Project: I Have No Idea What I'm Doing. YJ Stretch - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 28880
I haven't had a lot of time to work on this thing lately. Next step is welding the axle tubes to the center section on my 14 bolt and then welding the truss on.

I was putting it off because welding to the cast center was scary and I didn't have any ni99 rods. Picking some rods up this weekend and decided I'm just gonna send it.
Harry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #102 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
I have read on the webs that some 14BFF retubers on the net don’t weld the tubes to the center section due to the HAZ it creates in a critical spot. Just the rosette welds. Definitely makes since and I have seen pics of axle tubes breaking there. If the truss ties into the pinion support doesn’t seem like much advantage to me to weld the tubes. Just a thought.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJUnlimited View Post
I have read on the webs that some 14BFF retubers on the net don’t weld the tubes to the center section due to the HAZ it creates in a critical spot. Just the rosette welds. Definitely makes since and I have seen pics of axle tubes breaking there. If the truss ties into the pinion support doesn’t seem like much advantage to me to weld the tubes. Just a thought.
Oh man. I'm pretty much looking for any excuse not to weld this. You're not helping

Truss does tie into pinion.... hmmmmmmm... I could get a lot more done this weekend if I wasn't waiting for an axle to heat and cool....

Old 01-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 171520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Johnson View Post
Oh man. I'm pretty much looking for any excuse not to weld this. You're not helping

Truss does tie into pinion.... hmmmmmmm... I could get a lot more done this weekend if I wasn't waiting for an axle to heat and cool....
With the truss tied into both sides and the pinion, is it really gonna go anywhere?
rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood View Post
With the truss tied into both sides and the pinion, is it really gonna go anywhere?
Don't underestimate the power of my right foot.

This guy has been giving me tips on how to drive on rocks the last few years.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:28 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 171520
Quote:
Quote:
With the truss tied into both sides and the pinion, is it really gonna go anywhere? <a href="https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>
Don't underestimate the power of my right foot.

This guy has been giving me tips on how to drive on rocks the last few years.
Subtle. Lol
Old 01-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 28880
After much pondering, I decided that the pinion brace should be enough to stop the center from spinning. If I snap 3 5/8 grade 8 bolts, then I'll revisit the issue.

Got the truss welded on

Then I went to position the axle under the jeep. It turned into more of a shitshow than it needed to be because I lacked vision when I pulled the jeep out and set it on some jack stands. I don't have any wheel dollies, so... I'll let the picture speak for itself. I can't tell if I'm stupid or clever.

After a bit of jimmy jacking around, I got everything where it needed to be. Axle is now lined up where I want it, jeep is jacked up to where I want ride height to be. It's all(mostly) center.

I was gunning for 7 inches of up travel, but was a little worried about how tall the truss and upper link bracket was. It'll barely fit. We'll see how that goes.

Then I started cleaning up the spots on the frame where the brackets go. First thing that had to go were the old leaf hangers.

Upon closer inspection, it appears I'm not the only hack who has worked on this thing More lines on the To-Do List.

Next up is clean up the rest of the frame and tack up my link brackets where they need to go. I'm a government employee and it's Martin Luther King Jr. day, so I have a dream of getting everything under there today. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:55 AM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Hackery cleaned up. Also got all my frame brackets tacked in place, but by the time I remembered to take a picture it was dark and cold, so instead, I compromised and stayed inside and drank beer.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 171520
Quote:
Hackery cleaned up. Also got all my frame brackets tacked in place, but by the time I remembered to take a picture it was dark and cold, so instead, I compromised and stayed inside and drank beer.

Nicely done.

BTW, for just rust/paint/contaminant/mill-scale cleanup, these things:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-...eel-94017.html

Are pure joy. Removes paint/rust FAST and doesn't eat into the actual metal like the flap disks do. Probably wouldn't help much here, but I'm sure there are other areas you'll have to clean prior to welding.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:46 PM   #110 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 43683
I'm perusing my subscribed threads. Glad to see this pop up. Nice progress. Looks like you can section a portion or relocate the rear crossmember to gain some more vertical clearance between the truss and floorboard.

I didn't know you had a two car garage. Makes life a lot easier.

Wheeler: 2014 CCSB LML Duramax

WINCH MOB
99HoE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2020, 05:42 AM   #111 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Does your crossmember limit uptravel? Mine did so I cut it out and used a piece of 1-1/2” tube.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJUnlimited View Post
Does your crossmember limit uptravel? Mine did so I cut it out and used a piece of 1-1/2” tube.
There's a chance I'll have to do that. Just eyeballing it, I should just barely clear, but we'll see once the links are on and I start cycling things.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99HoE View Post
I didn't know you had a two car garage. Makes life a lot easier.
Two car garage, but it's got too much kid toys/mountain bikes/surfboards/camping gear/dirt bikes/skis/snowboards in it to be useful.

