Tj front D-shaft - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2006, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 48015
Tj front D-shaft

hey guys,

My front drive shaft on my 97tj has some play in it, and it seems to click or pop at low speed, im sure it does it at higher speeds i just cant hear it then due to road noise and what have you. It mostly happens when im turning i notice mostly, or rolling slowly over large bumps.

im hopeing this is as simple as ujoints but i wouldnt be suprised if my transfer cases front output needs to be looked at. Also my tcase is fairly noises in 4low, normal? its whiney, but not like "im gonna blow up and probably take you with me..." kind of noisey, more just a bit whiney.

Thanks for your imput, flames, and what have you!
B3nMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 24350
It's hard to give you good information without really hearing it, but a t-case is typically whiney when in 4lo.

as far as the DS, I'd pull it, check the joints/cv, and see if the slip is still tight. while it's still attached push up and down on the slip section of the shaft, does it wobble? While the DS is out, check the front output if you're worried.
lugie_98tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2006, 05:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21678
Clicking and popping while you're turning is almost certainly a u-joint that needs replacing. Check both of your u-joints near your front wheels.

It's common for TJ front driveshafts CV joints to loose their grease and need rebuilding, but that usually shows up like a case of "angry sparrows" rather than clicking and popping.
Jeepin_Jeffster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in