Intake :-( - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 66647
Intake :-(

Alright my AMC motor had the stock breather thats sealed and has an opening to the cool air intake you can hook up to the front grill area with the radiator. I never had that hooked up and wasn't sure if I would even get any on road improvement with it.

So my motor is pretty much dead. I am getting anotehr AMC304, just an 82 (I have a 79 Jeep) and was wanting to add a better filter and if the breather sucks a bigger new one.

But when I go wheelin I find dirt in my breather around it before the filter. It looks like the filter catchs it befor eti goes in, but not the water. Is this an issue? Of course I figure too much water will just kill the engine till it drys up (WD40 or Starter Fluid ... gas??). So why not a washable filter like some from K&N I can recharge and such. Or should I just stick with the stock and hook up the what looks to be cool air intake.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 65100
Send a message via Yahoo to rustywagoneersdotcom
seal the breather good, and run a snorkel, or get used to changing engines.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9614
Amazingly, an open K&N has done pretty good keeping the water out for me... just make sure to keep it clean and oiled (essentially clean and oil it after every wheeling trip).

I don't believe I'd add or keep anything that put a big hose facing forward where the highest water would be most likely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fullygruntled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2006, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 66647
I'd like to make a snorkel, but I don't know yet if I want a hole cut in the side of my Jeep with pipes up the side.

That is not sure yet... which means there is a 90% chance I'll have it built by the end of June.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 66647
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywagoneersdotcom
seal the breather good, and run a snorkel, or get used to changing engines.
The only reason I'm changing motors now is due to the fact my main seal went out, oil goes everywere, stuff wears out because its hard to keep up with the leaking when it drains over 1 Quart a day (I know the EPA would love to fine me for that.) and then it finaly gave away and I couldnt drive it.

The motor is old, worn, and needed a rebuild. A rebuild would cost more then I made last year in my almost min wages job. No big deal. I got an AMC 304 for $100, good shape has everything. Going to put my rebuilt carb, new 60somethin amp altenator on it, new headers, some ignition work, bunch of new seals, oil pump, water pump, thermostats, etc and have something to run with for a while. While its out were replacing the clutch and worn clutch linkages parts and such.

And the motor still runs great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in