Cracked shock hoop mount. Gusset ideas? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Cracked shock hoop mount. Gusset ideas?

So I went to service my shocks and noticed a crack around the mount. It was a pretty shitty idea to begin with so i am not surprised. What do you think about getting some 3/16 plate bent up in a C like the picture below. then making some connectors on each side of the DOM going up to the top then fill in the inside with 3/16 as well? I feel like if I just weld them to the surface of the new C channel the same thing is going to happen. obviously the tubes will be notched and angle cut properly.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...V2TmdzajZ5dzNn

Last edited by HankScorpi0; 09-21-2019 at 12:29 PM.
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 870338
I have my shock hoops plated where they sit on top of the frame for piece of mind. That looks like poor weld penetration though. Do you have a strut hoop crossmember? I would do that over a gusset.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Yeah I agree on penetration. I like your idea as well but mine will be clamping the sides. Going to try and fit a crossmember but it's real tight with the air filter already. The front weld actually started to tear the frame a little glad I caught it now.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
You should really use a hole saw, bore through the frame and weld your horizontal in a shear application, on both sides of the frame, for strength. Those welds are cold and not penetrating. Gussets will not fix the flexing/tearing issue you will see.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
D_JEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 870338
It shouldnít need to be through bored. The biggest worry would have been the frame ripping a hole in it because it is so thin (if it was welded properly). With that style hoop most almost all the failures I have seen was the frame tearing. Many people have run their hoops like that but put a doubler plate on the frame with no issues. He is on the right track with that. However, a crossmember should be used to support lateral loads. The hoops are like a long cantilever arm creating a moment that is trying to twist the frame. The crossmember would be in compression counteracting the inward force on the hoop.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
I agree that thatís a cold weld. I had resis on similar hoops on my cj7. Grind everything off and re-weld. I agree you probably need a crossbar. If you want to gas it as shown in the last picture off the top of the frame you can. A friend of mine ran coil overs similarly on a Toyota. No crossbar.
Attached Images

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJUnlimited View Post
It shouldn’t need to be through bored. The biggest worry would have been the frame ripping a hole in it because it is so thin (if it was welded properly). With that style hoop most almost all the failures I have seen was the frame tearing. Many people have run their hoops like that but put a doubler plate on the frame with no issues. He is on the right track with that. However, a crossmember should be used to support lateral loads. The hoops are like a long cantilever arm creating a moment that is trying to twist the frame. The crossmember would be in compression counteracting the inward force on the hoop.
I agree the thru support will still only be connected by a weld around the 1.75 tube. If I add the plate I am spreading the load across a larger section of the frame if I include gussets. The front section of the frame has 2 crossmember one radiator mount and the front box tube I used so twisting doesnt concern me at all. Frank I k ow they should work with them welded like they where but I have a heavy foot and probably drive faster than I should in the rough stuff. Most of my buddies are on 4 wheelers and such and I drive like an ass trying to keep up. It gets beat pretty bad. Might have to change the air cleaner assembly to something different to tie the front hoops together but I shouldn't have any problems after that. Thanks to all!

Last edited by HankScorpi0; 09-23-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 212988
OK so I got the pieces made and I am getting started putting it together. Need to make the gussets but they will attach like below.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/O2...=w1110-h832-no
Old 09-27-2019, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 212988
New design do you think I'll still need a cross member?

Old 09-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 178200

You talking about a bar that spans the top of the shock hoops? If so, YES!

Last edited by SLOWPOKE693; 09-27-2019 at 04:15 PM.
SLOWPOKE693 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2019, 09:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 210050
i would 100% add a cross bar over the top regardless of how much you gusset the bottom.
chknkatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in