TH400 Problem - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 94058
TH400 Problem

Ive got a 78 CJ with a 76 wagoneer th400 and an Advance adapter for the dana 300. It is an amc bolt bellhousing. It has a BM shift kit in street/strip mode. Reverse is sluggish. I put it in reverse I have to give it some gas before it will take off. Slipping till it gets rolling.

I started it earlier and had no gears. Took out the torque converter bolts and rotated it 1 hole and it would move after that. Torque converter also has a small vibe.It was worse before turning it one hole. Before bolting it up there is about 1/4" gap between the flexplate and TC. Is it possible the TC is not engaging the front pump sufficiantly? Do I need spacers between the TC and flexplate?

Any ideas about what could be wrong?
ILPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 481
Wink

I have never run a B&M Transpac or Shift Improver kit in a Turbo 400 (although I do have a Transpac Turbo 400 kit new in box at my shop for an upcoming project) but I have run them in Turbo 350's. Is this a problem after installing the kit or a problem that has developed after the kit has been run a while. If its coincides with installing the kit then I would make sure you have a proper amount of fluid in the tranny which I'm sure you have checked by now, you may have leakage of the valve body if you had any pieces of gasket material that was "stuck" and did not get cleaned off before reassembly or possiby some dirt/metal or a metal "burr" on one of the valve is hanging up one of the valves in the valve body. There should be at least 3/16 inch between the converter and the flexplate so you might shim it up with one washer--use a drill bit as a thickness guage so you don't get it too tight probably ok as is if its really only 1/4".

Jason
Brutpwr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 94058
Thanks. This has been ongoing. I bought the trans used here and probably should have rebuilt it prior to the install. I have chcked the valves to make sure they are free and checked my check ball locations etc. It seems like either the TC is engaging the pump right or there is a pumping problem.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 481
Does it seem like the torque converter has the same gap between the flywheel before and after you moved it one hole over? Is there any noise associated with the vibration? Well I'm really no transmission tech but I'd guess I'd try another torque converter to see if improves the situation. You have to rotate the torque converter and push it in a few times for it to engage the pump in the transmission fully seated. No tears in the valve body gaskets? Not even sure but the gaskets B&M supplies may be different than the stock gaskets so call them to be sure if you end up replacing them.

Jason
Brutpwr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 94058
I think I'm going to rebuild the whole thing if I gotta pull that heavy sucker out anyway. Not sure what stall converter I want to go back with. Also need engine braking in all gears.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 113548
Are you going to rebuild it yourself or have it done? I too have this trans and would like to know how dificult it is to rebuild yourself or if I should take to to a trans shop.
myridge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 94058
had a shop do it. $700 for complete with new t/c. I supplied an art carr reverse manual vb with engine braking. Money well spent. Works like a champ off road. LOVE the engine braking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in