do all bestops fit like shit??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2006, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 68034
do all bestops fit like shit???

i just spent 700$ for my bestop super top for my cj5 67 and the doors are 4 in smaller the slope on the back window is steper so my seat rubs. and the vert. post on both driver and pass. are to far back so the window flaps only fit at the bottom. and at 75mph the post to the windsheld on the driver side comes out. any body else have one of these tops bestop says to send it back if i think its made wrong and thell replace it but both sides have the same probs. seems there all this way.

Last edited by tuxcedo park; 02-25-2006 at 01:25 AM.
tuxcedo park is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2006, 01:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 67970
man I cant even go 75 mph in my jeep.
big pubes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2006, 01:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 68034
well it wasent easy i spent 2yrs and 2grand on my custom coil setup

Old 02-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 67736
It takes a good bit of bending and tweaking to get the soft doors to fit good. Did you check your windshield frame to make sure it was sitting at the correct angle? It will fit like crap if your windshield frame is tilted too far back or forward.
You did get the one for an early CJ5 right? The 76 and up tops are different.

Last edited by cjsicko; 02-25-2006 at 07:21 AM.
cjsicko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2006, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9991
I had the same problem with the horizontal door opening support coming loose. I solved it by running a #7x1/2" selfdrilling screw down from the vertical plastic piece mounted on the windshield frame. Mine fits well, but took time to make adjustments on the doors. I'd much rather have this top than the old one with snaps. Mine went through a pretty nasty wreck, and I still was able to salvage it. Some of my aluminum supports aren't as straight as they used to be. Once it's installed it looks good and you can't tell.

I also feel your pain on the back seat too, but my kids don't ride with me anymore. I'm just lucky I get to see them on occasion. You could move the seat slightly forward when running the top?

My rig is coilover too. I'd really like to see some pictures of yours. However, I think mine was more road stable before the conversion. Suspension is choices, softer ride got me a little bit more unstable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MrWillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 03:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 68034
ill try the screws thats a good idea.. as for the back seat i set it up with two positions top on and top off and i rubs in the top on, big prob is that my son i 13 months old and i have to slide my seat foward so his feet have room, my little girl is almost in just a boster i think she'll not be siting behind my wife any more. i havent paid my dues yet so i cant post pics but i will be doing that soon. the coil setup realy made the jeep fun to drive agine. so the flaps that slip in to place on the vetical piler fit fine on your jeep??? mine are barly in at the bottom and nowhere close at the top. also the screws for the bow one of them is right in the middel of the old style bow hole in the body, what the hell is the deal with that?
Old 02-26-2006, 06:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
krb

Member # 7692
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsicko
You did get the one for an early CJ5 right? The 76 and up tops are different.
Could this be the problem???
Old 02-26-2006, 06:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 22923
YES the super top is VERY thin and in the sun when it heats up it gets VERY stretchy...I had one on a 98 TJ complete with hardware and hated it in the summer - I even drilled more holes in the angle uprights to try and get it tighter...it just stretched more

I had a 75 CJ5 with a best top - but I don't think it was a super top though...I do know the super top is not a good top though...

Sailcloth OEM is about the only one worth the $$$$ - but not available on the 5

Last edited by Benzz0; 02-26-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Benzz0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9991
Maybe these will help:
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 9991
One more so you can read the measurements. If yours are in the same locations the only other thing could be your windshield is tilted to far back. This could be fixed with a new gasket, or just shimming the ends near the hinges with some washers. This would be primitive, but would solve the issue until you could get the gasket replaced.
Attached Images

Last edited by MrWillys; 02-26-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 37244
The Supertop I bought for my `72 fit the same way you describe. I`ve bought several new tops over the years, and regardless of manufacturer they all had slight fit problems. On my supertop I had to completely relocate the verticle metal posts around the doors. The rest fit pretty well. The thing I`m most disapointed with is the windows went to shit in less than a year.
4x401cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 05:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 45112
I have only put on one new top (best tops tiger top) on a 78 cj and it was not as straight forward as I would have thought before I did it once... after adjusting everything, Windshield angle was most important, it fits good!

I also had to bend the doors to fit...a lot!
offroad-dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 07:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 39564
I miss Kayline. I had a Kayline top on my old CJ7 and it fit great. They were built great and priced to match.

I've never been happy with Bestop anything.
NakedJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2006, 01:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 68034
thanks for the mesurments there have been to many fires to put out to get back to the responses but thanks for the help, i will write as soon as i jet back to working on my cj. grant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in