Waggy D44 into CJ7 - Rear Disk Brakes? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18016
Waggy D44 into CJ7 - Rear Disk Brakes?

Picked up a couple of Wagoneer axles ('75 Fr. & '91 Rr.) for my CJ7. Trying to figure out if I should retain the 6 lug pattern, or convert to 5 lug. If I convert to 5 lug will the front axle width increase?

What options are available for rear disk brakes with the parking brake? Is the Cadillac Eldorado caliper still the standard, or is there a better option?

Will 15" rims provide enough clearance for the disk brake & caliper?

Thank you.

Last edited by ~JM~; 06-27-2019 at 05:11 PM.
~JM~ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2019, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
I'd leave it 6 lug. BJ's sells a complete disc conversion kit for the rear axle.

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit 6-lug
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 191442
The stock 11" waggy drums work pretty good themselves, especially if a parking brake is important to you like with a manual transmission. They hold a lot better than the parking brakes on most disc setups. I built a Dana 60 for the rear of my Scrambler, and used Ford F-150 11" rear drums so I would have a good parking brake. Saved my ass on Elephant Hill in the Canyonlands when I was stuck on a section while pulling my teardrop up it. Luckily the park brake held while I set up the winch cable!

Stock TJ Dana 44 rear discs can be adapted to the waggy 44, the axle housing ends are the same. The bolt pattern on the rotors will need changing to match, though. The parking brake is small shoes inside the rotor.

You should be able to install F-150 rotors and hubs to get the 5 lug pattern. I'm pretty sure the track won't change.

I'm currently building a NT Dana 44 from a '76 Wagoneer for my CJ. I cut down the long side 3-13/16" so the axle will be the stock CJ wide track width. I'm using the stock CJ outers on the 44 so I won't have to buy new hubs, (I have Warn internal splined front hubs) I can retain the steering setup and brakes. The CJ knuckles will fit the 44 inner C's perfectly, the ball joints are the same. I will be using a custom set of RCV axles with 30 spline CJ length outer shafts that I ordered through HQ-Offroad. I have Warn 30 spline hubs left over from my old model 20 full floater kit I'll be using up front to replace the stock 27 spline hubs.

Last edited by Marty, SoCal; 06-29-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18016
Marty, Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the original drum brakes are missing. I have the backing plates & a few other parts. I feel that a fully functional parking brake is important. This Jeep is intended to be an all around driver.

I have a TH400/D300.

Interesting angle on the TJ rear brakes. Are they standard CJ7 lug pattern? I have been thinking about possibly using Moser or Dutchman rear axles. I'm concerned about the torque handling capacity of the OEM axles.

You wrote: "I'm currently building a NT Dana 44 from a '76 Wagoneer for my CJ."
What does the NT stand for?
Old 06-29-2019, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 18016
Here is my other post: https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...questions.html
Old 06-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JM~ View Post
Marty, Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the original drum brakes are missing. I have the backing plates & a few other parts. I feel that a fully functional parking brake is important. This Jeep is intended to be an all around driver.

I have a TH400/D300.

Interesting angle on the TJ rear brakes. Are they standard CJ7 lug pattern? I have been thinking about possibly using Moser or Dutchman rear axles. I'm concerned about the torque handling capacity of the OEM axles.

You wrote: "I'm currently building a NT Dana 44 from a '76 Wagoneer for my CJ."
What does the NT stand for?
NT = Narrow Track
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2019, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 191442
TJs have 5 on 4.5 pattern. So if you use them, the rotor would need to be drilled to the bigger 5 on 5.5 or 6 x 5.5 pattern. An axle company will make whatever pattern you want on the axle shafts, if you are having new ones made. TJ brakes are roughly the same as the common Ford explorer rear discs, the big difference is the pattern on the axle's flange where the caliper bracket bolts to retain the bearing.

The 11" x 2.12" drum brake parts are the same as Chevy 1/2T pickups and late 60's to mid 90's GM full size car brakes, so you can get the missing pieces of the park brake linkages from those at the local pick your part. A new hardware and spring kit, shoes, wheel cylinders and drums are cheap on Rockauto. I would say they stop great, only real advantage to the discs is stopping while wet and they may retain the axle in the housing better if something comes loose on the bearing retention (Unlikely with the Dana 44 if the bearing retainer is properly pressed on).

With the TH400, you have a park position, so the parking brake is not as important as it would be with a manual trans.

The '76 Wagoneer axle I have is Narrow Track. There were wide track axles, they came on J-20s and Cherokee Chief's for the most part. (Models with the factory extended steel wheel well flares) They are about 4" wider than the narrow track axles. Something like 60" on the narrow track, 64" on the wide track axles
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in