Value of a 1944 WMB Jeep? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 122255
Value of a 1944 WMB Jeep?

I don't know Jeeps, but I'm curious what the going rate is for a non-running 1944 WMB Jeep? $3.50? lol They're asking $2500

Not like I need another project but I know of one coming up for sale soon and I was curious if I should look into it or not. It's got a title but definitely non-running probably for decades, I think it's been stored in the elements but doesn't look rusted out in the one pic I got - but I haven't seen it in person. I'd probably just get it running and use it as a farm vehicle alternative to buying a used Gator/Mule since I could also use it for quick trips around town
Old 09-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 33169
All depends on condition, and what you are Willy-ing to pay.

Pics first then potential guesstimate value.

IF stock, if, will have a T86 3spd trans, T18 tcase D25 front, and weak ff rear axle. You'll be surprised by how thin the frame is.
T86 is quite small, about six(6) inches long and used bushings vs bearings on the gear shafts.

MB/Willy's/GPW were about $500 new to the US Gov't.

Last edited by ferg; 09-25-2019 at 02:12 PM.
ferg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44053
Also, the MB, CJ2a, CJ3a, and M38 are all largely interchangeable in their body parts and running gear. Careful of what someone tells you it is. My neighbor just paid $6500 for a "1948" CJ2a. It s actually either a '50 or '51 Willys M38. Not a big deal, but something to look for. Get some good pictures and post it in the Willys section.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 122255
Yeah I guess I should have looked at what section I posted this in - thanks
Old 09-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 56430
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOnPottery View Post
I don't know Jeeps, but I'm curious what the going rate is for a non-running 1944 WMB Jeep? $3.50? lol They're asking $2500

Not like I need another project but I know of one coming up for sale soon and I was curious if I should look into it or not. It's got a title but definitely non-running probably for decades, I think it's been stored in the elements but doesn't look rusted out in the one pic I got - but I haven't seen it in person. I'd probably just get it running and use it as a farm vehicle alternative to buying a used Gator/Mule since I could also use it for quick trips around town
If it's complete, not a pile of crap, and original, it's worth 2500 and probably more. We've bought two in the last couple years (dad and I), and what we've found is the vast majority are not complete, and are a pile of crap, and definitely not original.

The assembled jeep we ended up with is a WW2 Military body, replica, circa 1970s, on a civilian frame (best guess 1948) running original drivetrain from the late 1940s. Converted to 12v, with aftermarket GM 3 wire alternator, and completely rewired. The brakes were completely junk including all the hard lines, hoses, master cyl, everything. As was the clutch completely and solidly rusted. Engine did turn over after soaking. Tires were rotted. Distributor was seized in block. Oil pump was bad. Radiator need cleaning. In the end, would have been far cheaper to buy a completed rig, but, my labor was free, so that's where we went.

Probably spent 4k in parts, and almost all of it was nickel and dime stuff. In the end, he's got probably $5500 in it, and it looks the part he wanted. I've got a few hundred hours of work invested.

Black star, so cannot post pics, but I'll forward them if anybody gives a damn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in