I think I need to chill out on the hobbies.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:00 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 171520
Quote:
Two car garage, but it's got too much kid toys/mountain bikes/surfboards/camping gear/dirt bikes/skis/snowboards in it to be useful.

I think I need to chill out on the hobbies.
Nonsense. A bored man is a dangerous man.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:19 AM   #115 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 32585
Your neighbor needs a roof(s)

Last edited by TiTRD; 01-23-2020 at 08:20 AM.
TiTRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Not much progress lately. Got sick for a week, went to KOH for few days, back at work now... but in the meantime, some 14" coilovers from Accutune showed up.

Props to Ryan over there. He makes it really easy to figure out spring rate and valving and definitely knows what he's talking about.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Got lower link mounts cut and tacket on my axle. Don't make fun of where I tacked it, I was too lazy to wire all the paint off, so I had limited places that were already bare metal to choose from:

After that, I decided I should mockup my links first. I'm not sure if I have stated this before, but uh, I have no idea what I'm doing, so I figured it's better if I do a little recon with PVC before cutting up my steel tubing. I affixed my heims with the finest painters tape I could find and checked to make sure I actually knew how to use a measuring tape.

Everything lined up and the axle ended up exactly where I wanted with no drama.

After that I cut my actual metal links to the same length and was getting ready to prep them for welding when the power went out. It has been windy here and I live in a town with super old power infrastructure, so this happens occasionally. After the third time in an hour, I got pissed and went inside for beer instead.

I have a buddy who has offered to tig the bungs into my links. I'm considering taking him up on that since I've never done this before and his work looks super pretty.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Got lower link mounts cut and tacket on my axle. Don't make fun of where I tacked it, I was too lazy to wire all the paint off, so I had limited places that were already bare metal to choose from:

After that, I decided I should mockup my links first. I'm not sure if I have stated this before, but uh, I have no idea what I'm doing, so I figured it's better if I do a little recon with PVC before cutting up my steel tubing. I affixed my heims with the finest painters tape I could find and checked to make sure I actually knew how to use a measuring tape.

Everything lined up and the axle ended up exactly where I wanted with no drama.

After that I cut my actual metal links to the same length and was getting ready to prep them for welding when the power went out. It has been windy here and I live in a town with super old power infrastructure, so this happens occasionally. After the third time in an hour, I got pissed and went inside for beer instead.

I have a buddy who has offered to tig the bungs into my links. I'm considering taking him up on that since I've never done this before and his work looks super pretty.
Take him up on the TIG. I paid my buddy's kids to do some work on my old YJ and I came back to find it all TIG welded. Fanciest thing on that jeep.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 171520
Lookin good. Black PVC? You mean ABS?
Old 02-11-2020, 11:10 AM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Lookin good. Black PVC? You mean ABS?
what do I look like? A plumber?
Old 02-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 171520
Quote:
what do I look like? A plumber?
Just sayin' bro.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:02 AM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Got some help tig welding bungs on my links from a buddy. He's currently going to school to be a pipeliner, so when I called him on the phone to ask him how he wanted the tubes prepped, I had no idea what he was talking about when he said he wanted a "penny landing with a 45 bevel".

I sent him this back and he told me it was close enough :

He dropped by and picked up my upper links to bust out last night. Did 3 passes, the last one had a weave on top. He was stoked for the practice and I was stoked because my attempt would have been ugly as sin:

He's dropping by to pick up my lowers tonight and drop off the uppers. I'm the hold up in the production line because it takes me forever to bevel .25 wall tubing with a grinder.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #123 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
Tell your buddy he better start practicing with a dime landing and walking the cup on the root and everything. Also, take that double filler rod technique and forget he ever knew it.

Project is moving along nicely.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Tell your buddy he better start practicing with a dime landing and walking the cup on the root and everything. Also, take that double filler rod technique and forget he ever knew it.

Project is moving along nicely.
Will do! Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 171520
Quote:
Got some help tig welding bungs on my links from a buddy. He's currently going to school to be a pipeliner, so when I called him on the phone to ask him how he wanted the tubes prepped, I had no idea what he was talking about when he said he wanted a "penny landing with a 45 bevel".

I sent him this back and he told me it was close enough :

He dropped by and picked up my upper links to bust out last night. Did 3 passes, the last one had a weave on top. He was stoked for the practice and I was stoked because my attempt would have been ugly as sin:

He's dropping by to pick up my lowers tonight and drop off the uppers. I'm the hold up in the production line because it takes me forever to bevel .25 wall tubing with a grinder.
What do an asian style rug from the 90s, a camshaft, a dirtbike and a toolbox have in common?

Get a 7" grinder. Moar sparks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in