my AX-15 is dying. now what? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 81371
my AX-15 is dying. now what?

ok guys, i am posting this here as my first post because i have asked the same question on jeepforum.com and jeepsunlimited.com and have yet to get the answer i need.

basically, after 208,XXX miles, my poor AX-15 is dying. this is on my DD/weekend wheeler and i don't have the time to take it out to have it rebuilt so that leaves me with one option - buy another tranny.

i know that the AX-15 went into the cherokee xj, the comanches mj and the wrangler yj with the 4.0/4.2L engine beginning halfway through 1989. in 1994 though, the clutch slave cylinder was moved to the outside of the bellhousing. i have been using www.car-part.com to search for an AX-15 in my area but i can't find one out of a yj for cheap. i really want to know what year model xj's, mj's, and yj's would bolt right up in my 1991? or what other options are out there. someone gave me the idea to just get a NV but is that really a better tranny?

what do you guys think i should do from your experience? get an AX-15 or NV. what years will work? thanks in advance
iking87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 67781
Don't spend the money on a AX-15.for the price that I had to pay to get it rebuilt I could have swaped in a NV3550 out of a TJ it will bolt right in.Only problem is you have to come up with a way to rewire the backup lights because they swaped to female connectors on the plug. The tranny comes out of a Tj 2001 and up

hope this helps

Last edited by ksejeeper; 10-25-2006 at 06:40 PM.
ksejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 49547
Send a message via AIM to wranglerboy93
The stock 231 still bolts up to it right with the NV3550? They didnt change anything there?
wranglerboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 41941
I got a brand new AX-15 from Tapco International when mine went out. It was cheaper, even with shipping, than a rebuild. The one I got was slightly different from the one I took out. The front cover was different so I just swapped them. The shaft on the new one was bigger than the old one and I had to search for a pilot bearing/bushing but found that a bushing from a 79 FSJ with a 360 fit the inside and outside diameters I needed. The casting was a little different too. I had to grind some of the metal off in some areas for the transfer case shifter to bolt up. It all worked out in the end and it works like a champ.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 47826
NV3550 or NV4500 if you had enough fedia. stay away from the nsg 6 speed they dont have a removeable bellhousing

nv 3550 bolt in, pilot bushing diameters differ from 1999.5 + i believe have a larger bearing but call a swap shop and theyll probably have the bearing/oil impregnated bronze for your crank/ trans input shaft diameters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crusty1007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 81371
so the NV 3550 will bolt right up? on the stock skid and to the engine?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 38563
I think the tcase clocking is between the XJ and TJ trannies. Fifteen or twenty-three degrees IIRC. Nothing a drill won't fix just giving you a heads up.

I think the NV3550 in the 2000 model year had many problems so I would stay away. I want to say it had a noise issue (more than just the typical grumble in neutral and a problem popping out of one of the gears)
Old 10-26-2006, 09:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 81371
thanks a lot. does anyone know where to get one for a good price?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 22064
The AX15 was also available in 93-2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 4X4 pickups. The clocking was a little different, but, as has been stated previously, it can be fixed with a drill.

Greg
Greg55_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 81371
are there any writeups about this that might help out?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 51449
Try http://www.car-parts.com.
Tfritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 81371
yeah, i have been searching www.car-parts.com i was just asking if anyone knew anything else that might be cheaper?
Old 10-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 22064
This info comes from Jpman94 over at www.jeepforum.com. He highlights some differences between the Jeep AX15 and the 4WD Dodge Dakota version:

"I have a Dakota transmission in my Jeep. I want to say it was out of 99 or something like that. I can't remember. I found it on Ebay, and yes it was cheaper than one from a jeep. Don't ask me why, it's the same transmission.

The bell housing is removalable on the Dakota transmissions. I got mine without the bellhousing, the guy had the original that mated it to a V-8, but I didn't need that...

Once I got the transmission and then pulled my old one, I started comparing the two and looking for differences. I know, a little late to do that after I bought it, but I'm dumb like that... Everything was EXACTLY the same, input shaft size, spline count, output, transfer case shifter mount points, EVERYTHING, except.....

The 'clocking' of the transfer case mounting holes is different. The durango transfer case is clocked about 6-7 degrees LOWER! I thought long and hard about just making this work, but I sure didn't want to force it to fit and I didn't want to loose ground clearance.

So, after a lot of debating with my buddy helping me, we decided we would take a drill to my newly purchased transmission!!! We carefully made a template using the back of my old transmission and transferred the hole locations to the new one from the dakota. We then double and triple checked everything and then started to drill. While the ears that the holes are drilled into are the same on both transmissons, the hole locations are at opposite sides, (you just have to see one to understand that). So, there is room to drill the correct holes, but there is not much room for error. We started with small holes and worked our way up to the right size. When we were all done, the transfer case slid right on, in the correct location.

Other than that, the rest is better much a standard transmission install. The only other thing, is you will need to obviously use your shifter, as the dakota shifter isn't even close. Just unbolt it from your old tranny and bolt it to the new one."

I haven't done this but this is the straight skinny. Dakota transmissions are cheaper than Jeep ones.

Greg
Greg55_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2006, 08:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 11983
I would spend the time and money to get the nv4500 everything about your buildup and bigger this and that will always be hindered by the "Man I don't know if the tranny will handle a tire that size speech".

The tranny is a very big part of one of those things you don't ever want to break out in the middle of nowhere yet the first things people cut corners on.

moveaside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 81016
Quote:
Originally Posted by iking87
ok guys, i am posting this here as my first post because i have asked the same question on jeepforum.com and jeepsunlimited.com and have yet to get the answer i need.

basically, after 208,XXX miles, my poor AX-15 is dying. this is on my DD/weekend wheeler and i don't have the time to take it out to have it rebuilt so that leaves me with one option - buy another tranny.

i know that the AX-15 went into the cherokee xj, the comanches mj and the wrangler yj with the 4.0/4.2L engine beginning halfway through 1989. in 1994 though, the clutch slave cylinder was moved to the outside of the bellhousing. i have been using www.car-part.com to search for an AX-15 in my area but i can't find one out of a yj for cheap. i really want to know what year model xj's, mj's, and yj's would bolt right up in my 1991? or what other options are out there. someone gave me the idea to just get a NV but is that really a better tranny?

what do you guys think i should do from your experience? get an AX-15 or NV. what years will work? thanks in advance
I would personaly go with the ax-15 and i have an old one in my basement read to be rebuilt so that u wouldn't have to get yours sent off, u could just rebuilt it yourself and it is so much cheaper, i just finished the rebuilding the one in my 93 XJ! Its a 23 spline, but if u need any more info let me know!
XJKrawler88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2006, 04:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 81371
that's what i really want to do XJkrawler... i would like to rebuild it myself but i don't know how. i know that my syncros are what's giving out but thats about all i know. how much work and money goes into rebuilding one?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in