Newb Locking Hub question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 85478
Send a message via AIM to Nemesiszx2 Send a message via MSN to Nemesiszx2 Send a message via Yahoo to Nemesiszx2
Newb Locking Hub question

Could anyone expalin to me why you run locking hubs. Do you have to run them to be locked in the front? Do you have to install them on older axles? Or is it un necessary on a new axle? I guess I just don't get why you need them. Be gentle I am trying to learn. Thanks guys
Nemesiszx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2007, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 67642
when you lock your hub, it "connects" your axles to your tires, which turns your axles and driveshaft with the tire, which wears on parts. With you hubs not locked, when you're tires spin, that's all they do, so your U Joints don't see any wear on them. Other axles have vaccum disconnects which picks and chooses when to engage, or flanges, which is fully engaged 24-7.

They're not necessary, but if you have bad pinion angles in the front, or just like to save U Joints, they're nice. they can be a bit pricey and are a weak link on bigger axles. HTH
Old 01-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 85478
Send a message via AIM to Nemesiszx2 Send a message via MSN to Nemesiszx2 Send a message via Yahoo to Nemesiszx2
A locker locks the innershafts of an axle together then and the Locking hub locks the wheel to the outer shafts. But if you don't have the hubs are you truly locked if you are running a locker?

Last edited by Nemesiszx2; 01-20-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Nemesiszx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 82394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesiszx2 View Post
A locker locks the innershafts of an axle together then and the Locking hub locks the wheel to the outer shafts. But if you don't have the hubs are you truly locked if you are running a locker?
Yes,& you can't UNlock & if for any reason you have to drive on the street in frontwheeldrive w/o hub lockouts or vac disco, you'll wish you weren't locked in your diff. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by BerzerCO; 01-20-2007 at 09:30 PM.
BerzerCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in