Dana 44 steering question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 06:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 27549
Send a message via AIM to Majo
Dana 44 steering question

I know I will get flamed for this, but search is down so the hell with it.

Well last night while putting of homework, some friends and I, came up with a wacky idea for steering on a front 44. We talked about it for a while and didn't see a reason as to why we can't do it. So here's what we discussed and then we went and measured.

What we discussed was taking the passenger side outer knuckle and putting it on the drivers side so the arm is behind the axle. Then take a flattop driver side knuckle and put it on the passenger side. (Pictue in your mind, so the tie rod can be behind the housing). In this case you would only have to buy 1 high steer arm from Rock Stomper or such. With this setup you could put the tie rod behind the axle, yet still clear the springs on a soa application, and run crossover. Cheap and no maching?

So we went down to the shop and measured 2 dana 44's with a measuring tape. We measured an early Jtruck 8 lug front 44 and it seemed like the housing was a lil to long in the rear for where the tie rod would run. We went over and measured the waggy axle and it seemed like it came out better. Now after looking we determined the waggy axle would be the best to try it with (drivers drop), because the stock tie rod has a slight bend in it where it looks like it would hit the ?oil channel/snout? area leading to the pinion. Now we imagine that we'd have to grind a little of that metal down, but we are really curious to see how thick it is.

In any case I have a spare waggy 44 housing and tie rod and were going to try it out this weekend and post results.

Any opinions?

now the thing we though of is that it will mess up the ackerman angle a little but, hey it's a wheeling primary rig so little sacrifice can be taken there.

Last edited by Majo; 03-22-2006 at 06:35 AM.
Majo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 31557
I think you are correct in that it will affect the ackerman angle, thus making it less desireable on road. I think the tie rod will be super close to the pinion snout, but it may work. Let's see some pics!
frontporchfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2006, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 54836
Search Is'nt Down, Its Only For Paying Customers
ACHASE6002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 33065
I started a thread about this a wile back. I was going to do this with my high steer arms but did not have to. I put in full hydro with a double ended ram so I have two small tie rods that are at a small angle down to the arms. I looked for my old thead but could not find it. I think it got lost on one of the server problems we had.

WeBilt 4WD Club
JDunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in