Disc Brake conversion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 45109
Disc Brake conversion

Do to the "search" being down I can no longer find what I am looking for. I am swapping waggy 44's in my YJ and am attempting to do the rear disc swap I am keeping the 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. I went to the parts store and played around with rotors and calipers. Supposedly chevy 1500 rotors and 92 s10 calipers should work but I couldn't find any year combination of the two to work. The loaded caliper would not slide over the rotor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jpsaharaYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 45193
http://www.southernjeeps.org/phpbb/v...ic.php?t=10506

This is for use without a rear parking brake. There was a very good in depth thread a while back about this conversion, but I didn't save it to my favorites as mine is a Scout rear axle.

Edit: found the link.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...uki+rear+disks
Read through this thread, if I remember right it discusses 5x5.5 and 6x5.5. Enjoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bull Durham Racing
WEROCK Stock Mod East
Team #360
95yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2006, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 45109
Thanks for the links!

Old 03-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 498
Send a message via ICQ to WheelingPiazza Send a message via AIM to WheelingPiazza
Or www.tsm-mfg.com and get the whole kit.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 45109
Alright I have been to the local parts store everyday this week for about an hour each day going through diff. rotors to see what my options were.
I could easily use the fullsize chevy rotors and the large chevy caliper but I want to use the small chevy caliper do to the overall size and the amount of space I have in my 15" wheels. Not to mention the smaller caliper is going to take less fluid than the larger caliper. The problem with the small chevy calipers is finding a rotor that is 6x5.5 and is somewhat in the width specs of the small caliper. I have found two that could work.

1- 1990's 4x4 toyota tacoma the braking surface width is about .100 smaller than the recomended minimum width of rotors that use the small caliper and I would need to turn the outside diameter of axle shaft wheel mounting flange so that it would fit inside the rotor

2- 2004 4x4 toyota tundra the braking surface width is to the exact specifications for the small caliper but I would again have to turn down the outside diameter of the axle shaft wheel mounting flange so that it would fit inside the rotor and I would have to turn down the outside diameter of the rotor about 3/4" to 1"

With all that being said I need find somebody with a lathe or a local machine shop in orange county, Ca to help me out. Any other idea's
Old 03-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11973
TSM uses Lincoln rotors with Monte Carlo callipers.
Murfman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 67703
What year lincoln rotors?
Jlynch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 67506
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingPiazza
Or www.tsm-mfg.com and get the whole kit.
Check TSM out, even if you don't buy from them you can certainly learn from them. I am very happy with their product and service.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 19579
I'm in the process of getting this done on mine.....

I did a bunch of research and was going to go with the Teraflex kit because it has the internal ebrake setup (like Fords). Took it to Otter - and after redrilling holes and fabbing new brackets - we discovered there wasn't enough clearance to clear the ebrake setup. Option #1 DEAD

Then - tried to locate brackets from a junkyard to fit some chevy stuff - with no luck. Option #2 DEAD

Currently - Option #3 - ordered the TSM kit. My rig is still at the shop waiting for the parts to show up and have this installed.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 19579
Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Jeep
Check TSM out, even if you don't buy from them you can certainly learn from them. I am very happy with their product and service.
That's good to hear!! Thankyou
Old 03-10-2006, 11:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 45109
I have checked out TSM and have even talked to them on the phone they wouldn't tell me much about their rotors everything else they discuss. There are plenty of options to make your own kit for a lot less than TSM or any other kit for that matter it is all about finding the right parts.

About the lincoln rotors they are not 6x5.5 are they?

Right now I think the best bet is the toyota tundra rotors with the small chevy calipers and the A-A brackets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in