401 will fit the 10.5" clutch bolt pattern and have the same 1-1/8"- 10 spline input. It gives a lot more surface area on the disc, same ID as the materiel on the 10.5" clutch disc, but 10.92" on the larger diameter. The cover will clear inside most bell housings, too. Maybe ask Centerforce about getting one.

These 10.95" "Scalloped" clutch sets were also used in '70 up Mopars, including Hemis so they hold up well. I found an old Mopar Direct Connection bulletin, section 2 cover's clutches:
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/DC_...e_Bulletin.pdf
I have zero interest in ordering parts that might work. I have to order everything out of the US if I want to not get ripped off, and because of the time lag for doing that I can not return anything.

That said, I guess if an AMC V8 flywheel and clutch will work with the NV3550 and a crank flange that looks like a 4.0L, that would be interesting as it would solve one other problem. I picked up (locally) an AMC 4.2 flywheel to compare to a 4.0 HO one (which is what would be called for with the NV) and they were very different when it came to offset of the face and ring gear position. V8s used another P/N again, I guess I could try to find specs to see if they're similar to other flywheels or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 06:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 191442
Out of the US/Canada, it might be better to find a local clutch shop and have one made.

The V8 flywheel will bolt to the same flange as the 4.0l, but the balance is different. The V8s all have external balance, meaning there is a counterweight cast into the flywheel that the six doesn't have. It could be re-balanced. The 4.2l flywheel will be neutral balanced and will work on the 4.0l.

The ring gear is in a different spot as you found out, the earlier jeep flywheels use a different direct drive Ford Motorcraft starter, which will fit 4.0l bell housings. The switch over was about 1987 when they went to a gear reduction Mitsubishi starter.

Also, the V8 or 4.2l flywheel won't have the notches to run a crank sensor if you are still running EFI on a six.

Last edited by Marty, SoCal; 05-15-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in