tj ls swappin on the cheap! I got some questions.. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2019, 05:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 208775
tj ls swappin on the cheap! I got some questions..

ok so I'm getting a silverado with a bad frame to donate some body and interior parts for my truck, and donate its drivetrain for my TJ. I'm not looking to build a rock bouncer, just looking to have a fun trail beater with some v8 power, maybe upgrade to some waggy 44's at some point, but that's it, its on 31's with a 2" puck lift, that will eventually get springs for the lift.

the combo is your usual 5.3 / 4l60e / 241 and will be bone stock performance and will just see some maintenance and refresh

K here we go got most of this nailed down I think..

engine.. Ill be doing the harness, and ecu flash with LS-Droid and tuner pro
-detour-
If you haven't heard of LS droid, you need to.. its a free, yup farging free!! (Thanks to Pete Sonntag!) its still in beta testing but yes it works. passlock and other pesky swap control issues are tuned out via tunerpro another free program

oil pan - whats everyone using? I've got two truck pans, and a vette "batwing" pan that's slated for a bmw swap, but it might not fit inside the crossmember, so it might be used here instead. id like to use the truck pan but iunno, suggestions?

transmission - stock 4l60. shift kit, or a z71 servo or iunno, simple cheap upgrade suggestions?

t-case 241c. I have to crack er open to check the oil pump clip and just general health. while I'm in there, I plan on swapping the slip yoke socket for a regular u joint flange, from a dodge I think it was? what will swap over? and is the case the same across the 241 range? with the cv on the front shaft, what will work?

as far as the combo goes, the 241 is bigger than the 231 correct? so that being said, one of the driveshafts has to be modified. is there anything out there from a junkyard that might work to save on expensive custom driveshafts? and keep in mind, at some point I hope to have 44's front and rear once I find a cheap donor.

Thanks folks!
ItsaVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44053
Just a few things...

Oil Pan: I used a stock truck pan in my Willys. It fit, was cheap, and most importantly, it just worked. Don't find a solution, just to find it a problem.

Cheap Drive Shaft...cherokee front driveshaft. double cardan u-joint 1310. Just cut it to length.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 561082
agree with all above. sye on the 241. cut Cherokee driveshaft rear. mines a yj but front driveshaft was right length just used a conversion joint to chevy flange.
corvette servos for trans.
rearend wont last. I never even tried, I swapped in an 8.8 that I had.
3k miles on my build with clutch dumps and 6k rpm shifts daily.
shtboxyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 208775
so couple things I forgot to mention.. first off can't do a sye that I see, as the output tail shaft is one piece.. so, keeping the slip yoke for now, unless I sell what I have and come across something else.. so with the added power, how much trouble will I get into keeping the slip yoke? I plan on just light wheeling, nothing crazy.. also, I now have an aluminum driveshaft out of the donor truck, any advantage in using that? or just stick with a tried and true steel shaft?
ItsaVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 870338
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaVanMan View Post
so couple things I forgot to mention.. first off can't do a sye that I see, as the output tail shaft is one piece.. so, keeping the slip yoke for now, unless I sell what I have and come across something else.. so with the added power, how much trouble will I get into keeping the slip yoke? I plan on just light wheeling, nothing crazy.. also, I now have an aluminum driveshaft out of the donor truck, any advantage in using that? or just stick with a tried and true steel shaft?
JB Conversions is the only company making an SYE for the 241. I have a 1310 CV yoke machined to fit the front output of a 241. PM me if interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in