CJ7 NV4500 vs NP435 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 07:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3563
CJ7 NV4500 vs NP435

I'm putting together a simple CJ7 on 33s to drive to work on nice days and take out of state once a year to do some four wheeling. Did a fair bit of searching and found some great threads with advice to others building similar Jeeps. I have several questions but the only one pressing is what transmission to run. I bought the CJ7 with the intention of swapping in a nv4500 out of a V8 4x4 Ram I have laying around in place of the t176. Seems like back in the day every other magazine article was swapping a nv4500 into a CJ. I figured it would go together pretty easy.

Once I got to searching it seems I may be mistaken. My concern is rear driveshaft length, and belly clearance. I want the belly as flat as reasonable and some pictures I found look anything but. I plan on clocking the dana 300 flat and I'm not worried about the floor being in the way as it's rusty and needs reworked anyway. The Jeep has about 3" of lift and if it goes higher down the road that would include a wheelbase stretch. I have no objections to a CV rear shaft.

How much lower than a clocked Dana 300 does an NV4500 hang and how does that compare to a Np435?

Will I hate my life trying to get a rear driveshaft into a stock wheelbase CJ7?

Any input is appreciated. Trying to get specifics on this swap ends up in a circle of dead links. I'm heading to the junkyard on my next day off to grab some axles and there's Ford np435 waiting for me if I elect to go that route instead. OD would be sweet but I'm kinda worried about running deeper gears with smaller pinions to take advantage of it. Np435 won't break my heart but if I had my druthers I'd go 5 speed.

Thanks,

Travis
Old 10-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
My build I have a nv4500 with only the shift tower through the floor its 1 3/4 below the frame rail. I built my own tranny cover. And had to hack the floor a touch just to clock the Dana 300. If it wasnt clocked Im not sure I would have had to hack floor that much. Let me know if you want specific pics or numbers. Also running job fab cable shifters which was the majority of the hack.

Before this latest rework. I was 1.5 springs sprung over and it hung down but it fit above stock skid. Rear driveline was a cv driveline but not crazy short. My wheelbase is stretched now.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3563
Thanks for the info. If you pulled off a rear driveshaft with a soa I'm sure I'll be fine. If you don't mind a sideshot showing what all hangs down below the framerail, that would likely help me get my head around it better. Is the clocked t case lower than the bottom of the nv4500? Do you think a 1" body lift would have made things easier? Thanks again

Old 10-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Sorry forgot to get pictures this weekend. On the right is the tranny middle is a tube crossmember and left is the clocked Dana 300. Tranny is 1.5 below frame rail. Ill also post up a picture on tunnel cover and Dana 300 floor hack.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Tranny was pushed up tight to the floor with tower is pushed through the tunnel cover. Again most of the Dana 300 hack was due to cable shifters.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
I had a 1986 CJ7 SOA D44/D61 with a 4.2L 6cyl, NV4500 and a clocked D300. Used a CV rear shaft with not problems. Modified the skidplate on the bottom side about 3/4" lower than the stock one to clear the NV4500.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3563
Thank you Rangerrod, that was exactly what I needed to see. I'll go with the nv4500. I appreciate you taking the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in