Project: I Have No Idea What I'm Doing. YJ Stretch - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Hey, ruffstuff is having a sale on their link kits
For some reason, the Minister of Finance at my house doesn't see the value that could be added by trailing arms, coilovers, and bypasses. We're still in negotiations, but it's not looking good.
Harry Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Johnson View Post
For some reason, the Minister of Finance at my house doesn't see the value that could be added by trailing arms, coilovers, and bypasses. We're still in negotiations, but it's not looking good.

Itís all in how you sell it... You can do it!

YJUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #28 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
Quote:
I was actually just kidding cause I read it in your post, but I'm sure you knew that.
Honest comment would be, don't do it, because you already have a plan in action. Moving the spring mounts will work exactly as needed.

Now you can always pickup a link kit for phase 2
gt1guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
I was actually just kidding cause I read it in your post, but I'm sure you knew that.
Honest comment would be, don't do it, because you already have a plan in action. Moving the spring mounts will work exactly as needed.

Now you can always pickup a link kit for phase 2
I agree. I'm trying to get everything done for KoH in February and I shouldn't be jimmy jacking around with the rear suspension... The hard part is everything is all stripped down right now and ready to go and going 60 mph through the whoops sounds like it would be a pretty good time. It doesn't help that every friend who comes over to drink beer and stare at it has to go and talk about links. Then just when I was talking myself back into leaf springs, I get that stupid ruffstuff email on my phone. ugh.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:47 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Send a message via AIM to 92 Green YJ Send a message via Yahoo to 92 Green YJ
Quote:
Motobilt has some awfully nice and beefy spring hangers for a very reasonable price. Those are the hangers I used front and rear.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:15 AM   #31 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 41185
Tell her it's for safety. Leaf springs are dangerous at speed.
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #32 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 43683
But RuffStuff offers financing now. Surely the Minister of Finance will appreciate your fiscal responsibility
99HoE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99HoE View Post
But RuffStuff offers financing now. Surely the Minister of Finance will appreciate your fiscal responsibility
yeah, she loves it when I incur debt and interest payments on my rusty pile of depreciating assets in the driveway.

Motobilt kit should get here Tuesday. Hoping to get it tacked up next week and see what happens.

Question for all you leaf spring smart people: the bolt size for my beater 63" chevy springs is bigger than the bolt size for my stock hanger up front(and most likely my fancy new motobilt hangers out back). What does everyone do for this? Drill out the hangers or struggle with pressing out the bushings and find some that are a smaller size?
Old 10-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #34 (permalink)
BDK

Member # 295498
Tell her it will make it more stable and be safer. Tell her coil overs are cool. Tell her to make you a sandwich.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #35 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 43683
Quote:
yeah, she loves it when I incur debt and interest payments on my rusty pile of depreciating assets in the driveway.

Motobilt kit should get here Tuesday. Hoping to get it tacked up next week and see what happens.

Question for all you leaf spring smart people: the bolt size for my beater 63" chevy springs is bigger than the bolt size for my stock hanger up front(and most likely my fancy new motobilt hangers out back). What does everyone do for this? Drill out the hangers or struggle with pressing out the bushings and find some that are a smaller size?
I'd drill those hangers out in a heartbeat rather then try to burn out and install new leaf spring bushings. What shape are the bushings in?
Old 10-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
I'd drill those hangers out in a heartbeat rather then try to burn out and install new leaf spring bushings. What shape are the bushings in?
Junkyard shitty.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #37 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 43683
Iíd say run it. Unless theyíre super rotted and itís allowing the bushing sleeve to move around too much. You can always grab a set and replace them
on the lake bed if needed.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 874468
Nice project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ipopa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2019, 04:27 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 182743
Iíll go against the grain and vote for changing bushings to polyurethane while the springs are out.
_Stucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Iíd say run it. Unless theyíre super rotted and itís allowing the bushing sleeve to move around too much. You can always grab a set and replace them
on the lake bed if needed.
Oh man. I'm going to try and limit the number of lakebed repairs necessary this year. It really cut into happy hour.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #41 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 43683
*Ahem*....do those pictures show work being done in a collectable airstream trailer? Surely the Minister of Finance would frown upon that.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
*Ahem*....do those pictures show work being done in a collectable airstream trailer? Surely the Minister of Finance would frown upon that.
WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW GOOD MY ARB WORKS NOW.

