Dana 30 High steer options - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 66419
Dana 30 High steer options

Hey all,

I've decided to put a high steer set up on my YJ dana 30. I'm not sure if I should go with the Teraflex kit or the M.O.R.E. kit. A lot of people seem to have complaints about the steering knuckle on the Teraflex kit. Apparently, it puts the draglink too far forward and you lose turning radius. BUT, it looks like Teraflex has changed this in Dec 2005.
My rig is a 89 YJ, SOA with 4'' lift springs. I will most likely be removing the lift springs and putting on some 1.5'' RE or 2'' superlift springs.

Does anybody have any experience with either of these kits? I'm getting some bump steer with my current setup (custom s-shape draglink + drop pitman arm). I still have sway bar, steering stabilizer and track bar, although the track bar has a modified mount.

Which one would you pick for this application and why?
Thanks.
slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 33498
don't waste your money on a D30, get a waggy d44 and put it up front, especially since you're running 35" MTs.
wiggamoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 66419
I don't run anything bigger than 35's and the front is not locked, so the D30 will hold up just fine.
If I switch to a D44 front, I will have to regear and switch wheels to 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern. My D44 rear is 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern (out of a XJ).
EVen if I found a cheap D44 waggy front, I'd still have to probably fix the brakes up, regear to 4.56, and then I'd still have the steering issues to deal with. It would cost me upwards of $1000 to swap axles.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 38562
Send a message via AIM to Schmozilla
unbreakable and higher than stock...
I cost me about 350ish in parts

Last edited by Schmozilla; 03-09-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Schmozilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 26623
I just installed the Teraflex High Steer on my 95 YJ. My rig is SOA with RE SOA 1.5" springs and 35" tires. I've only had it on the trail (snow) once since the install, but I drive it on the highway daily. So far it seems to be working great. I considered the M.O.R.E. kit, but it comes with Heim joints which are not legal in California, although I doubt anyone would ever know. I did have to put in some wheel spacers in to move the tires away from the TREs. I haven't noticed any reduction in steering radius, but I did notice that my tires no longer rub on the spring packs in a tight turn. Probably due mostly to the wheel spacers.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 66419
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMo
I just installed the Teraflex High Steer on my 95 YJ. My rig is SOA with RE SOA 1.5" springs and 35" tires.
Do you know if you got the new style Teraflex steer knuckle with the shorter steer arm? Also, what size wheels are you running? 15x10's? Do you still run a track bar or sway bar? Sorry for all the questions.
I'm really leaning towards the Teraflex setup.

Sidenote: did you get the RE SOA 1.5'' springs with 5 leafs or 6? Or did you use 6 up front and 5 in the back? etc.

Last edited by slamigo; 03-09-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 32401
Send a message via Yahoo to hotwheelsYJ
Do the WJ brake conversion and get some decent brakes under it while your at it.
I did the complete swap with junkyard parts and have less than $100 + my time in it.
Some of the write ups I used:
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/brakes/xj_wjbrakes03/
http://www.jksmfg.com/db/fab_parts/doc_page2.html
http://www.downeastoffroad.com/HIGHSTEER.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hotwheelsYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2006, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 68171
[QUOTE=hotwheelsYJ]Do the WJ brake conversion and get some decent brakes under it while your at it.
X2, Do the reverse taper for better clearance too...
Old 03-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 26623
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo
Do you know if you got the new style Teraflex steer knuckle with the shorter steer arm? Also, what size wheels are you running? 15x10's? Do you still run a track bar or sway bar? Sorry for all the questions.
I'm really leaning towards the Teraflex setup.

Sidenote: did you get the RE SOA 1.5'' springs with 5 leafs or 6? Or did you use 6 up front and 5 in the back? etc.
To tell you the truth I didn't know that there were 2 styles of Teraflex. But if there are, mine is likely the newer one since I just put it in last Dec. Tires are 35" M/T Baja Claw Radials on 15x8" steel rims with 1" back spacing. As far as the track bar goes here's what I'm running.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 66419
well, I am ordering the teraflex knuckle and I'll get the draglink fabbed locally out of 1.25'' .250 wall DOM tubing. What length is the Teraflex draglink?
Old 03-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 43046
Unless the jeep is almost strickly off road, I would never go with any kit or home made steering that uses rod end/heims. They are not intended to be used for this type of application. They wear out too fast and they transfer any vibs that will be in your steering. Even the teflon raced ones do not last that long. I went to a suspension/steering manufacturer near me that makes custom suspension parts for my trail only jeep, and he wont even sell rod ends if he knows they are going to be used on the street. He used to sell them, and he realized when he put them on his own car, they were not worth the trouble. He got an average of 7000-10000 miles out of a set, and he used all different ones. Just my 2 cents. I hhope those that have used the heims had better luck than he.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 66419
I'm not using heim joints. My custom draglink will use dodge ram TREs that are the same taper as the jeep ones, but they are a bit stronger. Heim joints are not legal here in Canada as they do not have double sheer protection and they do not stand up to Canadian winters either.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 13055
I have had this project on the back burner since last year. I have one of the older Tereflex knuckels, and will be installing it on my 91 YJ (SOA). I too was troubled about the resticted turning radius. But if memory serves me right, the problem is solved by using a slightly longer pitman arm, from a Waggy I believe. When the search engine is back up, try searching for Teraflex knuckle. It's out there.
Stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 24091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmozilla
unbreakable and higher than stock...
Higher than stock, maybe. Unbreakable? I don't think so. Especially with all that shit in single shear.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
I'm not using heim joints. My custom draglink will use dodge ram TREs that are the same taper as the jeep ones, but they are a bit stronger. Heim joints are not legal here in Canada as they do not have double sheer protection and they do not stand up to Canadian winters either.
So tell me, how many double shear Tie Rod Ends have you seen?
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2006, 06:31 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 66419
The ministry of transport considers the cotter pins as the backup safety to the bolted connection.
I did not say the TREs were double shear, I said that heim joints are not. Heim joints are only safe if mounted in a double shear manner.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 2331
Quote:
The ministry of transport considers the cotter pins as the backup safety to the bolted connection.
The rod ends on the MORE kit come with cotter pins to be installed... So from that defination, they would be double shear.

I guess I should have said the bolts...

Last edited by Warlock; 03-11-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in