Leaf Spring U-bolt question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6426
Leaf Spring U-bolt question

When mounting the axle to the springs, I know it's most common to run the u-bolts around the axle tube, up to a retainer plate. THe bolts run parallel to the frame & for a spring over application, when looking from the side, you see ' U '

Are there any problems / drawbacks (besides the bolts hanging low) to use 'square' cornered u-bolts and run the bolt over the springs then using a plate (i.e. what comes with the late 70's Fords then) under the axle to connect up? Looking from the front in this case is where you see the upside-down,square U.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13889
No.

When I ran a sprung under lift configuration I used square bolts and ubolt plates from a dodge. This allowed me to keep the ends of the ubolts away from the rocks. When I swirched over to a sprung over suspension I used standard ubolts and fashioned my own plates for the top of the spring packs. The goal, as always, is to have maximum clearance under the axle tubes and not to have stuff hanging down that will get buggered by the rocks.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 62
look under the back of just about any full size truck and this is exactly what you will find.

Just curious it sounds like your thinking of going to this style of U-bolt on a SOA?
NE-RokToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 6426
I am looking at doing this SOA on the front. I'm running short on time and leaving this configuration will be quicker. I know there's more scrapping / hitting to happen here, I'll deal with that for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in