lockright problems - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 35803
lockright problems

Well I hate this effing lockright in my 8.8, it has given me nothing but problems. I changed the fluid this weekend and put on a fresh gasket and new oil and have driven it around about 150 miles so far. On the way home from work tonight I get a wierd vibration in the rear. When I pull off the exit the lockright is continually clicking even when going straight. It does not click when generous throttle is applied (like on the highway). I felt the rear diff cover and it was BLAZING hot but they diff fluid was full as could be. The pins and springs appeared to be in good shape when I checked them. WTF is going on here? TIA!
Puma297 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2006, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 67386
Send a message via AIM to HsOffRoad
The only time I have seen lockrights malfunction is when they are installed wrong. I've seen guys not put the thrust washers from the side gears onto the lock right and that causes all kinds of goofy excessive backlash & strange operation. I've also seen guys install them with a mangled crosspin and had them stick and whatnot.

Generally, when the lockright malfuctions, it acts as a spool & refuses to unlock. I'm not sure what is going on in your case. Check to make sure everything is installed properly (The c-clips are seated correctly, the cross pin, shear pins, & springs are in good shape, and the thrust washers & the rest of the unit is installed correctly). Change your gear oil and see what happens. If it keeps giving you trouble - Get a set of C-clip eliminators, weld or spool the 8.8, and be done with it.
"Shut Up And Wheel Your Junk" - UROC/NEUROC Super-Mod Team #143
HsOffRoad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2006, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 25117
Was the lockrite new when you installed it and how many miles total are on it? I might be free Friday afternoon and can help if you want to tear back into the axle.

AARON

Old 12-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 9850
had a bud with a cj had the same prob with his lockright, kept on clikin, turned out he had a slightly bent axle.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 89483
worn thrust washers?

there is a clearance spec to check, its on the last page of the little lockrite book. umm....... .005-.012"? guessing, i can't remember exactly.

some one post it. inside back cover of the install book.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 78408
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee pete View Post
had a bud with a cj had the same prob with his lockright, kept on clikin, turned out he had a slightly bent axle.
I had the exact same problem with mine. Check the oval holes where the springs are inserted and you will probably find damage to the drivers in those areas. Pull out the manual and feeler gages and check the tolerances. If they're in spec, Richmond will most likely replace the locker but also verify that the axle is straight otherwise you'll be shipping another one back pretty quick.
KC2OTE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in