found out my rear is shorter than front :( - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 54975
Send a message via AIM to Plato2k5
found out my rear is shorter than front :(

soo i had my rear springs deliverd last nite so i installed the rear axle....well it looked a little funny compared tot he front so i measured and sure enough the rear is around 6" Shorter than the front. The rear is a 9" and the front is a Dana 44. It wouldn't be a problem except the 9" has moser shafts. 3" spacers would be out of the question wouldn't it....i'd not wan't to run them either.

don't wan't to narrow the front as i don't have much money to do that than have to buy custome shafts

anything i could do?? Just leave it??
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 18675
Send a message via Yahoo to bspencer
all axles for a 4x4 are like that...the rear is narrower than the front to give it a better turning radius and it tracks better that way too
Old 03-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 13410
Send a message via ICQ to TJ Fan Send a message via AIM to TJ Fan Send a message via Yahoo to TJ Fan
That is a little 'too' much IMO of a difference. I would buy 1.5" spacers for it to decrease track width difference to approx. 3" overall.

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 330-549-9082
Custom Axles, CNC Machining (Vertical, Horizontal and Lathe Work), Welding and Bending

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TJ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 38562
Send a message via AIM to Schmozilla
Mine are 3.5 inches diffrent... I run custom back spacing in the front to pull my front wheels in a bit... you could do that and space the rear out a little...
Schmozilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 54975
Send a message via AIM to Plato2k5
i knew trucks were set up that way but 6" is far too much like you guys said. I was thinkin of running small spacers to bring the rear out. I wouldn't mind running custom backspacing on the rims but i don't wan't to do that as if i have to put a spare on it will cause all sorts of problems. I'll just go with 1.5 spacers on each side for the back.....can anyone recomend a good set for 5x5.5 pattern???

thanks guys,
Kirk
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato2k5
i knew trucks were set up that way but 6" is far too much like you guys said.

thanks guys,
Kirk
Eb rear axle and F150 front axle?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato2k5
soo i had my rear springs deliverd last nite so i installed the rear axle....well it looked a little funny compared tot he front so i measured and sure enough the rear is around 6" Shorter than the front. The rear is a 9" and the front is a Dana 44. It wouldn't be a problem except the 9" has moser shafts. 3" spacers would be out of the question wouldn't it....i'd not wan't to run them either.

don't wan't to narrow the front as i don't have much money to do that than have to buy custome shafts

anything i could do?? Just leave it??

You're just now finding this out? Doesn't seem like you knew much about the axles you installed. Get 1.5 spacers on each side in the rear. Run 5" backspacing in the front, and 3.5" backspacing in the rear. Problem solved. Get a spare with either backspacing. It won't cause any problems.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2006, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 24992
I would just get yourself some 1" or 1-1/2" spacers for the rear and call it good. My Waggies are something on the order of 62" front 58" rear. That's 4". If you're looking for it, you will see it, but it doesn't jump out at you. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. If it was good enough for a stock Waggie it's good enough for my YJ. My understanding is the rears are narrower so that the back wheels track closer to the front's when you are turning.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 69077
to answer your question about wheel spacers.... spidertrax make nice ones, as do most of the custom companies... Mountain offroad express ( www.mountainoffroad.com ) makes custom spacers to your specs.
lilredrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in