Terrible clanging and temporary shift pattern change in SR4 tranny?! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 70570
Terrible clanging and temporary shift pattern change in SR4 tranny?!

I feel like with a heading like that you will be as confused as I am... but I figured I would try to explain the insanity that is coming out of my new-to-me 1980 CJ7. Took it out today for a spin to see what needed attention, and it would appear that the SR4 transmission does need a bit of help. This story has 2 parts:

PART 1: Stick started very choosy about downshifting even with double clutching... Once upshifting past 2nd gear, I am unable to consistently downshift to 2nd and 75% of the time I have to pull over and spend 2 minutes wiggling and convincing the stick to 1st or 2nd gear. Not only that, this problem evolved to a COMPLETE change in shift pattern. I know this is not technically possible, but 3 or 4 times starting from a standstill every gear position only engaged 1st gear except for reverse which is actually a locked gear that only bogs down the engine (very scared to end up here while the tires are turning...).

PART 2: After noting all of these issues, I decided to check out the 4WD. popped it into 4LO, locked the hubs and did some circles to see how they hold. Everything looked fine until I popped it OUT of 4LO and now there is an obnoxious grinding and clanging sound coming from the tranny/gearbox area at ALL times (even with both tranny and tcase in Neutral)! Am I correct in assuming that this is probably associated with the grumpy SR4 or should I be concerned about the D300 as well? The jeep has 74,000 miles on it I wouldn't have expected D300 issues.

I have a spare SR4 tranny that came with the jeep that I am going to start looking at tomorrow and maybe swap it in there to see if it is any better. Any other brilliant ideas on what I should be checking out? I noticed a small oil leak between the block and the tranny if that helps at all.

Thanks for any input you may have!!!

- Aaron
astone811 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 38562
Send a message via AIM to Schmozilla
sounds to me like you have a shift fork problem... open her up and take a look...
Schmozilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 14599
Both SR4s should be thrown away. They are one of the worst transmissions ever put in Jeeps. Don't waste your time with them. Go to Novak Adapters website and read about trannys and swaps. For about $600 in parts(junkyard granny tranny and adapter) you can have a bulletproof transmission. #2 Jeeps with gear driven transfer cases (D300, D18 and 20)should never be driven on dry pavement in 4 wheel drive. The driveline binds up and eventually something gives. On low traction surfaces the tires slip. On dry pavement a tire might chirp or skid or something breaks. When you change your tranny you can check the t-case for damage.
jeepnuts99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2006, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 70570
Thanks!

Thanks so much for the input. I am looking for a T176 or an SM465 to replace the SR4 which I am hearing from a number of people is worthless. I found an SM465 with a D300 adapter for $350... not sure if that is reasonable but it is relatively local... Would probably need to ship. I also found a T176 for $150 that is very local. I think that a 176 will be strong enough for my uses as I will be running 32s and driving mostly on the road until I have everything tuned in.

When I was checking the 4wd I was on dirt, I appreciate the reminder though.

Time to start taking things apart!

Thanks again,

- Aaron
astone811 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 17311
I want to Thank you for a well thought out, well planned, Gramatically correct, punctuated post. Those don't show up here anymore.

Granted I think it's in the wrong forum, I will let it slide.

That being said, Yes get rid of the SR4 it's about as worthless as the T5 I have (and need to get rid of)
Old 04-03-2006, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 14599
Keep in mind you will need to adapt the tranny to the bellhousing as well as the t-case . The SM 465 requires machine work and an additional kit (special bearing retainer, pilot bushing, etc,) for the AMC bell housing. I reiterate...go to Novak-adapt.com and read about transmissions and adapters so you don't paint yourself into a corner. I put a Ford T18 in my '83 CJ7 (replaced a T4)with a Novak adapter. It was a bolt-in except for drilling and tapping 1 hole in the belhousing. No driveshaft mods req'd.
jeepnuts99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gov

Member # 69973
Take a quick look on the top of the tranny where the shifter connects to the shift lever. There's a tendency for the nut at the back to come loose and the shifter will just twist around. A lot of times, the 50 cent plastic bushing works out of position, also. This still doesn't make up for the pitfalls of the tranny, but it mught get you off the side of the road. (At least that's what my wife told me after she was stranded for the second time and I changed the drive train!)
Gov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in