Needing Transfer Case Help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 112755
Needing Transfer Case Help

I'm starting my first build this summer, I have a 73 CJ5 to start with, but I don't plan on it being anything like what it is now at the end of the summer. This website is exactly the type of place I want to get my information from. I have been trying to learn about the different types of transfer cases and options ie stacking them, changing gears out, etc. but I can't seem to find a real good source that covers it all. Is there something like a TOTM about T-cases? BTW I'm swapping in a 350 and planning on using a SM465 Tranny. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated as well...

thanks
Drummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 94779
I would run a 203/205 if it was my rig. If you dont want a doubler, a 205 would be cheap and strong.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 65637
In a CJ5?Better plan on streching it.I would run an np231 to a dana 300.But then again it will be alot of coin to get all that setup and functional.Why not run a 4to1 dana 300?Or I would look at a stak 3speed case or the atlas 4 speed if you need all the different ratios.
My1stNiceJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 80165
X2 on the D300 with 4:1 gears.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 108872
Send a message via AIM to MonsterSeven Send a message via Yahoo to MonsterSeven
CJ5s are not long enough for what you have planned. especially not the earlier ones like yours. you probably have the dana 20 already, which has the texas bolt pattern. either way you look at it, you will have to use adapter plates behind the 350/SM465 which shortens your rear drive shaft. you could build up your 20, its not a bad case, just not as hefty as a dana 300 [round bolt pattern].
Old 04-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 112755
Thanks for all the replies, I know that the wheelbase is an issue and I have already planned to try and lengthen it. I want to figure out what all needs to go under it before I do that though so that way I don't end up doing work twice. Besides that I'm taking it down to the frame first thing this summer so it'd be nice to do a lot of this work while I have that done.

Anyone know what the cost of dana 300 should be? Also, where would be a good place to pick one up? I've checked craigslist....

Thanks
Old 04-25-2008, 03:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 65637
Craiglist is a great place.I was/am selling a dana 300 but I am waiting for the payment.For reference I sell Dana 300s for 200$ plus shipping.If you could pick 1 up for 100$ I would say thats a good deal.I must say thats alot of work to do to an older CJ5.It may not be the best bet.You may be better with a CJ7 just for the legnth of your drivetrain choice.That may not be an option as you have the CJ5 already but for for what you want it may be more cost effective.Thats just my 2cents Good Luck
My1stNiceJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 112755
Okay I've been checking Craigslist pretty regularly. Hopefully a deal pops up on there soon. I know the CJ5 is not the best starting point (I'm figuring that out more every day) but I have it to work with already and I can sell the parts off that to make some of my money back. The jeep was bought brand new by my grandfather in 73. He drove it, my dad had it for 15 years and now I plan on doing it. I'm not much for mushy sentimental stuff, but I'd like to use the cj5.

Thanks for the input though.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 14599
I don't know how you're going to use your vehicle but the 5 may not be the best candidate for a major makeover. For mild crawling and trailriding upgrading the stock components usually works best and cheapest and least hassle. For example, the frame needs to be boxed. If it has a 232, plug in a 258. Put 3.15 gears in the transfer case. Swap in a Ford T18. Tru Tracs front and rear (Detroit is a mite twitchy in a SWB). Visit Novak Adapters website to answer all your questions.
jeepnuts99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 112755
My initial thought was to just restore, but the 304 needs a rebuild and the t-15 needs to be replaced. I looked into rebuild kits and new gears, bearings, etc. and it's just as expensive to upgrade than it is to repair. I don't plan on this thing being able to win competitions or even compete really for a long time. I'm in college, on a somewhat tight budget and just wanted to do this as a hobby. I understand everyone's concerns about the cj5 not being the best start but it's what I have and I'm not on an unlimited budget to afford something else. Not being afraid of a challenge and a lot of work, eventually I will make it happen.

I just needed help with the Xcase and as of right now I am liking the dana 300. Thanks for everyone's help

Last edited by Drummerboy; 04-26-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in