Asking for a friend.. Jeep YJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Asking for a friend.. Jeep YJ

So we're heading to moab next march and most of us are Yota freaks on 37s, bla bla. Buddy wants to go with in his 93 YJ 4 banger 5 speed. 3" spring under lift and is going to run 33s. Already has an 8.8, 4:10s and is going to throw in a spartan locker.

Question is what to do with the front axle.

First option is to leave it alone, run open diff and not break anything. Winch through any tough spots.

Second option is to run the 30, get some chromoly axle shafts, spartan locker and truss the housing.

Third option would be to build another axle, some sort of Dana 44. Not sure what options are out there nowadays.

Fourth option is to throw some Toyota axles under there

I guess another question is what low gearing options is there for the 231? Haven't been able to find anything on recent searches.

This isn't going to be a hard core crawler, just a reliable rig to hit some medium level trails and still be streetable.
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
For the 231, he will probably have to find a used Tera low or if there is room find a crawler box.

For the front, Id either get a one piece long side and a lunchbox locker or find a hp ford 44 and narrow the long side.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 28880
I beat the crap out of an open front dana 30 with 33s and the 4.0 for a long time. In fact I blew up a ring and pinion in the 44 out back long before anything weird happened to the dana 30... of course, I was in high school and getting sideways any chance I could on the pavement back then.

I found that 4.56 with 33s and the 4.0 worked great. I feel like 4 banger plus 4.10 plus 33 inch tires is going to feel pretty anaemic.

Last edited by Harry Johnson; 10-10-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Harry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 202363
It all depends on how hard you want to push it. The set up will work great for a lot of the trails. I have been all over Moab in my Flatty on 33s. If you do a locker in the front and rear remember that slick rock is very grippy and its very hard to turn with stock steering. I had a locked Cherokee and in 4x4 I could not turn it going down hill on Hells Revenge until I put Ram assist in.

If it were me I would grab some yota axles so you can steal parts from your friends. The other option that I think would be killer would be to do a limited slip in the rear and a locker in the front then show the toys how to wheel.
zuzu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Leave the front open and have fun. My Dad has the exact same rig as described plus good sliders, winch, and bumpers. Its way more capable than he gives it credit for. I wheel the piss out of though. With that set up I can wheel it how I want.

Get some anti kickback front shackles though. They will invert, especially with the 4" springs.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
If you go yota axles. Realize the diff is on the wrong side for the 231.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 305185
I ran a very similar YJ for a long time. The Dana 30 can take 33" tires, a locker and a 2.5L. As mentioned above:

1) One-piece passenger side shaft

2) Front lunchbox locker (best value offroad upgrade that you can do!)

His rig is a little under-geared with 4.10s, 2.5L and 33" tires. I'm sure that he never uses 5th gear. He'll be using the clutch and RPMs a lot more than necessary.

3) 4:1 transfer case gearing would help a lot, but can get expensive
StanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 54567
Cheapest, easiest thing to do is run to the junkyard and grab some 96+ Dana 30 shafts that are one piece with the larger u-joint. Throw in some new Spicer 760x and tack weld the caps in place. Will be a pretty reliable set up for 33s.
Outlawz4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Well thanks for the replys fellas, but he did the smart thing and went and bought a semi built TJ over the weekend. Dana 44 rear, long arm kit, bumpers, sliders, winch, two tops, 4.0 5spd. Got it for 6K. Much better than sinking a bunch of money into a YJ. It's a super clean YJ tho it's now for sale..
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 54567
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
Well thanks for the replys fellas, but he did the smart thing and went and bought a semi built TJ over the weekend. Dana 44 rear, long arm kit, bumpers, sliders, winch, two tops, 4.0 5spd. Got it for 6K. Much better than sinking a bunch of money into a YJ. It's a super clean YJ tho it's now for sale..
Link to for sale advertisement?
Outlawz4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in