Jeep 4.0l Slave Cylinder problems - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 28135
Jeep 4.0l Slave Cylinder problems

This is what is happening. Well about 3 months ago my jeep started making a noise when i pushed in the clutch. It also became very hard to shift and then it wouldnt shift at all unless i flow shifted it. I pulled the transmission and replaced the slave cylinder and it was fixed for about 2 months. Then one day it started to do the same noise. The noise is like a loud metal to metal squeel/screech only when i push the clutch in. Well i thought it was maybe my clutch so i pulled the transmission and found out that my crank shaft could move back and forth about 1/4 of an inch. So then i dropped the oil pan and found out that whoever rebuilt the engine before i bought it put the thrust bearing in the wrong spot and it smashed a little and that was why it had play. I also thought since there was a noise and there was play in the crank shaft the clutch or something connected to the crank shaft must be hitting something and causing the squeel when i push in the clutch and it pushes the flywheel toward the block. Well i replaced the main bearings and put the thrust bearing in the right place and there was no noise or play. I put everything together and drove it until this week and now it is making the same noise again. I think that the slave cylinder that i bought 3 months ago is bad but i am not sure. This time when i replace the slave cylinder i am also going to replace the pilot bearing just for fun since if it goes out i will have to pull the transmission again and it is only 7 dollars. When i changed the main bearings i did not see anywhere that had metal to metal wear. Is there any other things that could make this metal to metal squeel other than the slave cylinder. Also the slave cylinder on jeeps ax15 is built with the throwout bearing connected to it if yall didnt know this. Thanks for reading this long post and if yall need any more info just ask.

Thanks a lot!
itisme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5943
Location: Southeastern MN. (formerly near Chicago, I've ESCAPED!)
First of all, the internal slave cylinder is only used through 93. 94 and later YJs and XJs got the external slave cylinder.

Secondly, the aftermarket slaves seem to fail more often than the OEM. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. I hear more squawks about aftermarkets failing than OEM.
ChiXJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 28135
i am sorry that I did not say that my jeep is a 93 Jeep YJ.

Also i have a dana 300 that i bolted to it if that helps any.

tomarrow i will be tearing into it and i will post my findings.

I guess it should really be the slave cylinder/throwout bearing that is bad. Any seconds on that

Old 03-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 13055
I would have to lean towards a bad replacement slave cylindar. Where did you get it? What brand is it? Did it come with a warrenty?

The slave cylindar on my 91YJ recently went out. No noise, other than the sound of fluid/air rushing past bad/blown seals. I just replaced it, along with the clutch, pressure plate, & pilot bearing. I used a Valeo clutch kit that I got from Napa. I did notice a stamp on the pressure plate that said made in Korea. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 28135
Well it turned out that my transmission was comming apart from my engine. I found out that there was a haqlf inch of space between the engine and the transmission. When i took the starter off i saw that the pressure plate had rubbed the starter and that was what was causing the noise. When i would push the clutch in the transmission would go farther away from the engine and since the pressur plate is connected to the engine and the staRTER is connected to the bell housing they would hit more when i pushed the clutch in and make a very loud squeel. The bad thing is that they probably will not warrenty my lifetime warrenty starter any more but it still works fine so until it goes out one day then i will worry. I didnt have to pull the transmission all i had to do was buy one bolt that wasnt in the bell housing and also tighten everything up. Thanks so much for the help. Also i took my body lift off and changed a few of the leaves in my spring packs and i also started building my tire carrier.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 28135
Well it turned out that my transmission was comming apart from my engine. I found out that there was a haqlf inch of space between the engine and the transmission. When i took the starter off i saw that the pressure plate had rubbed the starter and that was what was causing the noise. When i would push the clutch in the transmission would go farther away from the engine and since the pressur plate is connected to the engine and the staRTER is connected to the bell housing they would hit more when i pushed the clutch in and make a very loud squeel. The bad thing is that they probably will not warrenty my lifetime warrenty starter any more but it still works fine so until it goes out one day then i will worry. I didnt have to pull the transmission all i had to do was buy one bolt that wasnt in the bell housing and also tighten everything up. Thanks so much for the help. Also i took my body lift off and changed a few of the leaves in my spring packs and i also started building my tire carrier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in