Oh yeah and if you know anyone who wants to buy one of those fancy airstreams, it's for sale. I need something to tow my junk.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Got motobilt YJ rear stretch kit last night. Hoping this will help get my springs where they need to bed.

I'm also hoping I'll be able to fit my genright TJ tank under there now that the shackles are being relocated to the bumper. So now comes decision time:

Weld bumper straight to cross-member so I can keep the tabs that the gas tank bolts to and make my life easy or...

Cut the cross-member out, weld in the bumper and figure out how to make new tabs for the tank to bolt to.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:00 AM   #44 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 41185
I think I would tack that Motobuilt bracket on the rear frame crossmember, and mock up the shackles to see what the angle looks like. I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like your shackle angle will be "correct" unless the Motobuilt braket is moved forward, or the front spring hangers are moved rearward.
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 83301
I looks too long now. I hate to say this, but it almost looks like it would be perfect with the shackle mounted directly under the body mount.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #46 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
I looks too long now. I hate to say this, but it almost looks like it would be perfect with the shackle mounted directly under the body mount.
Or move the front mount forward.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Or move the front mount forward.
dont you mean backward? the shackle looks like it would going up towards the rear versus a forward lean allowing a forward swing( aka flex)

Last edited by pennsylvaniaboy; 10-24-2019 at 11:40 AM.
pennsylvaniaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #48 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
dont you mean backward? the shackle looks like it would going up towards the rear versus a forward lean allowing a forward swing( aka flex)
The front spring hanger on the spring that solid mounted to the frame. If you moved it forward it would correct the shackle angle.

I kind of did this on my lj stretch. So it gave me some room to not run an expensive comp tank and if I wanted to run a 14 bolt in the back I could.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 05:27 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
The front spring hanger on the spring that solid mounted to the frame. If you moved it forward it would correct the shackle angle.

I kind of did this on my lj stretch. So it gave me some room to not run an expensive comp tank and if I wanted to run a 14 bolt in the back I could.
ah you mean if he keeps the stock position
Old 10-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Pulled rear shackles just to see where it wants to sit on its own weight with nothing in the way. Doesn't look too good considering I want to move everything another 4" rearward.

I could go hunting for some other springs with an offset centering pin. F150 are like 31/25, Dodge Dakota are 32/24, these chevys are 32/32 for reference. I think the Dakota spring would let me run the stock hanger location out back. I have a buddy running those in his YJ with a similar lift. He had to make a bastard pack out of two sets of Dakota springs to get the jeep to ride level.

The more I think about how much effort it will take to find the right leaf springs and pick the right mount, the more I think I want to link it out back.

Leafs:
Pros
cheap
simple to setup
already have bypasses for rear

Cons
No matter what I'm moving the stock hanger location back (I really want my axle farther back than it currently is).
I'll either have to ditch my tire carrier/hilift mount/antenna mount rear bumper and run the motobilt alternative or I'll have to ditch my TJ genright tank and use the stock rear hanger location.
axle wrap(I already bent a set of springs due to this)

Links:
Pros
Handles nice if setup right, no axle wrap
Can run TJ tank
Get to keep current bumper/tire carrier
Nice departure angle
Minister of Finance approved after asking me what I was doing staring at my jeep in the driveway for an hour.

Cons
Harder to setup properly
More expensive
I need some coilovers
Need to add truss to rear axle
Could take longer to get done

I really want this thing ready to go for KOH. I've got 96 days... or 13 weekends. There's stuff like christmas and thanksgiving and my wife's birthday where it's frowned upon to be working on your jeep instead of saying grace at the dinner table. hmmmm...

Last edited by Harry Johnson; 10-28-2019 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in