Cage and full doors in a YJ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 24496
Cage and full doors in a YJ

Alright, I'm thinking about the cage I want to build in my YJ project. After looking at it for a while today I was thinking about how to make the A-pillars fit nicely into the pocket that's between the dash and the full doors that are on it now. I want to be able to retain the full doors, since that's what I have for doors for the rig (no soft doors), and winter gets nasty here.

The problem I see is that there doesn't seem to be much room for 1.5 or 1.75" tube to fit into that pocket while still be able to use the window crank on a full door. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to make this work? Does anyone offer "shorty" handles for the window cranks that would provide more room to work with in that "pocket", or do you have an ingenious way you got around this little issue?
NotMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 04:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 40587
Cage

Haven't seen it done yet, there should be more important things you are worrying about when building a cage then door handles. Check the poison spyder cages, they are flat by the doors. Or you can pop the door open 3 inches and crank it like the rest of the people here.
The Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2006, 07:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 24496
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Sheep
Haven't seen it done yet, there should be more important things you are worrying about when building a cage then door handles. Check the poison spyder cages, they are flat by the doors. Or you can pop the door open 3 inches and crank it like the rest of the people here.
See! I knew there was an obvious solution I was overlooking... open the door a bit and roll down the window.

Now I kind of feel like a jackass for even posting this, but I honestly did not even think about that...
NotMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2006, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 38562
Send a message via AIM to Schmozilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Sheep
I havent run my full doors in 2 years or so... but When I did I just opened the door to roll them up or down...
Schmozilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 19016
Yup, gotta love the looks people give when I roll into the drive-thru at the bank and have to stop a few feet in front of the machine to open the door and crank the window down.
DevinB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6971
Or you could take the window crank off, tack a nut in its place and use one of them ratcheting box end wrenches thats reversible. Shouldn't take much to fasten it on there semi permanently, then just ratchet the window down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:flipoff2:

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
kwrangln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 54836
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwrangln
Or you could take the window crank off, tack a nut in its place and use one of them ratcheting box end wrenches thats reversible. Shouldn't take much to fasten it on there semi permanently, then just ratchet the window down.
SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN
ACHASE6002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 54940
I just open the door on my full doors to roll down the windows, of course I like the wrench idea. I have a diagonal running between the A-B pillars, which meant I had to remove the map pocket on the door. Its a tight fit for everything with 1.75 tube.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 40587
Cage

I wasn't trying to be a smartass, but theres always a scenario of compromise when building a cage. I run 2" dom for my cage , no cutting of anything and i have no issues closing the doors. Theres pics of it in the "Suspenions Ride Height/PICS" Thread if you are interested, Id just leave it personally. The only time i run Hard doors is when its too cold for the soft doors/no doors to keep the heat in, and then i don't want the window down anyways. Plus if you ever need to crack the window you can re-install the handle so that you can crack it about 3 inches or so without even opening the door.
The Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in