Teraflex Driveshaft - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 38820
Teraflex Driveshaft

Anybody else have any problems with the Teraflex CV driveshaft? I'm about ready to use mine for a boat anchor! When I put in my 3.5" lift I got a package deal on an Advance Adaptors SYE and this driveshaft for about $390.00 which I thought was a good deal. It was listed for a TJ and since I have a TJ drivetrain in my YJ I thought it would work just fine. Got it all installed and set it up with new spring perches for a Tcase angle of 5 degrees a driveshaft angle of 19 degrees and a pinion angle of 17 degrees(only 14 degrees on the CVs) and it vibrated like crazy! I did a search and everyone seems to agree that these can go up to 23 degrees no problem so I next took it to 2 different driveshaft shops to check for balance..no problems. I called Teraflex and asked them about it and they said they don't sell them for YJs so I was on my own...they did point out that had made hundreds of these with no problem so it must be something I did! So I start different combinations of lowering the Tcase and lowering the pinion angle using degree shims on the backside until I finally got it to run smoothly. It now sits with a tcase angle of 6 degrees a driveshaft angle of 16 degrees and a pinion angle of 15 degrees. As far as I'm concerned this is bullshit as it totally defeats the purpose of the SYE/CV driveshaft since I had to lower the tcase. Yes, I did check all u joints etc. and they are fine. Any ideas on why this driveshaft won't operate smoothly with angle over 10 degrees? Sorry to vent!
dc8dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
You're right, it doesn't make sense.

Maybe call Jesse at High angle and ask him? In my experience he's happy to chat with you for a few minutes and help a guy out.

In the end, of course, he got my business on a different d-shaft.

N6YBH
-

Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for sponsoring the 2017 Cantina For The Con!

"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2006, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 38820
Yeh, that would probably be a good idea. What gets me is we're not really really talking about that much of an angle here....I guess you get what you pay for!

Old 11-01-2006, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 43329
We have used many Teraflex driveshafts without problems, but like they said, they don't make a shaft particularly for a yj. We have found the yj shafts to be longer than a tj. Are you sure the shaft isn't too short? Most of the yj shafts tend to be like 17-19" static. Do you know the part# of the tera shaft you got?
Reuther Jeep, Inland Truck Parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Professional Jeep Geeks
636-939-5337

Proudly sponsoring RROCK Legends, Kyle McDaniel and Team Easy!
axleboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 38820
The part # is DSRT1475. I had actually thought that might have been the problem and after talking with them and finding out they weren't interested in any kind of swap I lengthed the shaft a half inch and had it rebalanced...no effect. This vibration seems directly related to the angle of CV section...I'm sure it would work great a zero angle!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 43329
ok, so that's like 14.75" shaft, even with you adding some to it, that seems pretty short. What's static driveline measurement center to center?

I'll assume your original supplier of the shaft has no interest in helping out?
Reuther Jeep, Inland Truck Parts

Professional Jeep Geeks
636-939-5337

Proudly sponsoring RROCK Legends, Kyle McDaniel and Team Easy!
axleboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 38820
Actually it's close to 16.5" center of u-joint to center of u-joint(just a guesstimate as it's on the rig now). In fact, with all the lowering of the trans. it's on the verge of becoming too long!

No, no recourses with the original vendor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in