Coilovers With Stock Width Axles? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 778785
Coilovers With Stock Width Axles?

My jeep is currently 4 linked rear with a stretch. Looking at going to coilovers to get away from the coil springs and regular shocks. My Question is with stock width axles can i put the coilovers inside the frame rail with a shorter coil over on the rear such as a 10" or 12"? Would that cause poor performance with the coilovers not being as far out on the axles. My jeep already has a bar welded across the frame from side to side to mount the regular shocks, and I was thinking about using that bar to attach coilovers to, so i can stay stock width. Not really familiar with coilovers so any input would be helpful. Thanks
99newrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Yes. I would outboard them

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...t-fab-now.html

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 12-02-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
I am doing the same rear suspension on my current build, only with JK width axles.

& Blaine

Old 12-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 778785
With current wheel and axle setup I just dont think I have enough clearance to outboard them. I currently have about 3.5” between tire and frame rail. That’s why I was curious about being inboard and performance.

Last edited by 99newrangler; 12-02-2019 at 03:20 PM.
99newrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 196897
Not enough room for outboard on factory axles without a lot of wheel spacer width. Even then you would not be able to run much travel without the bodies hitting the frame. A JK rear dana 44 would be a good upgrade to the TJ and give you more room to run outboard with a Frenched frame. There are lots of JK rear axles out there for pretty cheap.
thedirtman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Not enough room for outboard on factory axles without a lot of wheel spacer width. Even then you would not be able to run much travel without the bodies hitting the frame. A JK rear dana 44 would be a good upgrade to the TJ and give you more room to run outboard with a Frenched frame. There are lots of JK rear axles out there for pretty cheap.
My white TJ posted above ran 12” coil overs and bumps at all four corners on stock with axles outboard it in the rear. It is completely possible I had 3 3/4 inch backspacing, no wheel spacers. 2” coil overs.

Click the link...

I also ditched the rear sway bar and the rock anchor lower shock mounts.

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 12-02-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 196897
3.75" BS aftermarket wheels=1.75" wheel spacers on factory wheels. Note the OP stated he wants to stay stock width.
Yes you can install them on the inside of the frame on your cross member. They would be angled in more then most would want put you would get more travel at the wheel with a shorter shock.

How much room do you have now between the axle top and the cross member?
Old 12-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27775
You may want to look at bypass shocks and keep the coils...
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Why do you feel the need to switch to coilovers, is there something your current coil & shock setup is lacking that makes you think coilovers are the cure? I can almost guarantee that you will not be happy with coilovers mounted inboard on the rear.

Dirtman...... I copied Beat95YJ's recipe back in the day on my old 03 Rubicon. 3.5" BS wheels, 12" coilovers outboarded and no rubbing issues with lots of usable flex.
SLOWPOKE693 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
I have stretched 3 different TJs with coilovers; two of them with stock width XJ D44s (60.5" WMS). I have seen literally hundreds of stretched TJs on coilovers with 60.5" WMS axles; so don't listen to people telling you it isn't possible; it is actually very common (especially out west).

Here is a video I made of my wife stretching her TJ to give you an idea of what must be done:

This stretched TJ has been on trips to the Rubicon, Sand Hollow, and Johnson Valley and it did fantastic.

It gets even trickier if you want to keep the gas tank in the factory location.

With stock width axles and keeping the gas tank under the Jeep, you must run 1.5" or 1.25" wheel spacers and wheels with at least 4.5" backspacing (4" would be better), and you must stay away from tires over 12.5" wide; that's if you want great flex and trail performance. A 12" coilover is pretty much max with stock-width axles and outboard coilovers.

I won't lie though, a full-width rear axle makes things much easier and you can dump the stupid spacers. Running a fuel cell in the trunk makes things even easier.

Last edited by desert dogg; 12-03-2019 at 11:35 AM.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 196897
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
Why do you feel the need to switch to coilovers, is there something your current coil & shock setup is lacking that makes you think coilovers are the cure? I can almost guarantee that you will not be happy with coilovers mounted inboard on the rear.

