Rubicon Express 3 link rear - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2006, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 20548
Rubicon Express 3 link rear

I've been planning on getting the new RE long arm kit with the 3 link rear, but someone told me that the Claytons kit is better.

Here is what was said:

"I honestly would not get the RE 3 link. I would buy Clayton's RE tri link upgrade instead. With it you get a truss to weld on your axle and both adjustable upper control arms with Johnny Joints on both ends. The RE is kind of funky how it bolts on to your stock brackets and diff cover. It also uses a Y for the two upper arms at the rear."

But talking to Steve Nantz at the Moab 4x4 Outpost, he said that Claytons kits have problems and aren't worth the money.

Any thoughts? Anybody out there running the RE kit or seen it in use. My wife has the 4.5" RE kit on her XJ and it has been awesome. I also like the 100% bolt-on aspect of the RE kit since I don't weld. I've always though RE's eingeenering was top notch, did they screw up on this one?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2006, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9991
Why not the full traction kit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MrWillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2006, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20548
I didn't consider the Full Traction kit, because frankly I don't personnaly know anyody running one of their kits, so I have no reference for their quality or longevity.

Why SHOULD i get the Full Traction Kit?

Old 03-14-2006, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 23853
Send a message via AIM to DarkEternal Send a message via Skype™ to DarkEternal
RE only puts cartridge joints on one side so you still get the shock absorbtion of the bushings on the road. This is nice if you do drive on the street still. It doesnt hurt flex as much as one might think either.
DarkEternal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 65809
i just put the RE long arms and the tri link rear on my 97 TJ and love it .. if i were to buy a new kit i would probably go with the full traction kit with the 3 link front with the longer upper arm and the rear tri link set up . it looks to be a good set up ...i also bought my long arm kit used and bought the tri link kit when installing it .i kinda like the way RE does there tri link its Stout the way it mounts to the upper CA brackets and also mounts to the upper 3 bolts on the diff cover it looks funky but its Pretty Stout .. i have only done a couple Snow runs since install but i did flex it a couple times and i gotta say it flexs pretty damn good

Last edited by CreepyCrawler; 03-14-2006 at 08:13 PM.
CreepyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 20548
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
GSW

Member # 40411
Did the guy that said Clayton kits "have problems and aren't worth the money" offer any details?
GSW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25101
my buddy just recently got the three link, works great, ride better than stock, and looks to be pretty stout

he had an 8.8 rear, so he couldnt use the stock bracketry, so some tube work was required , so i cant comment on how it works bolting to the stock diff
awspence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 20548
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
Did the guy that said Clayton kits "have problems and aren't worth the money" offer any details?
No, he basically said that they're pretty redneck and aren't the best quality. I didn't ask beyond that.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 48100
He obviously does not know clayton or anything having to do with them. All of their stuff is TOP quality and they are a small business so they can check everything to make sure it all is. Sounds like you need to talk to someone else if he thinks this of clayton.

Last edited by tweba99; 03-15-2006 at 03:02 PM.
tweba99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 20548
Ok, I'll look into them a bit more.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 35700
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeep
Any thoughts? Anybody out there running the RE kit or seen it in use. My wife has the 4.5" RE kit on her XJ and it has been awesome. I also like the 100% bolt-on aspect of the RE kit since I don't weld. I've always though RE's eingeenering was top notch, did they screw up on this one?

Thanks
I say bring it to me and I'll put the Clayton tri link on for you! It'l be the happiest day of your life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10% PIRATE COUPON CODE (not valid for harnesses and PCM tuning): pirate4x4

Special thanks to: My Family and Friends, Yukon Gear and Axle, DynoMAX Exhaust, AllTech Motorsports, Radflo Shocks, PAC Racing Springs, JM Rigging Supply, Reid Racing, Rugged Radios, Trail-Gear, Life-Time LED Lights, RuffStuff Specialties, Randy's Racing Transmissions, A1 Performance Converters, Maxxis Tires, Jesse Haines Fab, CBR Performance, PRP Seats, Exhaust Solutions, DiffsOnly.com, and 150Tunes.com
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in