Will a D44 hold up to a 37" BFG Krawler? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 56678
Send a message via AIM to YellowJeep39157
Will a D44 hold up to a 37" BFG Krawler?

I was wondering would D44 front and rear will be almost bombproof? The front would have HPD44 with CTM and Alloy Shafts and Rear will have a Rubi D44 with Alloy Shafts. Or will I need a 1550 SunRay Axle? or 609 SunRay? Most likely, I am going to put a Motor swap in my Jeep. A RamJet350 might be possible after college.

Thanks
Anthony
YellowJeep39157 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2006, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 24099
Send a message via AIM to ZJim
I think the longevity of any part depends on the driver and weight of the rig. You might be okay if you take it easy on the stoopid pedal, but with the motor swap you might be pushing it especially if you're heavy on the throttle.
ZJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2006, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 24806
It's pushing it for a d44, My friend ran d44's with 38's with ctm's and cromo shafts for years did fine, even with a strong 350 pushing it. On the same note though I've broken stock shafts in the snow with 35's.
So a big part of it is how you drive.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 58006
That sounds like all the right parts to make a 44 as strong as possible. I think it would be fine. However if your going to be hard on it (lots of throttle lots of wheel hop) then it will break but most anything will given those conditions.
0H THREE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 40704
I have been running 39" Iroks on my D44 for 7 months now without an issue. The Warn hubs have been my fuse which is a good thing. I run 4340s, CTMs and a Detroit. I have been known to get on the throttle but only have a 4.0.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Free Pic Hosting & Blogs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Premier Web Hosting Solutions
kris1351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 58828
The front 44 will be fine as long as you outfit it with some chromo axles (I got mine from foothills for about 500), and I'm running a 3/4 ton hp44. I broke my hp44 the first time I took it out wheeling..(on 37 irokz). So its really about your driving ability. I would personally just go ahead and put a 60 in the rear and chromo the 44 in the front, and you'll be good to go, for now. Good luck

If anyone is ever riding at Morris Mountain ORV, let me know, I'm always good for a Sunday ride.
BLT94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 67642
2 Weeks ago I would have said you're waisting your money on ANY 44, no matter the shafts with 37" tires. Last week on a run to Barnwell Rec in TX my friend in and oversized TJ with a 4.6L Vortec from Golen and 37" IROKs locked abused the HELL out of his axles and the only think that cracked was my "Im an idiot, you were right" smile...
Old 08-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 70068
Just for comparison, I'm running 36" Iroks on Rubi 44s with chromo shafts front and rear. It's on been a couple of runs, but I also have a pretty light foot, but we run some more difficult trails around so we'll see soon enough. First real test will be in Clayton in October.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 16052
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1351
I have been running 39" Iroks on my D44 for 7 months now without an issue. The Warn hubs have been my fuse which is a good thing. I run 4340s, CTMs and a Detroit. I have been known to get on the throttle but only have a 4.0.
Same here, the rear 44 will be the problem even with alloys, stick something back there with a bigger ring and pinon and 35 splines.
papastoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2485
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1351
Same results for me. 39.5 Iroks for ~2 yrs with only 1 broken hub
Ratz Racing #4821

Big thanks to the vendors that have helped us out!
Goatbuilt, South Bay Driveline, East Coast Gear Supply, Rugged Radios, 150tunes.com, Pro Comp, Raceline Wheels, FOX Shocks
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 66257
its nice to hear all these good things about the front 44. although im a little nervous evrytime i go out. ive been keeping the arb unlocked. i have a custom dana44 with hp rockcrusher center section.ive broken 2 outer stubs and one inner chromoly axle. i did find that the axles i got were a low grade moly and i now have the good 4340 ones with ctms in them.im running 37"mtrs. i can say that when they broke i was to the floor on steep hills.i dont think i could ever brake it when im rockcrawling though.depends on what you are doing
raceshop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 05:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 42791
I would upgrade top something stronger. I upgraded my 44 with ctm's and warn shafts, running 38'' boggers the axles and ctm's held up but the detroit didn't twice. That was after 2 or 3 sets of hubs. I would rather break something cheaper then a detroit.
cj8berry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 06:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 40704
I have spun the spline on one stub shaft, busted an axle seal and busted one Warn hub this year. That was all in the same trail where I was full throttle and the front was in the air and suddenly went hunder the obstacle I was trying to get over. One of those final trail, final day things in Hot Springs. The 8.8 in the rear has held up extremely well with stocks and I recently upgraded to Alloys back there also. Over time it is going to wear out and begin to break, but everything will eventually break no matter what you have. I am pretty happy, but am already looking at going 60s in my rig.

