87 258 obd1 mpfi spark knock HELP - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 553522
87 258 obd1 mpfi spark knock HELP

I have an 87 yj with a 4.2 in it. I'm running MPFI and head off of a 94 yj that had and auto tranny. My problem is it's detonating/ spark knocking at part throttle under load(such as large hills). Since its a later model 4.2 it has 9.2:1 compression vs the 4.0 with 8.8:1, so I thought I'd just have to run 93 octane. I filled it up with 93 the next day and it helped a little but its still there! Any ideas on what I can do to retard the timing or if I did something wrong?? It's my daily and I really don't want to pop a hole in a piston AGAIN....
Old 10-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
A friend of mine had a huge problem with that with his Mopar MPFI swap. His problems went away when he swapped to a 4 L head which you already have. Have you put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on it? His did lean out early on.

At the same time of the head swap he did put a header on it and free-flowing exhaust.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 10-01-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 553522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
A friend of mine had a huge problem with that with his Mopar MPFI swap. His problems went away when he swapped to a 4 L head which you already have. Have you put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on it? His did lean out early on.

At the same time of the head swap he did put a header on it and free-flowing exhaust.
I have all of those. My pump does 70 gph and the adjustable regulator I have does 43 psi no vacuum and 33 psi at idle. Magnaflow muffler, stainless header...

Old 10-01-2019, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
I donít know if it matters but at some point he did swap in the hesco cam. I donít know which one it was but it was California legal with mpfi.

& Blaine

Old 10-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 553522
Quote:
I don’t know if it matters but at some point he did swap in the hesco cam. I don’t know which one it was but it was California legal with mpfi.
...it can. The more valve overlap the less compression the engine is able to create...I reallllyyy don’t want to do that but it’ll have to be on my list considering I’m running a stock 4.2 cam. It can mess around with valve timing in comparison to injector/ spark timing.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Iím just trying to figure out whatís different about your set up from his. His knocked and pinged and rattled like crazy for years. Now it drives beautifully.

& Blaine

Old 10-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 553522
Quote:
Iím just trying to figure out whatís different about your set up from his. His knocked and pinged and rattled like crazy for years. Now it drives beautifully.
Well I have the stock cam, 7120 head, all brand new sensors and distributor, rc9yc plugs, new plug wires, header, early model 4.0 intake, adjustable fuel regulator, external fuel pump that does 70 gph, and stock fuel filter. The regulator is set at 40 psi, and i removed the vac line running to it so its ALWAYS at 40psi.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 66264
is Hesco's website still up ? used to have a pretty good MPFI board...
Ken 83 CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 553522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken 83 CJ-7 View Post
is Hesco's website still up ? used to have a pretty good MPFI board...
Their forum? I tried to join so I can read the posts.... still waiting. Lots of parts and forums that I’ve read are from 2005 and lead to dead ends....
Old 10-03-2019, 05:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
I had that problem with the MPFI kit on my 1986 CJ7. I ended up spacing the pickup by the harmonic balancer with some washers. Hesco will adamantly tell you not to do this, but it worked on mine and a lot of other Jeep's with their kit.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.

Last edited by SanDiegoCJ; 10-03-2019 at 05:59 AM.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 553522
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
I had that problem with the MPFI kit on my 1986 CJ7. I ended up spacing the pickup by the harmonic balancer with some washers. Hesco will adamantly tell you not to do this, but it worked on mine and a lot of other Jeep's with their kit.
I beat you to it! I’m running an ax15 with 4.0 flywheel so I have a factory located crank sensor. I slotted it out to retard the timing. It originally sat at 12* at idle. Now it sits at 8*. Running 87 octane with no noticeable ping! I have a slight exhaust leak so I can’t 100% confirm it’s safe on 87 octane due to exhaust sounds coming from the mid section of the Jeep (I’m fixing it in 2 days). I can definitely say that it is practically gone.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 553522
Other things I have done.
1. Modify the oil baffle on the vacuum side of the ccv.(cutting and bending the baffle down and away from the orifice)
2. moving my danky cone air filter away from the driver side of the engine bay to the far right passenger side (almost a 30*F cooler filter temp I got with a laser thermometer)
Old 10-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 66264
how fresh is your motor? get any oil in the TB and it will ping...had 30,000 on mine when i put the mopar kit on it...did the 7120 head and jba header about 38,000...run like a top after that
Ken 83 CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2019, 12:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 191442
A Chrysler DRBII or DRBIII factory scan tool allows up to 6 degrees of retard to the ignition timing, in 2 degree increments. Not sure if a Snap On Modus scanner would do that too.
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in