locker vs spool - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 49141
locker vs spool

I'm going to a 14 bolt rear on my YJ. I do daily drive to work in back in the summer. so can I drive on the street with a spool how bad could it be right? Some guys say a detroit is tough on the road also kinda rough. i never drove on the street with one so i could use some input.
backwoods129 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3668
Aside from ANY kind of give whatsoever, I love driving and taking corners with my spool. To me, a spool is without a doubt the best kind of "locker" to install, simple and strong.
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 31780
yea if you dont mind cutting the life of your tires in half its great.

Dixon 4Wheelers
Build it, Break it,Fix it, Repeat!
88 mangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 49141
Is the locker going to affect tire wear also? I mean I understand the idea of a locker but when is a locker not locked. If it's going to make a ton of noise and wear the tires I'd rather just run the spool. With the weather here i really only drive it about four months of the year a couple times a week since I refuse to put a top (soft or Hard) on my jeep I think I defeats the purpose.
backwoods129 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods129
Is the locker going to affect tire wear also? I mean I understand the idea of a locker but when is a locker not locked. If it's going to make a ton of noise and wear the tires I'd rather just run the spool. With the weather here i really only drive it about four months of the year a couple times a week since I refuse to put a top (soft or Hard) on my jeep I think I defeats the purpose.
with that said, go spool
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 31780
lockers do have some give in them unlike spools. my tires dont make hardly any noise on the road with a detroit, now my buddy has his welded and all you haveto do is barly turn the wheel and the tires churp and squeal like crazy.

Dixon 4Wheelers
Build it, Break it,Fix it, Repeat!
88 mangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 66866
spool is definitely the way to go. you always know how the vehicle is going to react unlike a locker when engages and disengages depending if you are applying a load or not. friend had cj-5 with a detroit in rear and around turns if you coasted and then stepped into the throttle it was squirely. spool does the same no matter what. my .02
nsscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 81935
I run a spool in my dana 44 rear now, but im going with a detroit in my 14 bolt. because im tired of the spool lean, and my tires not even lasting me a year.
backyard wrenchers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2006, 03:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 70509
A spool is the cheap way out (other than a Lincoln Locker). A Detroit is good on long wheelbase vehicles for everyday/everyweather driving. Not so much fun on CJ5 length rigs. You will 'rub' the tires more with the spool increasing their wear.

I'm running ARB's front and rear. Get the bennies of a spool when you want them, and an open dif on the street. For anything other than a pure trail rig, especially short wheel base setups, I'd go with a selectable type locker. JMO.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 39371
Send a message via AIM to currupt4130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackfabricaton
A spool is the cheap way out (other than a Lincoln Locker). A Detroit is good on long wheelbase vehicles for everyday/everyweather driving. Not so much fun on CJ5 length rigs. You will 'rub' the tires more with the spool increasing their wear.

I'm running ARB's front and rear. Get the bennies of a spool when you want them, and an open dif on the street. For anything other than a pure trail rig, especially short wheel base setups, I'd go with a selectable type locker. JMO.

X2, I just spooled my rig, but its trail only, won't run anything else in the rear now. For a DD run a locker.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 77604
Setting up a spool front and rear in my D44's for my YJ, Just me $.02 Spool is the only way to go
Old 11-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 71504
a spool is very predictable no give i ran one the only prob is w/ air down tires
you cant turn very sharp i run a eaton elock now love it
high clearence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2006, 12:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 2485
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
Detroit. The shorter the wheelbase the more noticeable it will be on the street with a Detroit..... I drove my cj5 when it was 94" long on the street with a detroit and had no complaints. Problem I have with a spool is that it NEVER unlocks and really strains the drivetrain....Had a buddy running a spool in a Land Cruiser break a rear axle doing a u-turn on the street. Turning on the trail becomes crappy because it just wants to push, but the plus is that it will never break and is cheap, although Detroits are cheap for a 14 as well

To each their own I guess.
Ratz Racing #4821

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big thanks to the vendors that have helped us out!
Goatbuilt, South Bay Driveline, East Coast Gear Supply, Rugged Radios, 150tunes.com, Pro Comp, Raceline Wheels, FOX Shocks
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 81935
Im with you on that one. do what you want, like, and are familiar with.
backyard wrenchers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in