wtf is going on here? tj alignment woes.. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 04:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 208775
wtf is going on here? tj alignment woes..

99 tj from the rust belt. almost 260k on the clock frames been repaired. and it has a cheap 2" puck spacer lift I've got 6.5* driver and 7.5* passenger of caster from what my angle finder says from the top of the ball joint, can't get any better. 1/16th of toe. damn thing has almost no return to center, and wanders, I have no play in the tie rods, or the axle. haven't checked the box freeplay yet. its not horrid, just from driving it, but going to check and adjust today. from what I'm reading with my 31's that 7ish degrees of caster is too much.. anyone have any suggestions?
ItsaVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 191442
I've worked on a few CJs where the ball joints were basically seized causing no return to center and constantly fighting the steering to keep it straight, even with 7* of caster dialed in.

If you take the tie rod off the knuckle, then try to turn it, you will know if it's too tight.
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 208775
previous "mechanic" fubared a ton on this jeep, the steering was stiff from ungreased u-joints that were seized with tweaked axle ears. ball joints were okay. replaced the shafts, new (greased) joints. spindles now work well. I decided since the tie rods werent great, I just replaced them all, cleared up a lot of the wander. much better, still not great. still haven't adjusted the box, its got a bit more play than id like, gonna tighten it up a bit. I also disconnected the intermediate shaft, checked that u joint there, its fine, so is the box. I'm guessing I'm not reading caster right, is the top of the ball joint where I should be putting the angle finder? is there something else?

Old 06-09-2019, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 40450
Just an opinion, but it sounds like someone cranked down on the adjustment on the steering box in an attempt to mask another front end problem. Now that you've fixed a bunch of other stuff, either the box is still cranked down too tight, or its been that way long enough to wear internal parts.
MDMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 05:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 208775
thought that too, I threw a used box at it out of frustration.. same problem...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in