Pinion Angle - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 48744
Pinion Angle

I'm doing the 8.8 into SOA YJ swap over the weekend. And I'm trying to get a general consesus on people who have done this.

1. What was you front D30 pinion angle
2. What did you regret about the build (Read: What did you wish you had done differently, what specialty things did you whish you had bought before hand, etc)

Remember that I'm in college so I'm doing most of this swap with basic hand/air tools, no torch, and getting the gears/perches setup and welded professionally.
TAMUyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 29636
Send a message via Yahoo to butch6924
1-You shouldn't mess with the front end. YJ's have the HPD30 so the pinion angle isn't nearly as important as cator, which you will be messing with by messing with your front pinion angle.

2-No regrets. I also swapped in 4.10's from 3.55's and it made the Jeep a bit more driveable. All in all, well worth the upgrade.
butch6924 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 26623
As far as the D30 goes, use an angle finder to determine the current caster. Ad 3 deg caster (ie. the pinion will rotate down) for final set up. The only other way to do it would be cut off the steering knuckles and weld them back on at the proper caster - a lot more involved.

You will need more than wrenches to do this job. Some fab/welding is involved.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 19579
Are you asking this question to help you adjust where the spring perches should be on the D30 for SOA setup??

I wouldn't adjust the perch placement based on the pinion angle.

You should look more closely at your CASTER (knuckle rotation) and not worry so much about pinion angle. Your front driveshaft isn't turning during normal everyday 2wd usage (unless you have a fulltime locker up front).

The PROPER and ideal way of setting up your front end - is to remove the knuckles off the axle tubes and rotate the pinion and the knuckles where they need to be before placeing the perches on the tubes.

Last edited by Janster; 03-08-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Janster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 48744
No what i'm saying is that I've read, if you keep the front pinion angle the same, then the caster does not change. So what i want to do is weld the new D30 spring perches on at an angle so that i receive no bump steer, death wobble, etc.

Is this incorrect that if i measure the pinion angle SUA and then replicate it SOA the caster will be unchanged.? How do i set the perch angle?
TAMUyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11973
take a level, rotate your pumpkin until it is level and then take the angle finder and measure the SUA perches. Take that measurement and rotate it 180* and - from 360, that should give you your angle for the SOA perches
Murfman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 26623
You are correct that if you mount the new ones parallel to the old ones you will retain the same caster, but you really should ADD about 3 degrees of caster. With the larger tires you will be running the extra caster will help you bring them back to center and not have you wandering all over the road.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 29498
You'll have steering issues unless you go with the M.O.R.E. kit,the draglink will hit the spring when you turn.M.O.R.E. kit puts the draglink above the spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TJ,B2,Sold the Mog,BoughtCTD
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in