Pirate 4x4 banner

Tips for removing a jeep starter

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  lutzke21 
#1 ·
I have a 2.5 from a 96 XJ that i need to get the starter off. the bolts are those reverse Torx style bolts. I tryed a 12 point socket that fit the best (i don't recall the size, but it fit kind of tight) and it stripped after a decent amount of force. nothing in my tool box seams to work for me. Is the bolt extractor set the only way to go?

I'm sure this has been hashed out before, but search seams to be down on all my go to sites and google is failing me too.....

#4 ·
The ones on my 90 YJ were the reverse torx head type, but they came out with a 12 point just fine. You may want to try adding heat, or just weld a new bolt head on it and use that

I usually find that a propane torch and slipjoint pliers or vicegrips work wonders, if I have to I grab the OA torch or just do the nut weld option.

#6 ·
Mine were rusty and looked like they had been wrenched on before. Sprayed them with PB blaster and I had to hammer a 12pt socket on to them to get a decent grip. Had more problems dropping the dust shield than anything else though. I also ended up doing this in the mud at the trail head. Not fun.

#7 ·
My '90 wrangler had regular bolts on it... But I just did the starter on my 94 last week and found these same reverse torx shit. A 3/8 took one off ok, but rounded the other, so I hammered a 9mm onto it and broke the damn socket (craftsman, no problem). So, went and bought some new impact sockets (didn't have them smaller ones yet), tapped the impact 9mm on, impacted it off without a problem. Still haven't replaced the bolts either. None of the kragen/checker/schucks had any in stock...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.