Ford 8.8 swap ??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 80641
Ford 8.8 swap ???

my cousins fiance has a ford 8.8 he doesnt want anymore and said he would give it to me for free. I like this guy. Anyway it has a limited slip and 28 spline. Gearing is different than the 4.56 gears i have in my jeep. I know that i can put all the right parts in so it will match my front dana 30. Thing that makes me wonder if this would be worth while is that it not only is a stronger axle but because i can put an arb locker in the rear to match the one i have in the front making my jeep would be easy and fun to drive on the street. But how hard of a general swap is this? If i do put it in i will be doing an soa at the same time. Has anyone done this swap and had issues? any sucess stories?

Last edited by offroadjunkie; 11-27-2006 at 10:41 AM.
offroadjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 22923
if it's JUST a 28 spline I would sell it and lok for a 44...or at least find a 31 spline 8.8

that 8.8 - is it drum also or is it from a Ranger pickup?

as for swapping issues - WHAT are you putting it into? YJ? TJ? ZJ?????

and there are a TON of success stories - but 99% of them are 31 spline swaps... you would basically have an axle that is PROBABLY 10% stronger than a Dana 35...

EDIT - I saw you are going to do a SOA...the swap is a piece of cake for a YJ - look here for a swap write up
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

Last edited by Benzz0; 11-27-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Benzz0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 80641
couldnt i just swap in stronger axle shafts? And according to manufacturers specs the ford 8.8 max tire size is a 37 and thats stock with the 28 spline. A dana 44, and im not hating on them, is only a 35. So i figure if i put a higher spline count in the ford axle it would be able to handle say 38s, which i probably wont be running for at least 2 years. And i know some guys use 44s and run 37 with no problems im just saying according to spec the ford is a stronger axle

Old 11-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 22923
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjunkie
couldnt i just swap in stronger axle shafts? And according to manufacturers specs the ford 8.8 max tire size is a 37 and thats stock with the 28 spline. A dana 44, and im not hating on them, is only a 35. So i figure if i put a higher spline count in the ford axle it would be able to handle say 38s, which i probably wont be running for at least 2 years. And i know some guys use 44s and run 37 with no problems im just saying according to spec the ford is a stronger axle

I would never run 38's without AT least a D60...but whatever

IF you want to swpa in stronger shafts you would need a larger spline carrier as well...why not save your time and find a 31 spline Explorer axle that has disc brakes - since you are gonna run beefier shoes might as well get nice brakes to go along with them...

I don't care what any OEM says about tire size - you can get a custom shaft for any axle...and since we now know WHERE you are heading with this thread you can ge tmore answers...

WHAT did that 8.8 come out of? If it is a Ranger the axle tubing might not be as thick as a explorer 8.8 and MAY flex more due tot he increased weight from the tires you are gonna put on it...

I am just saying I would THINK looooooong and hard on that boat anchor
Old 11-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 42789
From what I have read about the Ford 8.8 is that the housing are the same and all you would need is the axle shafts since you mentioned putting in an ARB.

YJs are pretty easy it install it in, but use goggle because there are a ton of write-ups on the web including lots of SOA installs. Also having the discs is a nice bonus, if it does
Calgary Jeep Association
CCJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 19016
If it's 28 spline, it came from either a Ranger or Mustang. Both are a couple inches narrower than your D30, something else to think about. I believe it well worth your time to find a F8.8 from an Explorer, that way it will be the correct width, 31 splines, and disk brakes.
DevinB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 58117
you are trying to spend a lot of money and time to make this 8.8 something it will never be. You should be able to find a 31 spline from an Explorer (with disc brakes) for $250.00 - $300.00,. I have a 8.8 with Yukon axle shafts, Detroit locker, no way would I invest this kind of $$ into a second class 8.8,.
Little Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 78762
I believe the 95+ explorer/navajo came with disk brakes. All ranger/mazda 8.8's came with drum rears.

THe 8.8 is EXTREMELY strong... never had to do squat to it besides putting 4.10's and detriot truetrac in it and it was a DD for 175k. I was running 33's and it was offroaded pretty good. THe front on those fords/mazdas are junk though.

Last edited by Maintain; 11-27-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Maintain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 80641
ok so i would just be better off going to the local pick an pull and getting an explorer 8.8.... good thing my girlfriends aunt and uncle own like 6 junk yards down south.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 69582
The 95+ explorer 8.8 is the one to get. Beefier than the 35 and slightly stronger than the 44, comes with disc brakes. Now with that said, it will require some fabwork to install. I found a 99 explorer 8.8, and then a week later scored an XJ 44 at the same yard. Weighed the options and well, the 44 is under the jeep, and the 8.8 paid for a good chunk of the detroit that's in the 44. Could've done it the other way, but the 44 is a bolt in, has strong enough axles for 33's (my max tire size, I swear), and was cheaper to put a locker in. Plus it doesn't have C-Clips, and doesn't hang as low as the 8.8. The 8.8 is strong, but will take some work to get it under your Heep.
markw365 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2006, 11:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 81110
Check out the faq for totw on this 8.8/44

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[QUOTE=300sniper;6771528]again, fuck you and your little dog too.[/QUOTE]
gunmetalxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 49539
Send a message via MSN to BCYJ
FYI, this is an old FYI from the second post, ALL EXPLORER 8.8's are 31 spline.

Stock for stock, an Explorer 8.8 will always be stronger than a D44.

Lest rest the 8.8 c-clip debate. C-clips have been given an awful name from the D35, and comparing a D35 shaft and shaft strength to that of an 8.8 is a useless debate. Most 8.8 shaft failures occur with tires greater than 37",

IMO the main reason the D35 shafts fail soo much is the A) lack of strength and B) the fact that the Axle tubes are weak, allowing the shaft to bend. The axle tubes are, as thin as they already are, narrowed to fit into the centre section, allowing flex where there should be strength. D35 shaft failures also more commonly occur at the splines from over torquing, not at the C-clip. Yes the end result is still that the shaft falls out. But it should be changed anyways, granted not at the spot on the trail that it broke.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 81110
Besides the shaft will not just fall out of an 8.8 because of the discs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[QUOTE=300sniper;6771528]again, fuck you and your little dog too.[/QUOTE]
gunmetalxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 51899
Ditch the 28 spliner, its not an upgrade.
As for 8.8 strength & C-clips. Superior Super 8.8 kit; C-clip eliminator, Torino bearings & stronger than 35 spline D60 shafts.

As for 8.8 FAQ's : http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=674123
stjjames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 8093
Quote:
But how hard of a general swap is this?
It's been done hundreds, if not 1,000's of times, and in comparison to lots of other swaps going on here, it's not hard at all relatively speaking.

Quote:
If i do put it in i will be doing an soa at the same time. Has anyone done this swap and had issues?
If you properly address all the appropriate areas of concern, there shouldn't be any issues. Your research and components you choose along the way will be a direct reflection as to the homework you do & what you decide to do with it. If it comes out like junk, you know who to look at and place fault, but on the other hand if it comes out just the way you like you'll be glad you did your own homework.

If you decide to take many short-cuts & use parts that are known to be inferior, you'll have issues & regrets accordingly.

Quote:
any sucess stories?
I installed my 8.8 approx. 5 years ago at the same time I went SOA in my YJ. This was before all sorts of internet info was floating around and no kits were available to help ease things along.

I pieced together my SOA items and things turned out fairly well, no real regrets. I did lots of homework and chose the best items I could afford for my budget.

Last edited by u-joint; 12-01-2006 at 11:15 PM.
u-joint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in