parking permit and no top - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2006, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 33498
parking permit and no top

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I should protect my $175.00 parking permit when I have the top off of my Jeep?

I thought about forming a small box and tig welding it up, but I don't know how I would securely fix it to the vehicle without using something retarted like a cable or chain.

I thought about possibly using epoxy, but it expires in August, at which point I would need to epoxy a new parking pass.

The permit is made of plastic and is intended to hang from the rear view mirror. It's dimensions are about 3"x5".

Any ideas?
wiggamoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 33720
Tape it to your windsheild in the lower left hand corner...
nforney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9991
I've complained about this very same thing. My parks district told me that because my name is file they will re-issue me one if it gets stolen. The hardest part is remembering to take it out the windshield so it doesn't blow away. I kind of like the idea above?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MrWillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2006, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 39371
Send a message via AIM to currupt4130
Maybe glue it on with some of the stuff they use for rear view mirrors? You can get it off with paint thinner later on.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 70002
most places that issue permits (Virginia Tech in my case) have a type for convertibles that is usually in sticker form. Call the issuer of the permit and ask for a convertible form, some people forget that jeeps can go topless.
VTechTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 291
what we used to do is make a copy of it and use that. or ask for one for a motor cycle and they are usaly stickers
Old 04-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 33498
Yeah, I'll give IUPUI a call on Monday and see what they say. I think a sticker would be my best bet. I know they have stickers for the motorcycles, but I'll be surprised if they have them for convertibles. I know that I would get towed if I made a copy because IUPUI parking services are a bunch of bastards who would assume that I made a copy of someone else's permit. I'll give them a call on Monday, if they don't have anything then I'll probably go with currupt4130's idea. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2006, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11973
get some acitate and attatch the permit to that and then stick that to the windshield. It won't keep it from being stolen but it will keep it dry.
Murfman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8244
At my old university, I only drove my Jeep to campus a couple weeks a year, and I had a hang-tag for my other vehicles. When I talked to parking services about this same dilemma, they would write me a two-week temporary pass (paper hang-tag) that I just taped to the inside of my window. It had my license plate written on it, so it wouldn't be of much use to someone if they swiped it, and I never had a problem. They told me that if someone did swipe it, to just come back in and they'd write me another one. This was done no-charge, and was the same thing that they would do if you had bought a sticker, and then had to drive something else temporarily. Good luck.
Muddy_Jeep_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 63836
Here, I've seen them epoxied to the side of a padlock which is then locked over the rear view mirror stem.
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 33498
Yeah, thanks for the idea muddy_jeep_guy. I'll talk to parking services, but I don't think a temp pass will work b/c once it gets nicer I will be driving it through all of the summer semester into the fall semester. I hope they have a sticker that I can expoxy to the windshield. If not I will try wilson's idea by expoying the permit to a lock, then attaching the lock to the mirror stem.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 38562
Send a message via AIM to Schmozilla
I took a piece of 20 gauge steel and cut it to fit the hang tag... then used gorilla glue to stick the tag too it... then I punched 2 holes where the slit that allows to to slip of the rear view is and used a metal ehaust "zip tie" to hold it on...It was never stolen again.
Schmozilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 01:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 12429
I used a sticker one just exchange your hanging one.

Or just keep your hanging one locked, and if you get a ticket (not sure how stict they are) present it and say it blew into floor since you have an open vehicle. If this happens daily obviously it wont work but I normaly never even put mine up heh..
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 09:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 66647
Have not had mine stolen yet but then again I hardly put mine in the window and for the past 2 years have not had any issues at all.

But Schomozilla has a great idea. He should get it down to lookin good and market that. Little things like that sell.

Maybe instead of glue you use a little hing to fold a piece of metel with plexy glass in it over the pass and latch to a piece that locks it to your mirror or whatever you hang it off. It would take a lot of work to get the pass (Possibly destroying the pass) and people would notice the activity.

Last edited by KiGrind; 04-03-2006 at 09:59 AM.
KiGrind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 47268
Send a message via AIM to Joker2669 Send a message via MSN to Joker2669 Send a message via Yahoo to Joker2669
I like wilsons idea, combind with plexiglassing it

'95 XJ - current trail rig, future tow rig) 33X12.5 SS'ers on 4.5RE Superflex, no sway, TNT Front Bumper, Cast Iron Rear
'87 Sami Stock (want to run 35's on a lift - future Trail Rig)
Joker2669 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 06:56 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 33498
Yeah, my first idea was similar to schomzilla's, but I just found out that IUPUI offers sticker passes. I think they're simply window cling, so I don't know how well that will hold up, but I guess I'll find out.

IUPUI parking services are a bunch of wanna be security guards whom drive around in their prius' and look at damn near every car on campus. If you don't have your permit you get towed, no questions asked.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 29636
Send a message via Yahoo to butch6924
Those window cling stickers should do the job. Is theft a big problem? At MU, unless you left cash in plain sight with the window's down/doors off, noone would mess with your car. I don't know of anyone that got a parking pass stolen on campus. But like I said that was a different school.
butch6924 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 12:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
In college, my roomates (CJ and YJ) stuck the sticker to an al plate and padlocked to the bottle opener on the back corner (UC Davis)

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in