70's Dodge D60 rear under a TJ. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2006, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 78860
Question 70's Dodge D60 rear under a TJ.

I've picked up this old Dana 60 rearend out of an early 70s fullsize Dodge truck. It's wide as hell and has the 8 lug pattern.

I was wondering how I would be able to get this to fit under my TJ? Anyone know of a good place to get some custom shafts on the 5 on 4.5 pattern made? Or anything else I should consider with this swap?

Thanks,
Evan
evanjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2006, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 42619
Send a message via AIM to ne14jpn
I am nearly positive that is a full float rear. you cant get 5on4.5 shafts for it. it utilizes a hub design that the wheel bolts to. the shafts dont have studs. just get a 60 front and 8 lug wheels.
Miller Motorsports #4421

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ne14jpn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2006, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 78860
Would it be possible to keep the 8 lug in the rear, and 4 on 4.5 up front for a while (until I can get another 60?) Would I be able to find wheels for it?

Also, is this a good swap for a TJ? I think the smallest wheel I can get for this is a 16, do those look good on 35 boggers? Would it look out of proportion? (I have 15 inch wheels on 33 boggers now)

- Evan

Last edited by evanjm; 10-24-2006 at 10:49 PM.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 39371
Send a message via AIM to currupt4130
You're gonna look mighty funny driving down the road with a 65" wide rear and 60" front, not to mention turning will suck. If you're gonna swap axles, swap both front and rear at the same time. And even here I'll say it, DO YOUR RESEARCH. We aren't here to talk you through every step of this. A dana 60 is a big axle, bordering on major overkill for 35" tires. If you don't plan to go bigger than 35's ever, look into an 8.8 or something.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 78860
I'm planning on trimming it down to match the width of the front. I've done a few swaps before with waggy 44s on a ZJ and an XJ. Never had to trim any of them down. I would like to keep the front end since I've put a good deal of work into it.

I'm not asking for a walkthrough of swapping this D60 under my TJ. I don't need that at all---what I do need is someone who knows a bit about an 8 lug D60 out of a 70s Dodge truck.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 69441
Is this question asked ever week? Buy some big bearing 9" housing ends, cut to length, weld on ends, order shafts, and done.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 39371
Send a message via AIM to currupt4130
Sorry, you came on like a huge newbie.

Anyway, a dana 60 is a dana 60. It's either full or semi float, most likely full in your case. It also has either 16, 30, or 35 spline axles (35 is possible if its semi float). What else do you need to know? A 60 is a 60 regardless of what it came out of. They all use the same gears, bearings, etc for the center chunk, and some vary on the bearings on the full float spindles (rarely you get a spindle thats tapered down). Really, theres not much to know about a 60, just specific shaft lengths
Old 10-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 78860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99grandtj
Buy some big bearing 9" housing ends, cut to length, weld on ends, order shafts, and done.
You know of a good place to order some custom shafts for this thing? With the 9" housing ends, would I be able to switch the lug pattern over?

- Evan
Old 10-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 69090
My two cents-

You will want it a couple inches narrower than the front. The problem with cutting it down is it weighs a freaking ton and the new ends have to be welded on correctly. You don't want Joe Bob next door trying to weld the ends on! Take it to a pro who has done it before. If there is not one in town, you will spend a fortune shipping it to a shop.

If you can find someone to weld it locally, I would use the big bearing Torino ends 99grandtj mentioned. This will let you use Explorer disc brakes. I like Moser axles but every one has a favorite brand. They will make them any width/lug pattern you want. This way you also get to keep your current wheels. T
T. Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 69441
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjm
You know of a good place to order some custom shafts for this thing? With the 9" housing ends, would I be able to switch the lug pattern over?

- Evan
You can order the shafts with any lug pattern you want. There are a bunch of companies that make these but here is one

http://www.moserengineering.com/Page...usingends.html

http://www.moserengineering.com/Page...stomalloy.html
Old 10-28-2006, 10:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 79038
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Schmidt
My two cents-

You will want it a couple inches narrower than the front. The problem with cutting it down is it weighs a freaking ton and the new ends have to be welded on correctly. You don't want Joe Bob next door trying to weld the ends on! Take it to a pro who has done it before. If there is not one in town, you will spend a fortune shipping it to a shop.

If you can find someone to weld it locally, I would use the big bearing Torino ends 99grandtj mentioned. This will let you use Explorer disc brakes. I like Moser axles but every one has a favorite brand. They will make them any width/lug pattern you want. This way you also get to keep your current wheels. T
Contact Eric at EMS Offroad or Dave at Full Circle 4x4
Sahara01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 39627
If you use two different lug patterns, what pattern are you going to use for the spare??? hope you dont get a flat!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in