what is the secret behind GEARING!!! Helpme! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 04:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 62426
what is the secret behind GEARING!!! Helpme!

ok!

I am not a newbieee but I have some missing knowledge about gearing and nobody tells me about it face to face !!
Anyway like all of us I have some dreams of installing larger tires! Of couse it takes time and money. I found a set of Dana60s with 3,54 gears on them (I am told those are out of a truck what truck nobody knows! they also have hypoid(?) locks in them) and they told me that my CJ will not move without changing the ring and pinion ( also they calculated and told me that 46-13, are those the number of tooth?).
I am currently running AMC20 & DANA30 with 4.10 ratio, 33' tires, T150 & 258I6. So here is my question If I directly swap those axles why does not my CJ move?
thx..
darkcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 04:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 69137
gear

Ratio will be too high (bad leverage) if you run a 'big' tire. With 3:54 and 'big' tires, you will smoke you clutch out trying to get it moving. I have run 4:56's with 33" and 36" tires and noticed that its almost like a stock amount of acceleration for a 258. The two number they gave you are the tooth counts of the pinion and ring gears- dividing and you get 3.538 (1:3.54). The idea is that the bigger the tire, the larger the circumference- and hence the more ground you cover each revolution. The more ground covered per revolution at a given speed drops your engine rpm's. Drop them too much and you have no power. Putting on big tires without regearing would be like trying to start in 2nd gear with stock equipment. Possible, but it sucks and forget offroading- unless you have a deep first or a trick transfer case...
Hope this helps.

Get the D60's- put in 4:56 or lower. Put on 'big' tires. Weld the spider gears. Go have fun.
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2006, 05:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 62426

thx,

now it is more clear, also I undertstood the chart in the below link

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

I think CJ owners are facing similiar problems while swaping (trying to swap) diesel engines ( I see it only on the web in Brasil, India.. ).

I have all new 3.31 gear set for Dana 30 but it is clear that it is totally useless

thx again

Old 03-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 65134
Your jeep will move, but it will really suck.
I know, I have 3.07 in my d30 and d35 which is not bad with stock tires, but I put on 33s and have no power.
You will notice that gear is not even on the gear table chart.
You can always regear the D60s.
coachchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 01:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 62426

thx! I already got 60s and start workin on them!

Now a lot of problems to solve
Rear 60 will be fine, front one has drums, and I will have to solve steerin issue. It is all about jeepin' and there is always something better and biggerr..this will never end...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in