Toyo Open Country vs. TRXus MTs vs. MTZ: - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 06:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 23829
Toyo Open Country vs. TRXus MTs vs. MTZ:

I am wanting to hear from people with these tires or ridden in a Jeep with them. I have been sold on TRXus MTs, but then I saw the MTZs and I hear good things about the Toyos also.

If it matters they will be 35s.
XJ4THEKICKIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2006, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 62615
Im running Trxus MT's in the 33 flavor and my buddy runs them in the 35 flavor. We both love these tires. They are probably the most diverse tire out there. great for a daily driver, yet still can take offroad abuse. I have had mine on for about 3 years now and they still have 2/3 of the tread left!!! Great all around tire for the price and what you get. I just read in JP about the MTZ's and they said they are not to shabby either but I wouldnt know first hand. If you wanted another tire to look at maybe consider the Nitto Mud Grappler. They have gotten some good reviews as well.

Matt
matts88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 23829
Yeah I was happy to see that in my latest JP, but they never compare them to other tires.

I don't want t spen the $$ on the Nittos even though they sound awsome.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 27661
For those of you running Trxus year round on your rigs, what kind of treadwear mileage do you expect to get out of them?
ducktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 62615
I rotate mine at every oil change and I expect to see about 30,000 miles out of my set and that is including a wheelin trip every month just about. That is a rough estimate and I have no idea if that is high or low or not since I disconnected my speedo a while back.

Matt

Last edited by matts88yj; 03-28-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 23829
I've "heard" you should expect 30-40k miles if rotated often.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 62615
Yeah now that I think about it, that sounds like a more accurate figure. Thanks for that correction!!!!

Matt
Old 03-28-2006, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 61408
I had a set of toyo open country mt's 35x13.50's. loved them for on road and off. very quiet on the road and i got a lot of miles out of them(had um on for well over a year still 50% tread if not more). very good offroad as well, good traction wet and dry. only reason i sold um is im steppin up to full widths and 39 iroks.

Only thing i hated was seeing them on all the frat boys lifted chevy 1500
duffxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 61408
Oh and the added inch of width really makes them stand out (13.50 toyo, 12.50 trxus)
duffxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 24709
Send a message via AIM to CartsXJ Send a message via Yahoo to CartsXJ
I got about 55K out of my first set of 33" trxus's with religious rotations and proper inflation. They still had tread left when I took them off for the 35's. Rotations andproper air pressure is what makes those tires last. One of the best all around tires I've ever seen, from snow, ice, rain, dry pavement, rocks, etc.......if you have a DD and run pretty much everything, you can't go wrong with the Trxus MT's.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 70002
I have the Trxus MTs in the 33" style, and they are the shit. I absolutely love them, they destroy ice, deep snow, dry pavement. I just got them about three months ago so I havent really been able to get them into some sidewall slicing rocks but I will soon and know right now that I will not be dissapointed. Buy the Trxus MTs you wont be either.
VTechTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 08:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 69899
for what its worth fellers.... i run a 33x13.50 toyo open country mt....... great on road tire and hooks up well in the mud out here in washington state..... not too sure about the rocks ect.... They wear great! in fact i am going to a 35 inch tire here soon and schwab is going to buy back my tires for just a hair under what i paid for them because the treadware in almost unmeasurable after about 8k miles..... i have no experience with the other tires you mentioned but for daily driving and wekend wheling i love the toyos....
Jcalderon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in