Buick 231 Swap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 65922
Buick 231 Swap

I just finished swapping in a 231 v-6 out of a 75' Skyhawk. The engine is equipped with EGR and a choke that runs off of the heat from the exhaust manifold. I ditched the manifilds and put on some headers. All I did with the EGR was put vacuum caps on the outlets. The engine won't start. I know it is getting fuel and spark because it tries to start and it spits out smoke every once and a while. The spark plugs are fine and the plug wires are fine. The timing is dead on. The timing is even better than my old 225 v-6. WHY WON'T IT START? Is it the EGR? HELP!

Boomer
boomer87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 53597
no-it's not because of the EGR-it won't keep it from starting. The coolant temperature sensors (that you don't have hooked up) prevent EGR function until warmed up anyway. How do you know the timing is dead on if it's not running? You can't really-you can be close enough to start however. I had a similar situation w/a vehicle that I had just bought. You need to verify that it's getting fuel-disconnect the fuel line and crank-should be a steady and full stream. Among other problems-my fuel filter had been hooked up backwards,the timing was way off,and the carb had been adapted to the engine and had numerous vacuum leaks in the adapter plate. After figuring all this out and straightening it out-the engine runs excellent. Just need to keep checking the basics,then hook up a timing light when you get it running. But no-it's not the EGR missing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
piratebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 65922
I know that the timing is dead on because I tapped the starter over untill the timing mark on the HBalancer lined up with zero, then I pulled the cap off of the dist and the rotor lined up perfect on plug wire #1. I pulled the spark plug and the cylinder was all the way up. I checked the fuel filter and it is on right. I have an electric fuel pump and it is pumping fuel to the carb. The engine was running five days ago when I pulled it from the car, so the needle shouldn't be sticking. I didn't mess with the carb at all. The compression is sittin at 118psi on all cylinders so I know its good. It just blows my mind that it won't run. I'm not completely ignorent on timing.

Boomer

Old 03-12-2006, 04:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 53597
ok-this is the newbie section so lets just say I'm not going to flame you. When you do get it running-put a timing light on it and see how ignorant you are of timing. You have it timed enough to get it running. Try another set of plugs-I know it was running before-but I've seen a new set of plugs get something running that wouldn't start before. They can foul out and glaze over. How old is the fuel? Summer blend has a hard time starting in cool weather . Just keep checking the basics-you do know a little about this-but nobody knows everything. I know you are getting frustrated by this point,I don't think anyone can solve this except somebody who is working on it personally. Make certain that the ignition coil is receiving power at all times,test light or voltmeter will do.Look for loose connections on electrical wiring-it's going to be something you did hooking it up or disconnecting it from the other vehicle in all likelyhood. It can take a long time to figure out stuff like this sometimes even for a pro-I know from experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
piratebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2006, 05:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24747
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer87
WHY WON'T IT START? Is it the EGR? HELP!
I give you my standard answer for this: Give the carb a shot of starting fluid-ether. If it trys to run-then it is a fuel delivery problem.

If not then it is a spark problem. even tho a sparkplug may spark while looking at it grounded to the outside of the motor-it (they) can crap out under compression. If in fact you have spark-and this sob is not lighting off then I suspect fouled plugs as the previous poster mentioned. Don't waste yer time trying to clean them up with solvents, wire brush, etc., unless you have a sand/bead blaster. If you have an HEI distributor-make damn sure you have a full 12 volts feeding it. Remove any drop resistor usually found in a point system if your volt meter shows otherwise. Hang in there.

NRA Life

CRPA Life

Backncardr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 65922
Allright, thanks for the help guys, but I figured it out. I did have the timing right. After holding the key on for a minute without letting off, it finally started. I had to keep the throttle going to keep it runnin though. I hooked up the timing light and it was four degrees advanced. Good for 9000 ft. in altitude. I feel stupid for this.... I looked in the carb after I shut it off scratching my head ( it wouldn't run right ) and saw gas puring down like you wouldn't believe. It turns out that the needle was stuck, the float was stuck, and there was an 1/8 inch of debris in the bottom of the bowl. The engine was floading itself! First clue was the endless amount of white smoke coming out of the pipes. Stupid!

Boomer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in