gen III hEMI 5.7 to ZJ's 46RH - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 63742
gen III hEMI 5.7 to ZJ's 46RH

Hi guys, who mated a 46RH trans to a 5.7 Hemi engine?
I've seen that the upper holes of the pattern are matching but the lower portion , let's say below the two dowel pins isn't actually matching, these engine use a sort of aluminum bracket adapter to bolt the lower part of the trans to the engine but the one i have on the 5.7 hemi isn't matching the 46RH trans wich came from a '94 ZJ.
Is there any difference between Dodge trucks and Jeep 46RH trans? I've seen different bellhousing patterns of the 46RH, maybe they change about the application?
I'm concerned about what torque converter and flexplate to use ,i found on the net a specific flexplate made to couple the 5.7 to TF 727 maybe it might work for the 46RH too, not sure about it.

That said, i'm not afraid to fabricate a sort of adapter plate if needed but i'm assuming that i will need to make spacers to put in between TC to flexplate with the same adapter plate thickness and to figure out what torque converter to use (probably a higher stall 46RH's) as well to find the right starter.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by jeepers_creepers; 07-09-2019 at 12:46 PM.
jeepers_creepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 191442
The only diference between the ZJ 46RH and the truck 46RH bolt pattern is the starter location. Passenger side on the ZJ, driver's side on the truck.

The older small block engines didn't use the aluminum spacer plate like the 5.7l The Magnum engined trucks used two steel braces from the trans to the engine block. The left side brace off a truck will fit the ZJ, but would interfere with the stock magnum exhaust head pipe. (May clear the Hemi exhaust, though) The passenger side brace off a truck fits right to where the ZJ starter bolt is, so it won't work. (A custom brace might be able to be fabricated) ZJs didn't use any braces from the factory.

The Magnum engine flexplate has an outer ring with teeth for the crank position sensor, they are not needed on the Hemi as it reads the crank with a sensor reading directly off the crankshaft. The Hemi has 8 bolts for the flexplate, the older Magnums have a 6 bolt flange, so they won't fit.

I think you should be fine using only the ZJ's converter splash shield and starter. No need for the Hemi's aluminum brace.

The 727 to Hemi flexplate should work fine on the '94 46RH as it should have one bolt in the converter to flexplate pattern offset, this means the converter will only go on one way. Later 46REs use 90 degree pattern on the converter, meaning it will fit on in any of four ways since the pattern is symmetrical.
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 63742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty, SoCal View Post
The only diference between the ZJ 46RH and the truck 46RH bolt pattern is the starter location. Passenger side on the ZJ, driver's side on the truck.

The older small block engines didn't use the aluminum spacer plate like the 5.7l The Magnum engined trucks used two steel braces from the trans to the engine block. The left side brace off a truck will fit the ZJ, but would interfere with the stock magnum exhaust head pipe. (May clear the Hemi exhaust, though) The passenger side brace off a truck fits right to where the ZJ starter bolt is, so it won't work. (A custom brace might be able to be fabricated) ZJs didn't use any braces from the factory.

The Magnum engine flexplate has an outer ring with teeth for the crank position sensor, they are not needed on the Hemi as it reads the crank with a sensor reading directly off the crankshaft. The Hemi has 8 bolts for the flexplate, the older Magnums have a 6 bolt flange, so they won't fit.

I think you should be fine using only the ZJ's converter splash shield and starter. No need for the Hemi's aluminum brace.

The 727 to Hemi flexplate should work fine on the '94 46RH as it should have one bolt in the converter to flexplate pattern offset, this means the converter will only go on one way. Later 46REs use 90 degree pattern on the converter, meaning it will fit on in any of four ways since the pattern is symmetrical.
Appreciate it, thank you for your response. I've done some thinking and research on the net and as you suggested , a hemi-727/518 flexplate should be used in order to mate the Hemi to the 46RH, someone says the stock Hemi flexplate could be used but i have to get the rid of the ring gear, if so , will the torque converter be at the right depth? looks like that the proper flexplate is recessed in order to keep it deeper towards the engine, just my thought...
I believe that the brace are an extra, i may fabricate them but thinking about it, the GM trans don't have brace and speaking about strenght , the bellhousing pattern is about the same as the Chrysler's so i believe it's gonna be fairly strong as it is.
Plan is to rebuild the 46RH (previous owner told me 3rd gear was slipping any clue for that? Maybe a sticking valve?) and to use a full manual shift kit in it.

Last edited by jeepers_creepers; 07-10-2019 at 02:29 PM.
jeepers_creepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 191442
Front clutch seal is most likely, might slip a bit in reverse, too, though if that one is bad.

You can find info on air testing the clutches on the web. Basically removing the valve body and using an air nozzle with a rubber tip held to ports in the trans case. Pressure test each clutch and band and watch and listen for the clutch/band to engage or leak.

Here's a video of a 42RE air test, basically the same test on the 30/32/46/47/48 series trans:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5&&FORM=VRDGAR

I'm not sure if the Hemi flex plate would work with a re-drill of the converter pattern or not. You would need to verify that the ring gear has the same number of teeth and that the spacing is in line with the ZJ torque converter ring gear.

Also, verify that the Hemi Exhaust won't hit the starter. It shouldn't as, IIRC, I think the Hemi puts the starter low on the passenger side like the ZJ. At least the Hemi WK did.

The braces would help keep the bell housing from cracking if you ever accidently jump the jeep. Once you get the Hemi in and the Exhaust setup, you might find that the driver's side truck brace will go right on, the passenger side will need shortening and bending to go over and around the starter at the lower stud, a couple tabs and thick wall tubing would probably work. The braces are on every truck, Van or Dakota, even the V6's so Mopar must have thought them necessary. Even the older small block engines had them. Probably a couple bucks each at the local pick your part.

Last edited by Marty, SoCal; 07-10-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 63742
Marty, thank you for your advices, so much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in