Jeeps are worse than Heroin.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 34511
Jeeps are worse than Heroin....

Some of you know, I am a recovering Jeeper. Jeeps, in case you diddnt know, are worse than Heroin. You ALWAYS want "just one more" no matter how bad you know they are for you...

...Which brings me to my current dilema. A girl I work with "blew up" her jeep [her words, not mine] and is now offering it for sale for $500. It is a 93 Cherokee, 4.0L, auto, 4wd, 100k miles. Supposedly she had a mechanic charge her $500 to swap the timing chain, but he "stopped" because he found it needed a head gasket and had bent valves. Supposedly it runs, just poorly, as in 4 out of 6 cylinders poorly. All of this info is suspect because she is not "car people" and admits she barely knows where the gas goes. I don't know jack about the 4.0 or the cherokee, so I am wondering....

Questions:

#1 if this thing really did shuck a timing chain, is it an interference motor?
#2 if the head gasket is out of it, I should see water/froth in the oil, right?
#3 It seems I can get a junkyard motor dropped in for less than a grand, total [$300 labor, $600 motor.].
#4 What are the odds that I just put a head gasket in it, and have that work?
#5 If it runs, my gut feeling is that it can't be that forked up, can it? Supposedly it is driveable, just not well..
#6 If I do have bent valves and stuff, is it likely that I could get away with putting a head on it, or should I skip directly to the junkyard motor?
barrysuperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2006, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 48015
first of all you dont know what your getting with a junk yard motor...but chances are if this thing raped a timeing chain...its probably been neglected...thats not the kind of thing that just happens all the sudden, usually they get loose then start slip then break.

Get a head rebuilt, swap it onto the current engine and be done with it. Probably your cheapest opition, and most likely best.

and for $500, the price is right...id buy it. But it depends on your mechinal ability.

This kind of post is better suited for jeeps unlimited by the way.

Keep on jeepin' tho.
B3nMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2006, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 50242
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3nMJ
...its probably been neglected...thats not the kind of thing that just happens all the sudden, usually they get loose then start slip then break.
and for $500, the price is right...id buy it. But it depends on your mechinal ability.
Yeah, I personally know 4 people (5 counting myself) with over 250,000 miles on the 4.0 engine. They don't "just blow up". (not in under 300,000 miles at least)

That being said, if the rest of the jeep is solid, then $500 plus the cost of an entirely new engine, is still a fair deal. And you Probably will not have to replace the entire engine. ... Hell, if it has the D44 rear axle, you could sell THAT alone for almost $500.
Fozzy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2006, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 50242
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysuperhawk
#3 It seems I can get a junkyard motor dropped in for less than a grand, total [$300 labor, $600 motor.].
#4 What are the odds that I just put a head gasket in it, and have that work?
#6 If I do have bent valves and stuff, is it likely that I could get away with putting a head on it, or should I skip directly to the junkyard motor?
#3) Better the Devil you know... Spending $900 on the engine that you have will probably be much more productive than getting a whole new set of isues from a junkyard.

#4) Probably pretty good. - if there are actually no bent valves

#6) See 3 & 4 above. But if you find bent valves, remember that something bent them. - Meaning... replace the cam and lifters along with the pushrods and heads.
Fozzy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2006, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 39184
were do you live? i'll buy it for 350 bucks if its close
WA-HCRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in