Dirtman...... I copied Beat95YJ's recipe back in the day on my old 03 Rubicon. 3.5" BS wheels, 12" coilovers outboarded and no rubbing issues with lots of usable flex.
I guess you can't read, I said you are not going to fit outboard coil overs with maintaining factory width on the tires. Adding wheel spacer or wheels with a low back spacing will give you the room you need but you are not going to do long travel shocks without issues. I don't consider 12" travel being long travel.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I guess you can't read, I said you are not going to fit outboard coil overs with maintaining factory width on the tires. Adding wheel spacer or wheels with a low back spacing will give you the room you need but you are not going to do long travel shocks without issues. I don't consider 12" travel being long travel.
He was not asking about long travel setups. Also, where the fuck did he mention factory width tires/wheels or anything of the sort???

Apparently your the one who can't read.

Go back to JKO and spread your BS there..... Nobody here gives a fuck what you think.
SLOWPOKE693 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
FYI there are taller towers which allow use of 14s. My white TJ was the Poly/Synergy prototype.

& Blaine

Old 12-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 196897
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
He was not asking about long travel setups. Also, where the fuck did he mention factory width tires/wheels or anything of the sort???

Apparently your the one who can't read.

Go back to JKO and spread your BS there..... Nobody here gives a fuck what you think.
Post #1 last line "so I can stay stock width"

Post #4 "about 3.5" between tires and frame" that is where the factory tires and wheels would sit.

And yes he said nothing about long travel, but I threw it in since he did not know about outborading coil overs. Also why I asked how much space he have between the cross member and top of axle. Many people don't understand the axle shift you get on longer travel set ups that requires more space.

For you experts on running kits I run 18"x3" triple bypass and 18"x2.5" coil overs on each corner of my wrangler, it's not a kit.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27775
What amount with your limiting limit straps
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 196897
Straps are set for 16"
Old 12-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
What amount with your limiting limit straps
1 Before full droop, if you took the straps off they would cycle complete travel without rubbing the springs. This was after I triangulated the uppers, I lost probably 2 inches of travel with the stock Rubicon long arm due to bind.

& Blaine

Old 12-04-2019, 07:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
With the stock Rubicon Express long arm geometry, I repeatedly broke upper link bolts due to bind. The 10 mm bolt is a bitch. When I triangulated it I upgraded to 9/16 upper bolts

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 12-04-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 305185
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99newrangler View Post
My jeep is currently 4 linked rear with a stretch. Looking at going to coilovers to get away from the coil springs and regular shocks. My Question is with stock width axles can i put the coilovers inside the frame rail with a shorter coil over on the rear such as a 10" or 12"? Would that cause poor performance with the coilovers not being as far out on the axles. My jeep already has a bar welded across the frame from side to side to mount the regular shocks, and I was thinking about using that bar to attach coilovers to, so i can stay stock width. Not really familiar with coilovers so any input would be helpful. Thanks
Getting back to the OP...

IMO, it will be really tough to do it on stock width axles. If you outboard the coilover, it will involve frenching the mounts into the frame and probably wheel spacers too.

Is it possible? Maybe...as some other posters may have done it.

But is it wise? Will it be difficult? Will there be other downsides? Most definitely.

What problem are you trying to solve with coilovers?

And I would come down strongly against inboarding the coilovers. 99.9% of the rigs have outboarded coilovers for a reason - because that's where they work best.
StanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 160801
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
Getting back to the OP...

What problem are you trying to solve with coilovers?
The ride characteristics of a well-tuned coilover are absolutely night and day; on and off-road, compared to the factory coil spring set-up. Especially here in Cali where we normally have to do a great deal of desert driving to get to the trail.

Also, with stock-width axles, if you are keeping the fuel tank under the jeep with your stretch (which makes sense for several reasons), you have to french the frame and outboard the shocks no matter what you do, so coilovers are twice as easy to package if you keep the tank in the factory location.

Lastly, when using coil springs on a TJ stretch, you will be mounting the coils farther back in the frame wheel arch. This means that you will be using much shorter coils than you had before, and you will lose performance from that.

Last edited by desert dogg; 12-06-2019 at 09:15 AM.
desert dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in