- Free Pic Hosting & Blogs

- Premier Web Hosting Solutions
kris1351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 1636
A friend of mine ran D44s last season with a 350 and 36s. The rear was an XJ 44 with stock shafts and a detroit and never broke. The front was a shortened GM 44 with a detroit and alloy shafts, it broke every trip out. Even if he was easy on it. Mostly alloy shafts/joints, but he also broke a full-case detroit.
chris demartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 06:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 5960
Send a message via Yahoo to LAME
My buddy busted a detroit, & hub with 37 Krawlers on his YJ out in Moab. The CTM's and Superiors held up fine. (HP D44)

I have broke both side gears in the Detroit, twisted Warn outers, blown out hubs, and busted knuckles with 38" SX's on a 3300# rig with a 4.3. FWIW.

Like H8 was saying years ago, ditch the hubs.
Rock Rash Racing #613, Trail Tampon Spotter
LAME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 14067
That POS stock Rubi air locker will NOT hold up the 37;s.. those weak ass things are notorious for stripping out the gears in the limited slip portion of the locker which basically fubars the whole thing

IF you put in a Super 44 kit with the 33 spline axles and an arb or detroit, you should be fine
Old 08-31-2006, 10:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 70267
Bombproof?

No.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 74368
I would say not a rubi 44 but maybe scott or gm 44. The rubi has a really small inner c's and wall thickness is nothing more than a dana 30..
project_mud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2006, 10:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 498
Send a message via ICQ to WheelingPiazza Send a message via AIM to WheelingPiazza
It all depends on how you drive.

I ran a set of dana 44s with 36sx and a 360 and I wasnt nice to them. The rear never broke,(bent the housing) The front only started breaking shafts when I went to 134:1.

I switched to a 14 bolt rear and 4340s and ctms in the front when I went to 38s. I broke a stub on fordyce not to long ago. If you go chromo axles in a 44, go warn or dont do it at all. The yukons are hit or miss on quality.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 24099
Send a message via AIM to ZJim
I got an advertisement in my email this morning from 4WP. They're selling Dana 44s for what seems like a decent price, but you have to reuse the stock knuckles from your 30. Is this a huge issue to anybody else?

Sorry to hijack the thread, I was just curious
ZJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2006, 04:28 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 38419
we run a front hp 44 on our yj. Has a very healthy 4litre and 5.13. With 38x12.5 tsl's we broke one stock u joint. After upgrading to moser shafts and longfields we have not had any problems. we run all over, rocks trails w/e. I would say build it and it will be good. for refrence it has a detroit with warn hubs also.
whitexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2006, 04:34 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 51580
Quote:
Originally Posted by papastoy
Same here, the rear 44 will be the problem even with alloys, stick something back there with a bigger ring and pinon and 35 splines.
I won't believe that for a second. I wheel with a guy in a TJ, 4.0 with mods, 4:1 blah blah, and Super 44 in the rear with 39.5 Iroks. He by no means has a light foot, and have countless times seen full-throttle rev-limiter tapping assaults on rocks and water falls and it has taken all this abuse for awhile now. Not to mention the other handful of guys with 44 rears in their TJs with 36's-38's and no breakage.
MILLER RACING #26

3-time Dirt Riot Modified/Unlimited Trail Class National Champion

ADS SHOCKS * ARTEC INDUSTRIES * SOUTHWEST FASTENER * HOWE PERFORMANCE * RUGGED RADIOS * JM RIGGING SUPPLY * SDHQ * BLACK N BLUE RACING * RIGID INDUSTRIES * RACELINE WHEELS * FLY-N-HI * CAMPBELL ENTERPRISES
theydontstop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2006, 04:46 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 26806
Send a message via AIM to heepr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJim
I got an advertisement in my email this morning from 4WP. They're selling Dana 44s for what seems like a decent price, but you have to reuse the stock knuckles from your 30. Is this a huge issue to anybody else?

Sorry to hijack the thread, I was just curious
sounds retarded to me.. The only benfit you are gaining in that case is the ring gear and tiny bit of shaft diameter.. So unless you are gung ho about running dana 30 outers and shitty unit bearing hubs, I wouldn't even think about it.. Take the time to swap in a good used axle with the parts you actually want in it for less money..

But in line with the thread, I run 37" iroks on my locked d44 with alloys and superjoints and haven't broken anything since upgrading the shafts and joints. Hope the trend continues...

Last edited by heepr; 08-31-2006 at 04:48 PM.
heepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2006, 05:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 43646
Quote:
The rubi has a really small inner c's and wall thickness is nothing more than a dana 30..

I was under the impression that the newer Dana 30 front, and Rubicon abortion 44 front axle had the same size ball joints, Inner C's, and Joints as the old style 44's....

Can anyone post some findings on this?
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2006, 07:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
K^2

Member # 49704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist
I was under the impression that the newer Dana 30 front, and Rubicon abortion 44 front axle had the same size ball joints, Inner C's, and Joints as the old style 44's....

Can anyone post some findings on this?

it does

Benz Buggy

Slinky Blue Ballz

kirbyiv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in