Rebuilt engine questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2019, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 99941
Rebuilt engine questions

Haven’t been on this site since 11 😱😱. Anyways I picked up a sweet cj7 with my son as a project. Has a freshly “rebuilt” amc 304. I have a few questions about oil psi and water temps on a motor that hasn’t been even broke in yet. Cold im getting 40 psi. Warm it settles to 8 or so. The temps run around 220-230. Is this normal or should I look into the oil pump and cooling system or break it in and see what happens?
Old 05-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
10psi per 1000 rpm as a rule of thumb. 8 psi warm seems very low. Cut the filter apart and look for metal.

My 304 never went that hot.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2019, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 212160
It might be worthwhile to check timing (for the high temps). I had a SBC that was running hot, timing was way retarded causing high temps and loud exhaust and low power.
Riles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 111998
http://theamcforum.com/forum/low-oil...opic38842.html

Some good info here. Seems to be somewhat common. Several people mention a worn timing cover and needing to check the clearance in the oil pump for this issue. I could see someone thatís not versed in AMC not knowing to replace or check the timing cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler76010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 06:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
The AMC 304 V8 is notorious for oil pressure problems. Here's a solution.

Bulltear-Online
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 191442
Rockauto has Dorman timing cover kits.

Temperature:

Verify the temperature with another temp gauge or a hand held infra red thermometer. Might have a bad sender or gauge.

Make sure you are running a factory type fan shroud and a large 7 blade fan with a fan clutch that the CJs originally had. A cheap flex fan won't cut it. If it overheats at low speeds, especially.

Running hot at highway speeds or under load, might have a partially plugged radiator, too small radiator or one that the exterior fins are packed with dirt or otherwise not allowing a good heat transfer. If the reman block was not properly cleaned in the water jackets, loose crud can plug up a brand new radiator in minutes. If you live in a warm climate, I would recommend a three or four row radiator if you get a new one.
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9994
does it still have the factory bypass hose from the water pump to the intake manifold?

which intake manifold does it have?

i'll try to find some of my old posts about AMC v-8 cooling systems and post links here

EDIT: i can't find any of my old posts...those forums must be gone now. answer my questions above and i'll respond with some info

EDIT II: Google found them:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...ems-304-a.html
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...ng-401-yj.html
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...g-methods.html i posted info on pages 1 and 2 of this thread
1994 RAM 1500 4x4

Custom Fabrication Parts:

Last edited by jeepnmatt; 05-30-2019 at 12:10 PM.
jeepnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in