Help me choose: BDS CJ front springs 2.5" or 4" - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2019, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 191442
Help me choose: BDS CJ front springs 2.5" or 4"

Looking for experiences of people who have used BDS front springs on their late CJ. I'm looking at either the 2-1/2" or the 4" sets. I have well used Rancho 2.5" springs on it now with 250k miles on them and wear on the leafs is becoming an issue. The second leaf has worn into the main leaf on each about 1/16" deep and I'm worried that they may break at the wear spots on the trail. I'm running them spring under, like stock. Rancho doesn't seem to sell them any more and I like the BDS springs as they are full military wrap style.

I'm looking to go at most about an inch higher than it is. I'm running 33x10.50s and they fit well with the springs now but I feel they have sagged. It's a CJ-8 Scrambler with a V8, dual batteries, winch, AC, heavy front bumper, etc.

I'm leaning towards the 4" spring set, thinking it's made for the stock weight CJ-7, it might settle to about 3" with my extra weight. Not sure of the comparison of the spring rates between the old Rancho springs and the BDS ones. The 2.5" set might work fine if they have a higher spring rate, they certainly won't be as saggy as the ones on there now.

So, Here's my question :

If any of you have BDS 2-1/2" or 4" replacement springs on your CJ, can you please measure the clearance between the axle top and the bottom of the front frame? Please let me know how heavy the front of your CJ is, too.

Thanks for looking!
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 191442
Doing a bit more research, the same Rancho springs I have now's are still available, # 44092. They have a spring rate of 325lbs/inch. BDS doesn't show their spring rates on their springs. If the BDS 2-1/2" set has the same or a bit higher rate I'll get those.

I sent and e-mail to their tech department, maybe I'll hear from them on Tuesday and see what they recommend. I'll update if I hear from them.

Maybe someone reading this has an old BDS catalog that might list the spring rates on part number 4251 2-1/2" springs, or the part number 4401 4" springs???
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2019, 06:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 863898
I'm running their 4"s for a little over three years now

They're closer to 5" with very little settling

I've got a stinger, hoop and 8274 on the front and have 9.5" from the top of the tube to the bottom of the frame

Last edited by REFYVD; 09-03-2019 at 06:10 AM.
REFYVD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 07:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 191442
Thanks! Perfect info! I'm probably a good bit heavier with the V8 and dual batteries, but that might only drop it an inch from where yours sits.

I'm sitting at 5-1/2" clearance to the frame to the tube on the driver's side. 4-1/2" on the passenger side frame to casting with the Waggy Dana 44 I just put in. If I could gain an inch more lift than what I have now, that would be good for me.

Sounds like their 2-1/2" set might be the ticket. I'm going to call BDS in a little bit and see what the spring rate is on them. If I could gain an inch more lift than what I have now, that would be good for me.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 191442
Just got a response from BDS:

"Marty
Thank you for inquiring about BDS Suspension. The 004251 have a spring rate of about 312. So not much of a difference between the 2 springs. We design our springs around the stock equipped Jeep and for ride quality. You may be able to get away with a 4 spring with that much weight and it will have about the same spring rate but will have more arch. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Best Regards,
Randy Wilson
Customer Service and Technical support
(P) 517-279-2135 ext. 166
(F) 517-278-2316"

I'm still leaning towards their 2.5" set, figuring they should level out about 1-1/2" less than the 4" springs REFYVD has, plus my extra weight, should put me about an inch higher than where I am now, which should work well for me.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 863898
He's right about the arch...makes 'em pretty stiff

I think you'll be happy...lot better spring than what you have now, not to mention the warranty
REFYVD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 191442
I ordered a set of the 2.5" springs, will update after I install them!
Old 09-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 191442
Just put the 2.5" BDS springs in yesterday evening after work. I've been driving the jeep on the street. They raised the front by about 3/4" over the old Ranchos and are stiffer (but not uncomfortably rough) for sure. Fit perfectly, of course.

I'm taking the CJ on a break in run up to Big Bear. Probably will be doing White Mountain trail Saturday and staying at Big Pine Flats campground, if anyone is in the area stop by and chat. (My CJ is a beige '82 Scrambler with a black hard top.)

Besides the new front springs, I also will be testing out my narrowed Dana 44 Waggy front end with CJ outers, big JK gears, and 30 spline outer RCV's will post how it goes in Big Bear early next week. Getting ready for a 10 day run to AZ and Utah!
Old 10-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 191442
Just a follow up!

I've put 1000 + miles on the springs. They ride better than the old Ranchos, they make the CJ feel more controllable and have not bottomed out like the old ones did. Caster angle didn't change, either. They have settled a small amount but it's still about 1/2" higher than the old 2.5" Rancho springs. I'm thinking now of getting their rear 2.5" springs with add-a-leaves since my Scrambler is tail heavy.

If anyone is looking for a nice set of springs for their late CJ, these are them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in