Dana 35 axle question? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 70522
Dana 35 axle question?

I've got an 86 jeep XJ with an 8" skyjacker lift and running 35's. i just purchased it and am going through it, and found the rear axle snapped in two in the pass. rear. the 35 has a locker in it *not sure what brand* and i can't seem to figure out how to get the pinion out of the locker, there seems to be a clip or set screw holding the pinion shaft in, but i'm not sure how to get it out. can you all help? thanks,

Dan

dan_shoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 51571
Your locker looks like a Lockrite or a Aussie locker, whats refered to as a lunchbox locker. Try looking at the install directions for a Lockrite locker and just reverse the install maybe this will help you out, of course b/c your axle shaft is snapped in two it may be more work than that but its a start.
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2006, 06:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 70257
looks like a lockrite.

you are mixing up the terms for what you are describing. the pinion is the smaller gear. you don't have to touch that....

you need to get a broken peice of axle out of the carrier? is that why you want the crosspin out? the thing you can't describe is a split pin. tap it out with a punch, then the crosspin will come out. depending on gear ratio, the crosspin may not come out without removing the ring gear from the carrier.

BUT - with just a broken axle - WHY?

just pull the broken axle and stick a new one in....no need to get into the carrier. an '86 should not have c-clips, just pull the axle out after removing the brake drum and bearing retainer.

edit: the teeth on the locker look fawked. there are chunks of shit in there.

Last edited by crazycuda; 04-02-2006 at 06:02 AM. Reason: more info
crazycuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 52220
you may want to get very well aquainted with the insides of that axle. with that axle, those tires, and that locker, you're going to be in there ALOT. might be best to start looking at upgrades. do some searches for the ford 8.8 axle-there is a ton of info out there with a little search.
saminwy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 70522
well, i need to take the locker apart, there is about 1-2 inches of the old axle in there still, and to check the locker itself and see if it's FUBARed. i just want to replace with the same since i have a parts jeep and have an axle for free.

So, is the split pin threaded or pressed in? i would assume that it's pressed but i'm new to the internals of axles.

This is what is left of the old axle.

Thanks for your help

Dan

dan_shoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 70257
if you are taking it out anyway, save the pin work for the bench.

pull your axles, remove the carrier bearing caps, carrier, and do it out of the rig. (this won't mess up the ring and pinion set-up) make sure the carrier bearing caps go back on the same way...they are marked from factory.

most of the pins that hold the crosspin in are just plain 'ol split pins, some are threaded in, but you can tell cause it obviously will have a bolt head.
crazycuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 17311
I hate to be such a whiner, but please, resize those pictures.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 44294
1. remove the u-bolts, brake lines, ebrake cables, driveshaft, etc.
2. pull the 35 out from under your vehicle.
3. visit your local junk yard to find a 44 or 8.8
awake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Quote:
Originally Posted by awake
1. remove the u-bolts, brake lines, ebrake cables, driveshaft, etc.
2. pull the 35 out from under your vehicle.
3. visit your local junk yard to find a 44 or 8.8
x2

And learn to resize pics while you wait for your junk yard to call you back and tell you what they have
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 41470
Get a Ford 8.8! Best bang for the buck. Only 400 bucks for brand new surplus Ford 8.8 which is 130% stronger than weak Dana 35. Get it from Ariel Performance in Oklahoma. Also This brand new 8.8 comes with disc brake and it is a bolt on. All you need to chop off spring perch and weld the spring perch in the right place then you are done! Many websites covering the 8.8 installation.
yjsquareyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 29636
Send a message via Yahoo to butch6924
I second the recommendation to pull the carrier out. Since you don't have c-clips, and you've already got the passenger side shaft out, pull the driver's side and put it on a bench where you can see it. Then, use a small scredriver or puch to drive that pin out that holds the cross shaft in the carrier.

After that, take a close look at the teeth on that locker. They look toast to me.

For what you're going to pay for a replacement locker, you're 2/3 of the way to an 8.8. That'll give you much stronger shafts, better brakes, and if you look hard enough, you could find one with a LS. You can rebuild the LS for around $50 much tighter which will give you plenty of traction and it'll drive 100x better than that lock right.

Honestly, Lockrights are really hard on shafts and D35 shafts are notoriously weak to begin with. if you keep that thing in there, you're going to be swapping a lot of shafts. It really doesn't even matter if you're wheeling it. Those things are just plain nasty on shafts.
butch6924 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in