Goodyear MTR's versus BFG Mud terrain - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 52165
Goodyear MTR's versus BFG Mud terrain

Looking for new tires. Looking at Goodyear MTR's and the BFG Mud Terrains not the new BFG Mud KM2.

Anyone have experience with both. Looking for a tire for loose dirt/rock and rocks. The only reason asking is because i can get the BFG's for $20 tires less.

I know the MTR's have reputaion (good) with the jeeps guys.

thans
Pat

Thanks
Pat
patman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 108872
Send a message via AIM to MonsterSeven Send a message via Yahoo to MonsterSeven
personally i prefer the MTRs. i have had both and the big lugs on the BFGs did not grip on ice at all. but you dont have to deal with that, so go with the cheaper ones.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
BFH

Member # 97978
MTRs where not very impressive for me. My wheeling is mostly wet, muddy rock.
Lots of guys out west love them, and they do seem to work well in dry rocks.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 80372
I've been running BFG Mud Terrain for several years now. I'm in Az so the wheeling is similar to sourthern cal. I've been happy overall with the tires. From what I've seen, I think the MTRs get a little better traction on the rocks but the difference is minimal. If money was no object I would say go with the MTRs. If your tight on funds, then go with BFG.

For moderate wheeling, you really can't go wrong with either tire.
Lifes a Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 53564
I have BFG MTs 33x12.5 on 10" wheels on a YJ. MTRs on a stock Rubi 25k miles on them. I use them mostly at the sand dunes. On the road the MTRs are noisy. They cup severly and need to be rotated often. The BFGs have a quieter and smoother ride. But they are run at only 20 psi which is ideal for them. At the dunes the BFGs excel. Cant wait to get rid of the MTRs . Havent had the MTRs in the mud so Icant give an honest opinion on that.
Ron
may pop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 49875
I've had MTRs on my Jeep for a couple of months and a couple of trail runs. I'm ditching them as quickly as possible.

In a 15" wheel size, the load rating is C with a 3-ply sidewall. A couple of weeks ago, I blew a hole in my sidewall...on the highway! I could stick my finger in the hole and see just how paper thin the sidewall was.

I'm getting some Maxxis Bighorns in a 16" size. These have a D rating with 8 plies. Some tire manufacturers offer an E rating with 10 plies.

So I'm sure that MTRs would be fine in a 16" or 17" size with a higher load rating. Just not in a 15" size.
xjohnnyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73093
I have had 33 inch BFGs and now on 35 inch MTRs. The MTRs have a much softer rubber compound that helps on the rocks. So for So Cal its perfect IMO. Although they do wear out faster than BFGs. I had no problem on my BFGs, I just had a great deal on the MTRs. If you are going to be on the street most of the time then go with BFG. But I love my MTRs so far on my DD/trail rig:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Overbuilt 97 Wrangler | 40" Black Labels, 14" Fox Coilovers, Trailing Arm Suspension, Atlas 4.3, Warn Winch, fully caged and tested
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#BajaJeep @BajaJeep_mike

Last edited by miguelitojeep; 04-25-2008 at 12:21 AM.
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 75597
I went through two sets of BFG MTs. Great traction in local conditions, poor treadlife (expected). Unfortunately, I destroyed one tire beyond repair on each set: on the street both times. Both times punctures through the tread. Very dissapointing. I've had multiple sets of BFG ATs on different vehicles over the years and had no issues at all with flats, wear etc...

I have BFG ATs on the CJ right now, as it sees about 50/50 on/off road, with some occasional rocks. Not much mud to deal with locally. No issues at all. I'm strongly considering the Goodyear MTRs for the next tire purchase, based on performance and experience with the guys I wheel with.

The new BFG MT might be different story altogether, I'm told the carcass is totally different from the old MT. Too bad there's no 15" yet. Hmm... could be an excuse for new wheels.
jims cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73093
I have seen the KM2s in action and they perform rather well! I hope to hear good things in the future about these tires

Overbuilt 97 Wrangler | 40" Black Labels, 14" Fox Coilovers, Trailing Arm Suspension, Atlas 4.3, Warn Winch, fully caged and tested
#BajaJeep @BajaJeep_mike
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 84577
I'm going to seriously consider the new KM2s when they come out. The old BFG MTs look like an MT should, but the sidewalls leave a lot to be desired. I remember plugging a set of 35s with a screwdriver and some silicon and it stayed that way for 6 months. I have Mickey Thompson MTZs now, and while the sidewall is strong, and they grip like nobody's business, the rocks are chewing them up really bad.
ChrisTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 6426
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnnyc View Post
I've had MTRs on my Jeep for a couple of months and a couple of trail runs. I'm ditching them as quickly as possible.

In a 15" wheel size, the load rating is C with a 3-ply sidewall. A couple of weeks ago, I blew a hole in my sidewall...on the highway! I could stick my finger in the hole and see just how paper thin the sidewall was.

I'm getting some Maxxis Bighorns in a 16" size. These have a D rating with 8 plies. Some tire manufacturers offer an E rating with 10 plies.

So I'm sure that MTRs would be fine in a 16" or 17" size with a higher load rating. Just not in a 15" size.
Don't want to burst your bubble, but NO radial tires actually have 8 or 10 plies. They are 8 or 10 ply rated -- 8 = Load Range D, 10 = Load range E.

MT/R's have 3 actual plies and a compound designed to resist cuts. Many other of the serious off road tires have 3 plies. As load ratings (ply ratings) go up, the sidewall cords typically get larger.

I believe the bighorns are only 2 actual plies.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 49875
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87YJ View Post
As load ratings (ply ratings) go up, the sidewall cords typically get larger.

No, not bursting my bubble. I am the furthest thing from a tire engineer.

But basically what I was saying is what you said above. As you move from a C to a D or E load rating, the sidewalls are stronger.

I've seen firsthand how thin the sidewalls are on a C rated MTR. I've also seen how much thicker the sidewall is on a D rated Bighorn and an E rated Toyo Open Country MT.

That's all I'm basing my choice on, after talking to some people who know about tire technology. A lot of that just went over my head though.

This was on a 33x12.50x15 MTR with a C load rating and less than 300 miles. Not exactly confidence inspiring...

Last edited by xjohnnyc; 04-26-2008 at 09:28 AM.
xjohnnyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 12557
Send a message via AIM to CaseyP Send a message via Yahoo to CaseyP
the only thing i couldnt stand about the gy's was the weak sidewall...i tore 3 or 4 in the time i owned em

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]
[/COLOR]
[QUOTE=ndeepoffroad;12310146]A well rounded wheeler will be prepared to prepare a delicious meal after a day of quality wheeling. Shit man errbudy know dat. :shaking:[/QUOTE]
CaseyP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 17687

By jeepdaddy, shot with C740UZ at 2008-04-19

i'm quite happy with my mtr's . i had a set of 285/75r16MTR'S on my superduty- got almost 40,000 mile(about 4 tire rotations) out of em !!

i've rip holes in sidewalls of swamper radials and pro-comp's before - haven't killed a mtr so far

i've had many bfg's in the past and liked em , i just like the mtr better

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in